    frameset from outside the whole frameset site. So, I want to load the
    frameset, frame and the specific page.

    moon
    moon, Jul 9, 2003

  2. moon wrote:

    > I have a frameset with a few frames in it that loads side graphics,
    > main navigation, subnavigation and content. Everything works fine.

    Really? Given that they are frames that is very odd.

    http://stone.thecoreworlds.net/www/frames/

    > Now, I decided to add a gateway index page with buttons that lead to a
    > specific page within the frameset. ie. aboutus, contact,
    > products,etc... The buttons work but it obviously does not load the
    > whole frameset with the specific page in it. It just loads the page.

    Obviously

    > In other words I want to load a specific page into a frame within a
    > frameset from outside the whole frameset site. So, I want to load the
    > frameset, frame and the specific page.

    Best option: Ditch Frames

    Next best option:
    (1) Create a frameset page (with GREAT <noframes> content) for every
    combination of pages to be viewed.
    (2) Make all links point to a frameset page with target="_top"
    (3) Use robots.txt to ask search engines to index only the frameset pages
    (to ignore orphan pages)

    The rubbish solution that doesn't work well with search engines:
    (1) Link to frameset.htm?page=foo
    (2) Use JavaScript (in the onload event of the frameset) to change the
    document.location of specific frames depending on the value of page.
    (3) Confuse the whatsits about of any visitors you get who do not have
    JavaScript enabled.

    --
    David Dorward http://david.us-lot.org/
    Redesign in progress: http://stone.thecoreworlds.net/