Tried to install activeperl on windows xp home

hauksnightmare

Beginner question...I tried to install activeperl on windows xp home
edition, but according to the c prompt perl is invalid. What did I do
wrong/ how can I fix this?

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

hauksnightmare said:
Beginner question...I tried to install activeperl on windows xp home
edition, but according to the c prompt perl is invalid. What did I do
wrong/ how can I fix this?

Install IndigoPerl instead. :)

Not joking. It's *very* easily done, and you get Apache with CGI, PHP
and mod_perl (the latter somewhat old, though) thrown in.

http://www.indigostar.com/indigoperl.htm

Sisyphus

hauksnightmare said:
Beginner question...I tried to install activeperl on windows xp home
edition, but according to the c prompt perl is invalid. What did I do
wrong/ how can I fix this?

You probably haven't added the location of perl.exe to your path. Assuming
perl.exe is in the folder C:\perl\bin just enter at the prompt:
path=C:\perl\bin;%path%

(If perl.exe is located elsewhere, then modify accordingly.)

To check, enter:
perl -v

(See Windows Help for directions on how to add your perl\bin folder
*permanently* to your path. Otherwise you need to set the path as above
every time you open a new cmd.exe window.)

Cheers,
Rob

John Bokma

Sisyphus said:
You probably haven't added the location of perl.exe to your path.
Assuming perl.exe is in the folder C:\perl\bin just enter at the
prompt: path=C:\perl\bin;%path%

(If perl.exe is located elsewhere, then modify accordingly.)

To check, enter:
perl -v

(See Windows Help for directions on how to add your perl\bin folder
*permanently* to your path. Otherwise you need to set the path as
above every time you open a new cmd.exe window.)

AFAIK ActiveState does this all for you.

John Bokma

hauksnightmare said:
Beginner question...I tried to install activeperl on windows xp home
edition, but according to the c prompt perl is invalid. What did I do
wrong/ how can I fix this?

Copy paste the exact error, and what you did.

Sisyphus

John Bokma said:
You probably haven't added the location of perl.exe to your path.
[snip]

AFAIK ActiveState does this all for you.

Depends on how you install. If you install from their zip package, there's
an option that prevents them from screwing with the registry (and the path).
I don't know if that option exists with the msi package .... I suspect not
..... which is one reason that I always install from the zip package :)

Cheers,
Rob