Trouble starting web site

daforga

Hello,
I am trying to build a simple web site using VS 2008. I do the following:
1. Files New Website, Name the site
2. Put any text within the div tag
3. Run
I get the error:
Unable to start debugging on the web server. The web server is not
configured correctly. See Help for Common Configuration Errors. Running the
web page outside the debugger may provide further information.

All information points to my running aspnet_regiis -ga David (my user name
is David )
This does not work
Can anyone help with this?
Thanks
David

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> I am trying to build a simple web site using VS 2008

Are you using file system or HTTP ?

re:
!> All information points to my running aspnet_regiis -ga David (my user name is David )
!> This does not work

It won't unless you use :

aspnet_regiis -ga YourMachineName\David

What happens if you try to create a web project (File, New Project), instead of a new website ?
Can you try that...and post back what happens ?

re:
!> The web server is not configured correctly

Which operating system are you using ?

daforga

Thanks Juan.
I am going through a book and the example uses HTTP
I retried the aspnet_regiis with the leading Machine Name\David -- to no
avail.
Creating a web application works. But the site does not show up in IIS,
naturally.
I am using XP Professional 5.1.2600

Again, thanks

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> Thanks Juan.

You're quite welcome, daforga.

re:
!> I retried the aspnet_regiis with the leading Machine Name\David -- to no avail.

It doesn't look like permissions was the problem.

re:
!> Creating a web application works. But the site does not show up in IIS

Here's what you can do :

In the VS 2008 IDE, in the solution explorer,
right click the web application's name and select "properties" from the context menu.

Then, click "Web" in the leftmost menu and click "Use IIS Web Server".
Make sure you click the "Create Virtual Directory" button.

Close that dialog, right-click "default.aspx" in the solution explorer
and cjhoose "View in Browser" from the context menu.

Your web application should start...using IIS, and should be configurable in the IIS Manager.

re:
!> I am using XP Professional 5.1.2600

These instructions should work fine with IIS 5.1.