trouble creating object in win 2000

mcmg

Hi,

I have an asp app that works fine on a windows xp machine but does not work
on a windows 2000 server.

I have the following code in my global.asa:

<OBJECT RUNAT=Server
SCOPE=SESSION
ID=MyID
PROGID="MyAppName.MyID">
</OBJECT>

I get the following error when trying to run my app:

Active Server Pages (0x8002802B)
An error occurred while creating object 'MyID'

Initial searches pointed me towards a permissions error but I still can't
find the problem (everybody has full permission to the app folder).

Once agian it works on windows xp machines running IIS 5.1 but does not
works on win 2000 IIS 5.0. I think I've changed every setting in IIS but
still can't get it to work.

Any suggestions on what might be the problem or how I can troubleshoot this?
I'd be happy to post whatever more info might be helpful. Thanks!

Michael

Jeff Cochran

Hi,

I have an asp app that works fine on a windows xp machine but does not work
on a windows 2000 server.

I have the following code in my global.asa:

<OBJECT RUNAT=Server
SCOPE=SESSION
ID=MyID
PROGID="MyAppName.MyID">
</OBJECT>

I get the following error when trying to run my app:

Active Server Pages (0x8002802B)
An error occurred while creating object 'MyID'

Initial searches pointed me towards a permissions error but I still can't
find the problem (everybody has full permission to the app folder).

"Everybody" as in every user account or "Everybody" as in the group
Everybody, which doesn't inlcude the IUSR anonymous user account?
Once agian it works on windows xp machines running IIS 5.1 but does not
works on win 2000 IIS 5.0. I think I've changed every setting in IIS but
still can't get it to work.

What about NTFS permissions?
Any suggestions on what might be the problem or how I can troubleshoot this?
I'd be happy to post whatever more info might be helpful. Thanks!

Maybe:

http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2323

Jeff

mcmg

Thanks for the reply,

IIS is set to Anonymous Access (IUSR Account), NTFS permissions (full
control) have been given to the group "Everyone" and the IIS accounts IUSR
and IWAM.

my object (a .dll build with powerbuilder9) registers successfully

" If you see an 8002802b error on any other COM object, make sure you are
using set objectName = Server.CreateObject("Valid.ProgID"). If you are using
an <OBJECT Progid=> tag, this error can be more likely to occur."
(http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2323)

As per above, I tried setting my object in script rather than using an
object tag, still no luck.

Searches of error 8002802B have turned up a couple ideas but nothing that
has worked yet. Any other suggestions? Thanks...

Michael

Mark Schupp

to determine if it is a file security problem temporarily set the anonymous
user account to an administrator account (might need to re-start web
services).

If the app works then you will need to identify the files that do not have
the correct permissions for the IUSR account. They will not necessarily be
in the web directory. Most likely there are some dlls in the system
directory that the component relies on.

mcmg

good advice, I tried with an admin account and still no luck so it doesn't
look like a security issue...hmm, maybe it's just a general compatibility
issue my dll is having with win 2k, although it does register and I've made
sure all it's dependencies are present. argg, this is getting frustrating....

Mark Schupp

try calling it from a .vbs file while logged onto the server

Dim obj

Set obj = CreateObject("Valid.ProgID")

set obj = Nothing

mcmg

sorry if I did this wrong, haven't really worked with .vbs files...if I
simply put

Dim obj
Set obj = CreateObject("Valid.ProgID")
set obj = Nothing

and saved it as "testobj.vbs". I ran it I got:

Error: 0xFFFFDF8F
Code: FFFFDF8F

if I comment out my object tag and add in a
<SCRIPT language=VBScript src="testobj.vbs"></SCRIPT>

then ie returns the error:
ActiveX component can't create object: "MyApp.MyProgID"

please correct me if I did this wrong, I'm completely new to server side
apps and fairly new to scripting. Earlier I tried somehing very similar,
commenting out my object tag and adding a Set obj =
Server.CreateObject("Valid.ProgID") into Session_OnStart in my global.asa.
Still no success :-s

Michael
ps ..and yes I am replacing "Valid.ProgID" with a valid ProgID that is in
the registry ;-)

Mark Schupp

In order to run a vbs file it must be called from the scripting environment.
Usually there is a file association already but maybe there isn't on your
system.

With the original vbs code, start a console prompt and try "cscript
testobj.vbs". If that still gives you the "cannot create object" error then
there is probably something wrong with your object or it is missing a
dependant component on the server. You may want to get FileMon
(http://www.sysinternals.com/) and see if file access is failing.

mcmg

YES! Thank for all your help, I think I've got it now after using FileMon.
Here was the problem...

I have my app setup something like this:
<_private>
<path>
global.asa
*.asp
*.css
etc

in the path directory I have my dll plus several powerbuilder
redistributables. It turns out even though I added this directory to the
environmental variable PATH, win2k was unable to locate pbvm90.dll (one of
the powerbuilder redistributables). winxp does not have this problem. I
moved the pb redistributables to the system folder and now it doesn't have a
problem creating the object :-D

FileMon turned out to be just what I needed to see exactly where the problem
was. thx for the help Mark!

Michael