    Can anyone help with this?
    Thanks
    David

    daforga, Nov 10, 2008

  2. re:
    !> I am trying to build a simple web site using VS 2008

    Are you using file system or HTTP ?

    re:
    !> All information points to my running aspnet_regiis -ga David (my user name is David )
    !> This does not work

    It won't unless you use :

    aspnet_regiis -ga YourMachineName\David

    What happens if you try to create a web project (File, New Project), instead of a new website ?
    Can you try that...and post back what happens ?

    re:
    !> The web server is not configured correctly

    Which operating system are you using ?

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ======================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Nov 10, 2008

  3. daforga

    daforga Guest

    Thanks Juan.
    I am going through a book and the example uses HTTP
    I retried the aspnet_regiis with the leading Machine Name\David -- to no
    avail.
    Creating a web application works. But the site does not show up in IIS,
    naturally.
    I am using XP Professional 5.1.2600

    Again, thanks

    daforga, Nov 10, 2008
  4. re:
    !> Thanks Juan.

    You're quite welcome, daforga.

    re:
    !> I retried the aspnet_regiis with the leading Machine Name\David -- to no avail.

    It doesn't look like permissions was the problem.

    re:
    !> Creating a web application works. But the site does not show up in IIS

    Here's what you can do :

    In the VS 2008 IDE, in the solution explorer,
    right click the web application's name and select "properties" from the context menu.

    Then, click "Web" in the leftmost menu and click "Use IIS Web Server".
    Make sure you click the "Create Virtual Directory" button.

    Close that dialog, right-click "default.aspx" in the solution explorer
    and cjhoose "View in Browser" from the context menu.

    Your web application should start...using IIS, and should be configurable in the IIS Manager.

    re:
    !> I am using XP Professional 5.1.2600

    These instructions should work fine with IIS 5.1.

    Juan T. Llibre, Nov 10, 2008