Tricky question !!! logging file access

Ammar

A tricky question:
I have a file i my local web sever IIS which can be accessed through the
internet, how do i develope a log file to know who accessed the file and
when??
is it also possible to write a script that detects when the file is accessed
and send an e mail to a certain recepient (ex me) about the ip addresss and
time when the file was accessed?
Thanks
Ammar

Evertjan.

Ammar wrote on 20 jun 2004 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
A tricky question:
I have a file i my local web sever IIS which can be accessed through
the internet, how do i develope a log file to know who accessed the
file and when??

Why tricky, please explain?

This is normal ASP work, if you only want to log the IP-address [which
could just be a proxi server].
how do i develope

By reading the many examples on the web.

Detect IP with request.servervariables("remote_addr")
Detect date/time with now()
Write it to a file with "file system object"
is it also possible to write a script that detects when the file is
accessed and send an e mail to a certain recepient (ex me) about the
ip addresss and time when the file was accessed?

Yes.

Use one of the many asp email includes, like CDO, CDONTS, JMAIL, etc.

Jeff Cochran

A tricky question:
I have a file i my local web sever IIS which can be accessed through the
internet, how do i develope a log file to know who accessed the file and
when??
is it also possible to write a script that detects when the file is accessed
and send an e mail to a certain recepient (ex me) about the ip addresss and
time when the file was accessed?

If it's accessed via HTTP request, it's already in the IIS logs. How
is it being accessed? If called from an ASP page, or it is an ASP
page (If neither, it would be off-topic here anyway...), then you can
send an email from that ASP page when the request is made.

Jeff