Trouble removing cookies

Nathan Sokalski

I am having trouble removing cookies that I created with my site. Here is
the code I am using to try and remove them:

If Not Request.Cookies("username") Is Nothing Then
Response.Cookies.Remove("username")
If Not Request.Cookies("password") Is Nothing Then
Response.Cookies.Remove("password")

Is there something I am missing here? Even after I do a Session.Abandon()
the cookies still seem to be there. Is there another step that is necessary?
Thanks.

S. Justin Gengo [MCP]

Nathan,

Instead of removing the cookies (I believe that just removes them from the
server memory and not the client) you should overwrite them on the client.

If Not Request.Cookies("username") Is Nothing Then
Response.Cookies("username") = ""
End If

Oh, and even an empty cookie may not be equal to "Nothing" because it is a
string you may need to test for "" instead.

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer

www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzsche

Nathan Sokalski

I figured out how to remove them, which is to set the Expires property to
somewhere in the past and the use the Response.Cookies.Add() method.
However, what is the point in removing the cookies from the server memory if
they get resent with every Request anyway?

S. Justin Gengo [MCP]

Nathan,

I'm not certain about that myself... It really may just be the object they
chose to hook up cookies with. It looks like the object is ultimately
inheriting from something similar to arraylist (if it isn't arraylist itself
I didn't bother to check). It may not be that they intended Remove to even
be used. It may just have come along for the ride via inheritance.

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer