Trimming of signals

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by jonasmaes@gmail.com, Oct 11, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hi again :),

    I'm having a few problems with mapping my VHDL program. It gives me a
    couple of Maplib:661 error. For example:

    LUT4 symbol "TxD_start_mux00031" (output signal=TxD_start)
    has input signal "TxD_start_cmp_lt0000" which will be trimmed. See
    the trim
    report for details about why the input signal will become undriven.

    The mapreport says: The signal "TxD_start_cmp_lt0000" is unused and
    has been removed.

    I mean, what gives??? The mapper removed a signal thinking it's not
    used, and later it gives an error because he needs it but has been
    trimmed?

    The logical solution would be to turn the trimming of unused signals
    off. I did that (unchecked it) but it doesn't make a difference!! Is
    this a bug or some sort?

    I'm using Xilinx 9.1i for the record.

    Thx
    Jonas

    , Oct 11, 2007

  2. wrote:

    > The logical solution would be to turn the trimming of unused signals
    > off. I did that (unchecked it) but it doesn't make a difference!! Is
    > this a bug or some sort?

    Probably not. Maybe that signal does not affect
    any output port. Synthesis is correct to trim
    in that case. I use simulation to verify
    incomplete designs. Good luck.

    -- Mike Treseler

    Mike Treseler, Oct 11, 2007

    On 11 okt, 18:11, Mike Treseler <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > The logical solution would be to turn the trimming of unused signals
    > > off. I did that (unchecked it) but it doesn't make a difference!! Is
    > > this a bug or some sort?

    > Probably not. Maybe that signal does not affect
    > any output port. Synthesis is correct to trim
    > in that case. I use simulation to verify
    > incomplete designs. Good luck.
    >
    > -- Mike Treseler

    hmm,

    fixed it, but i really don't understand why :)

    , Oct 12, 2007