Trouble with ftplib uploading to an FTP server

Sky Larking

This bit of code is designed to get the external IP address and
hostname of a client , write it locally to a file, then upload to an
FTP server. It works locally( one can see the IP number and hostname
with a time stamp in /Users/admin/Documents) , but when the file is
opened on the server after it's FTP'ed , it's blank....I think my
issue is something with the way I am utilizing the ftplib commands...
I am pretty sure instead of FTPing the file, it's just creating a new
one with the same name and uploading that?

This script is running on some OS X 10.5 clients and reporting back to
an Ubuntu 8.04 server...I am using the version of python bundled with
10.5.x ( 2.5.1 )

import os
import datetime
import ftplib
import urllib2

currdate = datetime.datetime.now()
formatdate = currdate.strftime("%m-%d-%Y %H%M")

def log():

fqn = os.uname()[1]
ext_ip = urllib2.urlopen('http://whatismyip.org').read()
log = open ('/Users/admin/Documents/locatelog.txt','w')
log.write(str("Asset: %s " % fqn))
log.write(str("Checking in from IP#: %s" % ext_ip))
smush = str(fqn +' @ ' + formatdate)
os.rename('/Users/admin/Documents/locatelog.txt','/Users/admin/
Documents/%s.txt' % smush )
s = ftplib.FTP('10.7.1.71','username','password')
fd = open('/Users/admin/Documents/%s.txt' % smush,'rb')
s.storbinary("STOR %s.txt" % smush , fd)

MRAB

Sky said:
[...]

You're renaming the file while it's still open. What you've written is
still in the buffer, not on disk.

Sky Larking

Sky said:
[...]

@ MRAB Thanks ...

I can see the file in /Users/admin/Documents after the following line
runs though?

os.rename('/Users/admin/Documents/locatelog.txt','/Users/admin/
Documents/%s.txt' % smush )

For instance I just ran the script and os.rename() renamed it to:

TestMachine.local @ 02-24-2010 2020.txt

in that .txt file it reads:

Asset: TestMachine.local Checking in from IP#: xx.xxx.xx.xxx

This is what I want, but the FTP piece doesn't seem to work...

Dennis Lee Bieber

For instance I just ran the script and os.rename() renamed it to:

TestMachine.local @ 02-24-2010 2020.txt

in that .txt file it reads:

Asset: TestMachine.local Checking in from IP#: xx.xxx.xx.xxx

This is what I want, but the FTP piece doesn't seem to work...

But since you haven't CLOSED the file before invoking the FTP
operation, the contents are probably in a write buffer that hasn't been
flushed. Renaming a file only changes the directory entry -- doesn't do
anything for what may or may not be in the file.

After the program exits, the file get closed, which means the
buffers are flushed.

Sky Larking

        But since you haven't CLOSED the file before invoking the FTP
operation, the contents are probably in a write buffer that hasn't been
flushed. Renaming a file only changes the directory entry -- doesn't do
anything for what may or may not be in the file.

        After the program exits, the file get closed, which means the
buffers are flushed.

I see my mistake now, I closed the file ...then did the upload ... and
the data was there --
thanks for the help