Trent Curry, wsanford@wallysanford.com, and falsely using existing email addresses

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Wally Sanford, Feb 16, 2004.

  1. I see that someone has been posting to this and other groups since
    late 2003 using a false email address, one that happens to belong to
    me. I see that this person frequently engages in behaviors such as
    flaming, netcopping, and other generally obnoxious behavior.

    The problem I have with this is that I don't know how someone can
    distinguish my (hopefully polite and netiquitte-compliant) posts from
    this malefactor's. There are, suprisingly, many Wally Sanford's out
    there: one running a nudist camp, one working at Diazo, and so forth,
    but none of those are me. The difference between them, and the
    malefactor posting as is that all but the
    latter are not falsely using my domain, wallysanford.com, for their
    email address.

    I suppose I feel poorly about the situation for several reasons: one
    is the aditional spam I receive as a result of the subject poster's
    posting, another is the obnoxiousness of his/her posts, and the
    difficulty in discerning me from him/her. I realize that Usenet is to
    some extent anonymous, and that I may have no formal grounds to
    prevent such inappropriate use of my email address or domain, but I am
    interested in limiting it by whatever means that are available.

    I am expert in neither Perl nor Usenet, but I wonder if some of you
    who are might advise me how to contact this individual, and reason
    with him/her, or alternatively, if you know his/her physical address.

    Thank you.

    Wally Sanford, Feb 16, 2004

  2. Re: Trent Curry, , and falsely using existingemail addresses

    Wally Sanford wrote:
    > I see that someone has been posting to this and other groups since
    > late 2003 using a false email address, one that happens to belong
    > to me.

    <snip>

    > I realize that ... I may have no formal grounds to prevent such
    > inappropriate use of my email address or domain,

    I thought (and I surely hope) that abusing somebody's email address
    that way is illegal.

    The first thing I would do is trying to figure out which ISP he is
    using to access Internet, and asking them to take actions. The
    "NNTP-Posting-Host:" header seems to contain that info.

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Feb 16, 2004

  3. Wally Sanford

    Anno Siegel Guest

    Wally Sanford <> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:

    > I see that someone has been posting to this and other groups since
    > late 2003 using a false email address, one that happens to belong to
    > me. I see that this person frequently engages in behaviors such as
    > flaming, netcopping, and other generally obnoxious behavior.

    Yes, we know the guy, by the name "Trent Curry" and perhaps a half or
    full dozen others he(?) has been using. His specialty is starting a
    flame war, then posting supportive followups to himself under one
    or more assumed identities.

    > The problem I have with this is that I don't know how someone can
    > distinguish my (hopefully polite and netiquitte-compliant) posts from
    > this malefactor's.

    If that is your only concern you don't have much to worry. The guy has
    tried his shenanigans three or four times on clpm, but is intellectually
    unable to pull them through. He soon forgets who he is posting as, which
    leads to blunders like saying "I" when he ought to say "he" and similar
    giveaways.

    He is also unable to spell the word "just": one of three times it comes
    out as "jsut". Since "just" is indispensable in expressing his exasperation
    this happens in about every post of his. In other words, he is found
    out before he has really started.

    [...]

    > I am expert in neither Perl nor Usenet, but I wonder if some of you
    > who are might advise me how to contact this individual, and reason
    > with him/her, or alternatively, if you know his/her physical address.

    From his past behavior I wouldn't expect him to use your address again.
    He seems to pick them up at random for use in one of his campaigns, which
    lasts until the forgery has become absolutely undeniable. The next
    time he picks new ones.

    Anno

    Anno Siegel, Feb 16, 2004
  4. Gunnar Hjalmarsson <> wrote in message news:<c0pq75$1ab952
    > The first thing I would do is trying to figure out which ISP he is
    > using to access Internet, and asking them to take actions. The
    > "NNTP-Posting-Host:" header seems to contain that info.

    Thanks, Gunnar.

    Wally Sanford, Feb 16, 2004
  5. Wally Sanford

    Trent Curry Guest

    Wally Sanford wrote:

    How exactly did you assicate me with this? I have nothing to do with
    whom you speak of. I would not even know of this posting has someoen not
    alerted me to it.

    --
    Trent Curry

    perl -e
    '($s=qq/e29716770256864702379602c6275605/)=~s!([0-9a-f]{2})!pack("h2",$1
    )!eg;print(reverse("$s")."\n");'

    Trent Curry, Feb 18, 2004
  6. Wally Sanford

    Trent Curry Guest

    Re: T*ent C*rry, , and falsely using existing email addresses

    Wally Sanford wrote:
    > "Anno Siegel" <-berlin.de> wrote in message
    >
    >> From his past behavior I wouldn't expect him to use your address
    >> again. He seems to pick them up at random for use in one of his
    >> campaigns, which lasts until the forgery has become absolutely
    >> undeniable. The next
    >> time he picks new ones.
    >>
    >> Anno

    > Thanks, Anno. Yeah, I spent some time searching around about this
    > loon, and I see that he goes by Man*ny Wil*o, Al MacH**ney, R*bin
    > G*vens, and a host of others. I think I can tell when he stopped
    > using one of them and started using my name as an alias.
    >
    > Harmless though he may be, you can imagine my dismay, in that I do
    > not wish to appear to be any more of a loon than I manage to be on my
    > own, nor do I wish to be confused with Uber Loons, lest I get a cool
    > reception on some group. Say I revived my interest in Perl and
    > unwittingly posted to this group using my actual name? At best, I
    > might get support only from the, I'd guess, few that haven't
    > killfiled this character. That's why I was trying to munge the
    > character's aliases above, in hopes that those with loaded killfiles
    > might see this.

    I have and never had any association with any one either of you have
    just listed. Again, I do not know why I was put in this list, I am jsut
    greatfu lto the person that alerted me of this thread.

    Trent Curry, Feb 18, 2004
  7. Wally Sanford

    gnari Guest

    "Trent Curry" <> wrote in message
    > Wally Sanford wrote:
    > > "Anno Siegel" <-berlin.de> wrote in message

    > I have and never had any association with any one either of you have
    > just listed. Again, I do not know why I was put in this list, I am jsut

    oops. you wrote 'jsut'. (see other post by Anno on this thread)

    gnari, Feb 18, 2004
  8. Wally Sanford

    gnari wrote:
    > "Trent Curry" <> wrote in message
    >> Wally Sanford wrote:
    >>> "Anno Siegel" <-berlin.de> wrote in message

    >> I have and never had any association with any one either of you have
    >> just listed. Again, I do not know why I was put in this list, I am
    >> jsut

    > oops. you wrote 'jsut'. (see other post by Anno on this thread)

    This is typical. And thank you for reminding me of the reason I was
    first (falsely) branded under that group. I am neither the first nor the
    only to make such a typo, and using it to make such a connection is
    absurd. I may not type perfectly, but that does not automatically make
    part of said group. And that is the ONLY remote semblance of proof that
    has ever been used against me. So I once again maintain my original
    statement.

    Trent Curry, Feb 18, 2004