trouble with el-ignored jsp setting in web.xml

Cid

I'm not getting the expected behavior (as I understand it) from my
web.xml file. I'm using tomcat5 with the default jsp & servlet libs it
comes with (2.0 & 2.4 respectively). My web.xml file is of 2.3 format
(just cause that was the sample on which I based it).

So I expect (per the JSP spec) that EL is NOT evaluated by default
because of the 2.3 web.xml. This is true.

If I use the page directive, <%@ page isELIgnored='false'%>, then EL
is evaluated as expected.

So here's the kicker: I want to try turning EL on by default for jsp
pages in my web app so I add the appropriate jsp-config block to my
web.xml:

<jsp-config>
<jsp-property-group>
<url-pattern>*.jsp</url-pattern>
<el-ignored>false</el-ignored>
</jsp-property-group>
</jsp-config>

With the page directive removed, I expect (per the spec) that EL will
now be evaluated by default. Not so, still behaves as if it's off.

There are no other groups or mappings in the web.xml that could
override the .jsp mapping. I also tried setting the pattern explicitly
to my test page (/index.jsp) to no avail. Also tried /*.jsp but that
causes an error while trying to load the context.

Nothing abnormal looking in the logs. Any suggestions?

Joined
Oct 18, 2006
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi Cid,

I was facing the same problem. I looked at various jsp configurations in 2.4 web.xml. The EL was not getting recognised if the
<%@ page isELIgnored='false'%> header was not specified in the JSP file. Then I added this in web.xml

<jsp-config>
<jsp-property-group>
<display-name>WebLogicServer 9.0 JSP 2.0 setting</display-name>
<url-pattern>*.jsp</url-pattern>
<el-ignored>false</el-ignored>
<scripting-invalid>false</scripting-invalid>
<is-xml>false</is-xml>
</jsp-property-group>

and still kept the header. I kept getting validation errors in we.xml. But after a long struggle it fixed itself. Then i took out the header from JSP page and also removed the prelude and coda tags, but the output was still working. Then i made <el-ignored>true</el-ignored>, it still was interpreting JSP EL in the JSP. Well, I am using Eclipse 3.2, BEA Weblogic 9.0 and they both support JSP 2.0 and Servlet 2.4 specs. At this stage i still dont know the problem. But it seems to be working fine. Cache related problems i think !! Anyway gud luck in your trials!