    "You should download J2SDK from the Sun Microsystems Java website and
    install it. You can get it here: java.sun.com/j2se"

    Should I download 5.0 (Core) or 1.4.2 (Desktop)?

    Tim923, Feb 1, 2005

  2. Tim923

    Tim923 Guest

    >Should I download 5.0 (Core) or 1.4.2 (Desktop)?

    We will be writing small programs for a low level Java course in
    Windows (not Unix).

    Tim923, Feb 1, 2005

  3. Tim923

    Guest

    Unless you have a need for the new capabilities in 5.0, I would
    recommend 1.4.2

    , Feb 1, 2005
  4. Tim923 wrote:
    > Visiting the webpage, it said:
    > "You should download J2SDK from the Sun Microsystems Java website and
    > install it. You can get it here: java.sun.com/j2se"
    >
    > Should I download 5.0 (Core) or 1.4.2 (Desktop)?

    I would suggest that you use SDK version 1.5. I really cannot find it on
    the web site now, but I know that bluej version 2.0 added support for
    java 1.5. If ypu are running a java course, you will want to be able to
    teach the latest syntax - generics and the like that java 1.5 introduced.

    Anyway - 1.5 looks prettier.

    Steve

    Steve Horsley, Feb 1, 2005
  5. Steve Horsley wrote:

    > I would suggest that you use SDK version 1.5. I really cannot find it on
    > the web site now, but I know that bluej version 2.0 added support for
    > java 1.5. If ypu are running a java course, you will want to be able to
    > teach the latest syntax - generics and the like that java 1.5 introduced.
    >
    > Anyway - 1.5 looks prettier.

    P.S.
    The Sun web site seems completely useles at the moment. I guess it's being
    swamped with downloads of solaris 10.

    Steve

    Steve Horsley, Feb 1, 2005
  6. Tim923

    Tim923 Guest

    >Anyway - 1.5 looks prettier.
    >
    >Steve

    Is 5.0 the new number for 1.5? I think I read that.
    I'm taking the course (not the professor). Maybe I'll ask him.

    Tim923, Feb 1, 2005
  7. Tim923

    Chris Uppal Guest

    Steve Horsley wrote:

    > > Should I download 5.0 (Core) or 1.4.2 (Desktop)?

    > I would suggest that you use SDK version 1.5. I really cannot find it on
    > the web site now, but I know that bluej version 2.0 added support for
    > java 1.5. If ypu are running a java course, you will want to be able to
    > teach the latest syntax - generics and the like that java 1.5 introduced.

    In all probability using the 1.5 version won't cause any problems.

    BUT !

    The "latest" stuff in Java 1.5 (or Java 5, if you prefer) will be of less than
    zero value to new programmers.

    Especially, it will have negative value to anyone using BlueJ, since their
    teacher (apparently) has the sense to realise that OO is the important
    concept-set to focus on.

    Generics do /not/ belong in a beginners class.

    ('I'm tempted to go father than that, but this is not the occasion...;-)

    -- chris

    Chris Uppal, Feb 1, 2005
  8. Tim923

    Tim923 Guest

    >In all probability using the 1.5 version won't cause any problems.

    Need I download the package that comes with Netbeans? Is there a
    faster website to download Java 5. Sun's is like 2KB per second.

    Tim923, Feb 1, 2005
  9. Tim923 wrote:
    > Visiting the webpage, it said:
    > "You should download J2SDK from the Sun Microsystems Java website and
    > install it. You can get it here: java.sun.com/j2se"
    >
    > Should I download 5.0 (Core) or 1.4.2 (Desktop)?

    Does the BlueJ web site say BlueJ runs with 5.0 (which is equal to 1.5,
    don't ask ...), or 1.4.something. Depending on what BlueJ wants,
    download 5.0 (1.5) or 1.4.something.

    /Thomas

    --
    The comp.lang.java.gui FAQ:

    Thomas Weidenfeller, Feb 2, 2005
  10. Tim923 wrote:
    > Is 5.0 the new number for 1.5? I think I read that.

    Yes 5.0 is Sun's marketing stunt for renaming 1.5.

    > I'm taking the course (not the professor). Maybe I'll ask him.

    Sounds like a good plan.

    /Thomas

    --
    The comp.lang.java.gui FAQ:

    Thomas Weidenfeller, Feb 2, 2005
  11. Tim923 wrote:
    > Need I download the package that comes with Netbeans?

    No, netbeans is BlueJ for adults :). If you want to use BlueJ you don't
    need netbeans. All you need is a JDK, also called Java 2 SDK, or J2SDK
    for BlueJ to run.

    BTW: Please consider posting beginners questions to comp.lang.java.help.

    > Is there a
    > faster website to download Java 5. Sun's is like 2KB per second.

    No, Sun does not allow the redistribution of the JDK.

    /Thomas

    --
    The comp.lang.java.gui FAQ:

    Thomas Weidenfeller, Feb 2, 2005
  12. Thomas Weidenfeller wrote:
    > Tim923 wrote:
    >
    >> Visiting the webpage, it said:
    >> "You should download J2SDK from the Sun Microsystems Java website and
    >> install it. You can get it here: java.sun.com/j2se"
    >>
    >> Should I download 5.0 (Core) or 1.4.2 (Desktop)?

    > Does the BlueJ web site say BlueJ runs with 5.0 (which is equal to 1.5,
    > don't ask ...), or 1.4.something. Depending on what BlueJ wants,
    > download 5.0 (1.5) or 1.4.something.
    >
    > /Thomas

    I looked, and couldn't find any mention of version 1.5 on the BlueJ
    web site, which is very odd. But the Help->Check Version menu from my
    current BlueJ install says the following...

    Your current BlueJ version is 2.0
    The most recent BlueJ version is 2.0.4

    New in version 2.0.4
    --------------------
    BlueJ 2.0.4 is a bug fix release. It fixes a bug from version 2.0.3
    that caused problems with installations in paths containing spaces.

    New in version 2.0 (among other things):
    - support for J2SE 5.0
    - support for generic classes in interface
    - specific enum support
    - interface improvements
    - key navigation of class diagram and object bench
    - editor improvements
    - improved extension API
    - addition of Code Pad for Java text evaluation
    - bug fixes

    Steve

    Steve Horsley, Feb 2, 2005
  13. Thomas Weidenfeller, Feb 3, 2005
  14. Thomas Weidenfeller wrote:
    > Steve Horsley wrote:
    >
    >> I looked, and couldn't find any mention of version 1.5 on the BlueJ
    >> web site, which is very odd.

    > See the right side of
    >
    > http://www.bluej.org/download/download.html
    >
    > The box which is labeled "System Requirements" :) So 1.5 (aka 5.0)
    > should indeed work.
    >
    > /Thomas

    LOL! I found it when I went to collect the update, thanks. But I looked
    all over BEFORE going to the download page, as one might if they were
    wondering whether it was something they even wanted to download.

    I confirm that it DOES work with 1.5.

    Steve

    Steve Horsley, Feb 3, 2005