Trouble getting started with the AjaxControlToolkit

Nathan Sokalski

I am trying to start using the AjaxControlToolkit. I followed all the
instructions on the following page:

http://ajax.asp.net/ajaxtoolkit/Walkthrough/Setup.aspx

The only thing I did differently is I did not create my website from the
"ASP.NET AJAX Web Site" template, because my site already exists, and I
don't want to recreate the whole thing. I can see all the "AJAX Extensions"
and "AJAX Control Toolkit" controls listed in Visual Studio .NET 2005's
Toolbox. The specific control that I am working on using right now is the
ConfirmButtonExtender. I can put this control on my page and it does not
complain about it not being available, but when I run the page I recieve a
message saying I must have a ScriptManager. I assumed this meant the one
from the "AJAX Extensions". This is where the problem comes in. When I add a
ScriptManager, I recieve an error saying

Error 27 Type 'System.Web.UI.ScriptManager' is not defined

My code includes the following lines:

<%@ Register Assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" Namespace="System.Web.UI"
TagPrefix="asp" %>
<%@ Register Assembly="AjaxControlToolkit" Namespace="AjaxControlToolkit"
TagPrefix="cc1" %>

<asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1"
runat="server"></asp:ScriptManager>

<cc1:confirmbuttonextender id="ConfirmButtonExtender1" runat="server"
targetcontrolid="btnUnique"></cc1:confirmbuttonextender>

All of these lines were created automatically when I added the controls in
Design View (with the exception of the targetcontrolid="btnUnique"
attribute). The examples that were downloaded with the AJAX Control Toolkit
did not seem to help me much. I use VB.NET and Visual Studio .NET 2005 on
Windows XP Professional SP2 with Internet Explorer 6.0. I would appreciate
any help that anyone can give. Thanks.

Nathan Sokalski

Not to insult your suggestion, but I wanted help fixing the problem I am
having, not help finding another site to download stuff from. As true as it
may be that the most important thing is to find a way to make your site do
what you (or your boss or client or whatever) wants it to, if you always say
"Screw that method, I'll just throw it away and download some other
controls", you'll never really learn how to fix any problems, and will spend
all your time redoing work you've already done. Also, I want to use the AJAX
Control Toolkit from ajax.asp.net because it is the official site for AJAX
on ASP.NET, as well as the most popular.

Thomas Hansen

Not to insult your suggestion, but I wanted help fixing the problem I am
having, not help finding another site to download stuff from. As true as it
may be that the most important thing is to find a way to make your site do
what you (or your boss or client or whatever) wants it to, if you always say
"Screw that method, I'll just throw it away and download some other
controls", you'll never really learn how to fix any problems, and will spend
all your time redoing work you've already done. Also, I want to use the AJAX
Control Toolkit from ajax.asp.net because it is the official site for AJAX
on ASP.NET, as well as the most popular.

Hmm...
Notes taken!

The reason why I said it though was basically because you will
experience alot of trouble with ASP.NET Ajax...
This is especially true now in the beginning...!!
A friend of mine (which is a SEMI-GOD in programming) spent __THREE__
days figuring out how to create his own
extension widget in the toolkit...
And this was a SIMPLE extension widget!
This was a Button Disable Extension widget...
(Which basically just disabled a button according to if another
control (AutoCompleter) had a "valid" selection or not.)

When I looked at it it was a couple of JavaScript files and maybe
roughly 100 lines of C# code.
All that logic could have been wrapped up in __ONE__ line of code in
Gaia Ajax Widgets!
(In fact it IS too at the IGuyFly sample...)

I might be biased, and maybe not even entitled to have an OPINION
since I am one of the original architects behind Gaia Ajax Widgets,
but
I strongly believe it's the best Ajax framework in existance today for
doing Ajax...

"Telling the truth is not something you choose it's something you
cannot not
choose because it enlightens so much when you have seen it that not
sharing
it would be a crime upon humanity!"

Though I guess it's difficult being taken seriously when you're
"selling" the truth and actually making "money" on it...
That doesn't make the truth "smaller" or "less true" though in any
ways...
;)

..t

Mark Rae

Not to insult your suggestion, but I wanted help fixing the problem I am
having, not help finding another site to download stuff from.

That's pretty much Thomas' reponse to pretty much everything i.e. to
advertise his own product... just have a scan through the newsgroup...

Guest

Nathan,
I don't have any issue with people wanting to promote their product
(preferably in their signature line) as long as they answer the question!

When you create an AJAX project, there are certain script definitions wired
up for you. In order to port your existing app "forward" to ASP.NET AJAX,
you'll need to make sure that all these declarations, references, and stuff
in the web.config are transferred to your project.
Peter

Nathan Sokalski

I pretty much assumed that there were declarations, references, etc. that I
would need to add or modify, but I need some way to find out exactly what
they all are. Comparing my existing Project to the one created by Web.config
is almost pointless, because that would not be much different than copying
everything, and if I were to do that I may as well just recreate my site
using the Ajax Control Toolkit template.