Triggering automated Emails

Benny

Dear All,

I need to send a set of Emails from my application (reminders) each month
1st. Is there anyway in ASP scripts to trigger an event to run
automatically? I have no dedicated server, so no DLLs or Scheduler scripts
can be used. Also adding the trigger script in the application object may
not send emails in time, as we have not enough visitors to that application.
Is there any way other than 'Clicking a Send button'?

Any support will be appritiated.

Warm Regards,
Benny

McKirahan

Benny said:
Dear All,

I need to send a set of Emails from my application (reminders) each month
1st. Is there anyway in ASP scripts to trigger an event to run
automatically? I have no dedicated server, so no DLLs or Scheduler scripts
can be used. Also adding the trigger script in the application object may
not send emails in time, as we have not enough visitors to that application.
Is there any way other than 'Clicking a Send button'?

Any support will be appritiated.

Warm Regards,
Benny

Can you use your computer to schedule an ASP page monthly?

I use Task Manager to execute an ASP page daily at 3:00 AM.

Evertjan.

McKirahan wrote on 14 okt 2005 in
Can you use your computer to schedule an ASP page monthly?

I use Task Manager to execute an ASP page daily at 3:00 AM.

Do you mean through the server's browser?

Benny

We can use add the event in Windows scheduler, which will launch the emall
sending script.

Mostly this would be done only if you have a dedicated server.
Benny

McKirahan

Benny said:
We can use add the event in Windows scheduler, which will launch the emall
sending script.

Mostly this would be done only if you have a dedicated server.
Benny

What do your ASP pages run on if not a server?

Steven Burn

I'm guessing he means he's using a third party host (can be a royal PITA in
cases where you have special requirements such as scheduled scripts etc)

Benny, your only option is to have a script or application running and
scheduled on your home computer, to connect and run, the script on your
server. However, because the URL would have to be in the public zone (i.e.
htdocs), your going to have to find a more secure way of doing whatever it
is your script is doing (should the URL ever become publicly known, your
going to be looking at the possibility of abuse .... not to mention some
seriously peeved mail recipients).

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Evertjan.

Steven Burn wrote on 14 okt 2005 in
I'm guessing he means he's using a third party host (can be a royal
PITA in cases where you have special requirements such as scheduled
scripts etc)

Benny, your only option is to have a script or application running and
scheduled on your home computer, to connect and run, the script on
your server. However, because the URL would have to be in the public
zone (i.e. htdocs), your going to have to find a more secure way of
doing whatever it is your script is doing (should the URL ever become
publicly known, your going to be looking at the possibility of abuse
.... not to mention some seriously peeved mail recipients).

Why couldn't the script run automaticly on the first visit to your
/index.asp or on the first session_start after 3 o'clock in the morning?

A second running can easily be made impossibe.

Steven Burn

It could do, but thats not entirely reliable .... (i.e. though unlikely,
what happens if no-one visits the page for a couple days?)

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Evertjan.

Steven Burn wrote on 14 okt 2005 in
It could do, but thats not entirely reliable .... (i.e. though unlikely,
what happens if no-one visits the page for a couple days?)

I have a visitors number of about 300 a day, so in my case that is
unlikely.

Sending a lot of emails from a site/an organisation no one visits and
wanting to do that every day, smells to me like a tin of spam.

However you could be the triggering visitor yourself in such a case.

Steven Burn

hehe, I know it's highly unlikely that there'd be no visitors.... twas just
a sort of "just incase" type of thing ;o)

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Roland Hall

in message : I need to send a set of Emails from my application (reminders) each month
: 1st. Is there anyway in ASP scripts to trigger an event to run
: automatically? I have no dedicated server, so no DLLs or Scheduler scripts
: can be used. Also adding the trigger script in the application object may
: not send emails in time, as we have not enough visitors to that
application.
: Is there any way other than 'Clicking a Send button'?
:
: Any support will be appritiated.

I could do it but it will require having another computer on the Internet
that you have complete control of that's always online. A desktop is fine.

You could have a .vbs file run an HTTPRequest to an ASP page that sends the
email. Since you have control, just add the .vbs file to the scheduler.
Piece of pie. I like pie better than cake. (O:=

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */

larrybud2002

Benny said:
Dear All,

I need to send a set of Emails from my application (reminders) each month
1st. Is there anyway in ASP scripts to trigger an event to run
automatically? I have no dedicated server, so no DLLs or Scheduler scripts
can be used. Also adding the trigger script in the application object may
not send emails in time, as we have not enough visitors to that application.
Is there any way other than 'Clicking a Send button'?

We send all of our automated emails from SQL server.

abhijeet sharma

please give me the complete code of the automatic triggering of emails
in asp.net

Evertjan.

abhijeet sharma wrote on 18 okt 2005 in
please give me the complete code of the automatic triggering of emails
in asp.net

1 this is not a payed helpdesk,
so you would have to show the code you heve made sofar. But:

2 without quoting we don't know where you are reacting on. But:

3 this is a classic ASP only NG. For asp.net please ask a dotnet NG.