Trouble with validator control ? Script not found

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Infante - GIGA, Mar 24, 2006.

  1. Hi,
    I have this problem: if I use the application (web application with html
    forms) on the
    development machine or locally on the production server everything works
    fine
    If I call the pages from a browser (e.g. IE6) from another pc, internal on
    the
    network or external from internet, I get the message:
    "Unable to find script library
    '/aspnet_client/system_web/1_1_4322/WebUIValidation.js.'
    Try placing the file manually, or reinstall by running aspnet_regiis -c"
    The site is hosted on a Win 2003 SBS Server
    I tried to execute aspnet_regiis both with -c parameter and also with
    -i and -r -enable.
    This happens only on the pages that uses a field validator.
    I have also verified that the file (or better the directories) of apsnet
    are already there and enabled both in application directory and in
    the root directory of the IIS site.
    The permissions of the file system seem correct
    What can i look for ?

    Thank in advance

    Mario

    Infante - GIGA, Mar 24, 2006

  2. Infante - GIGA

    Guest

    Is the version of aspnet_regiis that you're running the correct
    version?
    Find out by executing "aspnet_regiis /?" on the command line.
    You might multiple versions of the .NET framework installed on your
    machine. Version 1.1.4322.0 should be appropriate for you.

    Also, check whether you can access the
    aspnet_client/system_web/1_1_4322/WebUIValidation.js file on the remote
    machine's browser by typing in the url to that file. If you're using
    firefox, you should see the contents of a javascript file displayed.

    , Mar 24, 2006

  3. Infante - GIGA

    Guest

    , Mar 25, 2006
  4. Hi Infante,

    welcome to the ASPNET newsgroup.

    From your description, you're developing an ASP.NET web application(through
    asp.net 1.x), there has some page use validation controls. You found the
    pages work correctly when being accessed locally, but report some error on
    the validaiton script file when being accessed remotely ,correct?

    Based om my experience, there is still likely some problem on the script
    file's accessing(download from server to client). I think we can check teh
    following things first:

    1. Try directly accessing the script file by type the script file's url in
    the client browser(remote client) to see whether we can visit the file.

    2. On the server machine, check the script files'
    directory(/aspnet_client/system_web/1_1_4322/) in IIS manager to see
    whether it has been granted read access.

    3. The IIS log is also one useful resource we can use to detect any request
    failure on the script files.

    Please let me know if there is anything I missed or anything else we can
    help.

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Community Support

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Mar 27, 2006
  5. Solved:
    I have added the line
    <script language="javascript" type="text/javascript"
    src="http://www.mysite.comn/wde/aspnet_client/system_web/1_1_4322/WebUIValidation.js"></script>

    inside my file and everything work fine...
    don't know why it couldn't find the script with relative path

    Infante - GIGA, Mar 27, 2006
  6. Thanks for your quick response Infante.

    Glad that you have made it working though I also feel a bit strange that we
    do not have to use full url path generally. What's the originally generated
    path in your page which cause the error? Is it start from the IIS site root
    like

    "/aspnet_client/xxxxxx...." ?

    Anyway, if you still find any problem or anything else we can help, please
    feel free to post here.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Mar 27, 2006
  7. Infante - GIGA

    Guest

    Um, ASP.NET validation controls generates the following path to the
    javascript validation functions.
    <script language="javascript"
    src="/aspnet_client/system_web/1_1_4322/WebUIValidation.js"></script>

    But you've installed yours at
    <script language="javascript"
    src="/wde/aspnet_client/system_web/1_1_4322/WebUIValidation.js"></script>
    Note: the /wde before the aspnet_client folder.

    I wonder if you have turned on iis url redirection.

    , Mar 27, 2006