Trouble getting started with the AjaxControlToolkit

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Nathan Sokalski, Feb 11, 2007.

  1. I am trying to start using the AjaxControlToolkit. I followed all the
    instructions on the following page:

    http://ajax.asp.net/ajaxtoolkit/Walkthrough/Setup.aspx

    The only thing I did differently is I did not create my website from the
    "ASP.NET AJAX Web Site" template, because my site already exists, and I
    don't want to recreate the whole thing. I can see all the "AJAX Extensions"
    and "AJAX Control Toolkit" controls listed in Visual Studio .NET 2005's
    Toolbox. The specific control that I am working on using right now is the
    ConfirmButtonExtender. I can put this control on my page and it does not
    complain about it not being available, but when I run the page I recieve a
    message saying I must have a ScriptManager. I assumed this meant the one
    from the "AJAX Extensions". This is where the problem comes in. When I add a
    ScriptManager, I recieve an error saying

    Error 27 Type 'System.Web.UI.ScriptManager' is not defined

    My code includes the following lines:

    <%@ Register Assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0,
    Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" Namespace="System.Web.UI"
    TagPrefix="asp" %>
    <%@ Register Assembly="AjaxControlToolkit" Namespace="AjaxControlToolkit"
    TagPrefix="cc1" %>

    <asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1"
    runat="server"></asp:ScriptManager>

    <cc1:confirmbuttonextender id="ConfirmButtonExtender1" runat="server"
    targetcontrolid="btnUnique"></cc1:confirmbuttonextender>

    All of these lines were created automatically when I added the controls in
    Design View (with the exception of the targetcontrolid="btnUnique"
    attribute). The examples that were downloaded with the AJAX Control Toolkit
    did not seem to help me much. I use VB.NET and Visual Studio .NET 2005 on
    Windows XP Professional SP2 with Internet Explorer 6.0. I would appreciate
    any help that anyone can give. Thanks.
    --
    Nathan Sokalski

    http://www.nathansokalski.com/

    Nathan Sokalski, Feb 11, 2007

  2. Thomas Hansen, Feb 11, 2007

  3. Not to insult your suggestion, but I wanted help fixing the problem I am
    having, not help finding another site to download stuff from. As true as it
    may be that the most important thing is to find a way to make your site do
    what you (or your boss or client or whatever) wants it to, if you always say
    "Screw that method, I'll just throw it away and download some other
    controls", you'll never really learn how to fix any problems, and will spend
    all your time redoing work you've already done. Also, I want to use the AJAX
    Control Toolkit from ajax.asp.net because it is the official site for AJAX
    on ASP.NET, as well as the most popular.

    Nathan Sokalski, Feb 11, 2007
  4. On Feb 11, 4:30 am, "Nathan Sokalski" <> wrote:
    > Not to insult your suggestion, but I wanted help fixing the problem I am
    > having, not help finding another site to download stuff from. As true as it
    > may be that the most important thing is to find a way to make your site do
    > what you (or your boss or client or whatever) wants it to, if you always say
    > "Screw that method, I'll just throw it away and download some other
    > controls", you'll never really learn how to fix any problems, and will spend
    > all your time redoing work you've already done. Also, I want to use the AJAX
    > Control Toolkit from ajax.asp.net because it is the official site for AJAX
    > on ASP.NET, as well as the most popular.

    Hmm...
    Notes taken!

    The reason why I said it though was basically because you will
    experience alot of trouble with ASP.NET Ajax...
    This is especially true now in the beginning...!!
    A friend of mine (which is a SEMI-GOD in programming) spent __THREE__
    days figuring out how to create his own
    extension widget in the toolkit...
    And this was a SIMPLE extension widget!
    This was a Button Disable Extension widget...
    (Which basically just disabled a button according to if another
    control (AutoCompleter) had a "valid" selection or not.)

    When I looked at it it was a couple of JavaScript files and maybe
    roughly 100 lines of C# code.
    All that logic could have been wrapped up in __ONE__ line of code in
    Gaia Ajax Widgets!
    (In fact it IS too at the IGuyFly sample...)

    I might be biased, and maybe not even entitled to have an OPINION
    since I am one of the original architects behind Gaia Ajax Widgets,
    but
    I strongly believe it's the best Ajax framework in existance today for
    doing Ajax...

    "Telling the truth is not something you choose it's something you
    cannot not
    choose because it enlightens so much when you have seen it that not
    sharing
    it would be a crime upon humanity!"

    Though I guess it's difficult being taken seriously when you're
    "selling" the truth and actually making "money" on it...
    That doesn't make the truth "smaller" or "less true" though in any
    ways...
    ;)

    ..t

    Thomas Hansen, Feb 11, 2007
  5. Nathan Sokalski

    Mark Rae Guest

    "Nathan Sokalski" <> wrote in message

    > Not to insult your suggestion, but I wanted help fixing the problem I am
    > having, not help finding another site to download stuff from.

    That's pretty much Thomas' reponse to pretty much everything i.e. to
    advertise his own product... just have a scan through the newsgroup...

    Mark Rae, Feb 11, 2007
  6. Nathan,
    I don't have any issue with people wanting to promote their product
    (preferably in their signature line) as long as they answer the question!

    When you create an AJAX project, there are certain script definitions wired
    up for you. In order to port your existing app "forward" to ASP.NET AJAX,
    you'll need to make sure that all these declarations, references, and stuff
    in the web.config are transferred to your project.
    Peter

    --
    Site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com
    Short urls & more: http://ittyurl.net

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgQnJvbWJlcmcgW0MjIE1WUF0=?=, Feb 11, 2007
  7. I pretty much assumed that there were declarations, references, etc. that I
    would need to add or modify, but I need some way to find out exactly what
    they all are. Comparing my existing Project to the one created by Web.config
    is almost pointless, because that would not be much different than copying
    everything, and if I were to do that I may as well just recreate my site
    using the Ajax Control Toolkit template.
    --
    Nathan Sokalski

    http://www.nathansokalski.com/

    "Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]" <> wrote in