TreeView - re-ordering nodes client-side

Homer J. Simpson

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to C#/ASP.NET 2.0 (or any .NET for that matter). I've
spent a few weeks working with server-side controls, but I've yet to do
anything client-side. I've now reached the point where I need to start
doing just this.

For one, I have tree control (programmatically populated from a hierarchical
table) for which I'd like to give the user the ability to drag and drop
nodes. Essentially, reassign a different parent to a node, and redraw the
tree.

Where can I find a good discussion that covers this? I'm not quite getting
the right Google search keywords.

Homer J. Simpson

....forgot to mention: I'm not quite ready yet to Ajaxify everything "just
because I can".

Homer J. Simpson

...forgot to mention: I'm not quite ready yet to Ajaxify everything "just
because I can".

Ok. I'm still not willing to go all Ajax, but is there any discussion
anywhere on manipulating the treeview client-side? I want to detect a click
on a node, and a drop on another node. I'd love to see something that
discusses how the nodes can be identified client-side and wire up the
appropriate events...

My nodes already have a unique value stored in TreeNode.Value, so really,
it's just a matter of setting up a server postback and providing the values
of the two nodes involved--I can work out the parent reassignment code
server-side easily enough.