Trolling for New Web Host . . .

Ben Wilson

I've had the same web host (imhosted.com) for the past three years, and
have had decent service. However, I'm also trying to learn Python the
hard way--by doing. So, I figured I'd write a few Python CGIs
(non-Zope). Unfortunately, my web host does not have mod_python. They
only way I can run a python script is by using the .cgi extension. I'm
not sure if I want to stick with my host and just call my apps
index.cgi, or if I should move to a new server. If I were to move to a
new server, which would you recomend, and why?

Regards,
Ben Wilson

Steve Holden

Ben said:
I've had the same web host (imhosted.com) for the past three years, and
have had decent service. However, I'm also trying to learn Python the
hard way--by doing. So, I figured I'd write a few Python CGIs
(non-Zope). Unfortunately, my web host does not have mod_python. They
only way I can run a python script is by using the .cgi extension. I'm
not sure if I want to stick with my host and just call my apps
index.cgi, or if I should move to a new server. If I were to move to a
new server, which would you recomend, and why?
I'd recommend that you don't change anything until you have good reason
- a business relationship that works is to be valued above a notional
speed gain in a currently non-existent web application.

If you're just learning, CGI is fine. Migrate to mod_python when you
start to feel limited by CGI, or when you discover a specific need for
mod_python's neat functionality.

The only other advice I'd give you is to download Python on to your
desktop or laptop machine and do some of your learning locally. It's
quite difficult to debug through a web interface if you don't know what
you're doing (and remember the cgitb module is your friend).

regards
Steve

Ben Wilson

Thanks for your suggestions. I've Python on both my Win32 and Linux
partitions of my laptop. Although, I suppose I should develop my CGI on
the laptop (running Apache) first.

Thanks,
Ben