Trouble installing Apache Axis 1_2RC2 in Tomcat 5.5.4

Discussion in 'Java' started by rhimbo, Jan 21, 2005.

  1. rhimbo

    rhimbo Guest

    Hi folks,

    I have Jakarta Tomcat 5.5.4 and Axis 1_2RC2, running on RedHat Fedora
    Core 3.

    I'm carefully reading the doc
    http://ws.apache.org/axis/java/install.html, specifically the section
    "Setting up the libraries". I've copied the webapps/axis directory
    from my Axis installation to the webapps directory of my Tomcat
    installation.

    I can bring up Tomcat, and go to http://localhost:8080/axis/. I click
    the "Validate" link and get one core axis library error:

    Warning: could not find class org.apache.xml.security.Init from
    file
    xmlsec.jar XML Security is not supported

    See http://xml.apache.org/security/
    The root cause was: org/apache/xpath/Expression
    This can happen e.g. if org.apache.xml.security.Init is in the
    'common'
    classpath, but a dependency like activation.jar is only in the webapp
    classpath.

    My environment contains the following definitions:

    JAVA_HOME=/usr/share/java
    export JAVA_HOME

    CATALINA_HOME=/opt/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.4/
    export CATALINA_HOME

    CLASSPATH=
    CLASSPATH="$CLASSPATH:/opt/jaf-1.0.2/activation.jar"
    CLASSPATH="$CLASSPATH:/opt/javamail-1.3.2/lib/imap.jar"
    CLASSPATH="$CLASSPATH:/opt/javamail-1.3.2/lib/mailapi.jar"
    CLASSPATH="$CLASSPATH:/opt/javamail-1.3.2/lib/pop3.jar"
    CLASSPATH="$CLASSPATH:/opt/javamail-1.3.2/lib/smtp.jar"
    CLASSPATH="$CLASSPATH:/opt/xml-security-bin-1_2_0/libs/xmlsec.jar"
    export CLASSPATH

    Per the "instructions" returned on the
    http://localhost:8080/axis/happyaxis.jsp page, I copied some .jar files
    from my Axis installation's webapps/axis directory to the
    opt/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.4/common/lib directory. This solved the problem
    for the Java Activation Framework and JavaMail .jar files.

    I don't know why it doesn't fix the problem for the XML security.
    Help. I'm lost.

    Many thanks.

    Vartan

    rhimbo, Jan 21, 2005

  2. rhimbo

    rhimbo Guest

    Hi again everyone,

    Just to clarify the original question in my post....

    I don't undestand the roles of the webapps/axis/WEB-INF/lib directory
    versus the jakarta-tomcat common/lib directory. For me, they're
    located at:

    /opt/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.4/webapps/axis/WEB-INF/lib
    /opt/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.4/common/lib

    To solve the above problem with xmlsec.jar not being found, I tried
    copying it to both of the above two directories. I restarted tomcat,
    and hit the
    http://localhost:8080/axis/happyaxis.jsp
    page again. No difference. I'm flummoxed. Any help or direction is
    appreciated.

    Vartan

    rhimbo, Jan 21, 2005