Trouble retrieving value with request.form

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Chris Shipley, Jan 12, 2004.

  1. I am trying to present a list of links on a page (Form) where each link
    opens a different picture gallery. I have the Form page which contains the
    links, a Gallery page, and several include files. Each include file displays
    a different gallery.
    Clicking on a link submits a value identifying the chosen gallery to the
    Gallery page. The Gallery page accepts the value from the Form page and uses
    it to call the appropriate include file.
    The Post seems to have worked, the problem seems to be in retrieving the
    value. The provided code for "gallery.asp" fails to execute properly- even
    the line that displays "Test". I just can't seem to spot the error. Any
    ideas?
    TIA
    Chris

    FormPage:
    <script language=javascript>
    document.write('<form name="frmGallery" method="post"
    action="gallery.asp">');
    document.write('<input type="hidden" name="GalName">');
    tGall('Garden City', '2003REG-GrdnCity.inc');
    tGall('River Hts', '2003REG-RvrHts.inc');
    document.write('</form>');
    </script>

    function tGall(sGalName,sGalFile) {
    var sJava = 'javascript:getGallery("' + sGalFile + '")';
    }

    function getGallery ( SelectedGal ) {
    document.frmGallery.GalName.value = SelectedGal ;
    document.frmGallery.submit() ;
    }

    gallery.asp:
    <script language=javascript>
    document.write('Test');
    var sName = request.form("GalName");
    document.write(sName);
    </script>

    --
    - -
    Chris Shipley

    Chris Shipley, Jan 12, 2004

  2. > document.write('<input type="hidden" name="GalName">');

    You realize this doesn't have a value, right?

    > gallery.asp:
    > <script language=javascript>
    > document.write('Test');
    > var sName = request.form("GalName");
    > document.write(sName);
    > </script>

    Client-side code doesn't know what Request.Form is. Aren't you getting an
    error on this (object required or object expected)? Maybe you meant:

    <script>
    document.write('<%=Request.Form("GalName")%>');
    </script>

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP