    Thanks
    Brad
    , Apr 3, 2007

  2. Re: troubles building python 2.5 on Windows XP x64 Windows Server2003 sp1 Platform SDK

    wrote:
    > I am needing to build python 2.5 on Windows XP x64 Windows Server 2003
    > sp1 Platform SDK and am not finding anything documented on the process
    > to use. Has anyone had any success with this? If so has anyone
    > documented it? The documentation that resides in pcbuild/readme.txt is
    > not helpful at all.

    What have you tried already? From the readme:

    All you need to do is open the workspace "pcbuild.sln" in MSVC++,
    select the Debug or Release setting (using "Solution Configuration"
    from the "Standard" toolbar"), and build the projects.

    Did that not work for you? If not, how did it fail?

    STeVe
    Steven Bethard, Apr 3, 2007

    On Apr 3, 2:04 pm, Steven Bethard <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > I am needing to build python 2.5 on Windows XP x64 Windows Server 2003
    > > sp1 Platform SDK and am not finding anything documented on the process
    > > to use. Has anyone had any success with this? If so has anyone
    > > documented it? The documentation that resides in pcbuild/readme.txt is
    > > not helpful at all.

    > What have you tried already? From the readme:
    >
    > All you need to do is open the workspace "pcbuild.sln" in MSVC++,
    > select the Debug or Release setting (using "Solution Configuration"
    > from the "Standard" toolbar"), and build the projects.
    >
    > Did that not work for you? If not, how did it fail?
    >
    > STeVe

    There is no IDE available with the 64 bit compiler on Windows Server
    2003 Platform SDK, so that is not an option.
    , Apr 3, 2007
  4. Re: troubles building python 2.5 on Windows XP x64 Windows Server2003 sp1 Platform SDK

    wrote:
    > On Apr 3, 2:04 pm, Steven Bethard <> wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> I am needing to build python 2.5 on Windows XP x64 Windows Server 2003
    >>> sp1 Platform SDK and am not finding anything documented on the process
    >>> to use. Has anyone had any success with this? If so has anyone
    >>> documented it? The documentation that resides in pcbuild/readme.txt is
    >>> not helpful at all.
    >>>

    >> What have you tried already? From the readme:
    >>
    >> All you need to do is open the workspace "pcbuild.sln" in MSVC++,
    >> select the Debug or Release setting (using "Solution Configuration"
    >> from the "Standard" toolbar"), and build the projects.

    > There is no IDE available with the 64 bit compiler on Windows Server
    > 2003 Platform SDK, so that is not an option.

    Ahh, I see. Did you try this::

    Building for Itanium
    --------------------

    The project files support a ReleaseItanium configuration which
    creates Win64/Itanium binaries. For this to work, you need to
    install the Platform SDK, in particular the 64-bit support. This
    includes an Itanium compiler (future releases of the SDK likely
    include an AMD64 compiler as well).
    In addition, you need the Visual Studio plugin for external C
    compilers, from http://sf.net/projects/vsextcomp. The plugin will
    wrap cl.exe, to locate the proper target compiler, and convert
    compiler options accordingly. The project files require atleast
    version 0.9.

    I can't tell whether vsextcomp handles your compiler or not though...

    STeVe
    Steven Bethard, Apr 3, 2007

    On Apr 3, 4:16 pm, Steven Bethard <> wrote:
    > wrote:

    > >> What have you tried already? From the readme:

    > >> All you need to do is open the workspace "pcbuild.sln" in MSVC++,
    > >> select the Debug or Release setting (using "Solution Configuration"
    > >> from the "Standard" toolbar"), and build the projects.

    > > There is no IDE available with the 64 bit compiler on Windows Server
    > > 2003 Platform SDK, so that is not an option.

    > Ahh, I see. Did you try this::
    >
    > Building for Itanium
    > --------------------
    >
    > The project files support a ReleaseItanium configuration which
    > creates Win64/Itanium binaries. For this to work, you need to
    > install the Platform SDK, in particular the 64-bit support. This
    > includes an Itanium compiler (future releases of the SDK likely
    > include an AMD64 compiler as well).
    > In addition, you need the Visual Studio plugin for external C
    > compilers, fromhttp://sf.net/projects/vsextcomp. The plugin will
    > wrap cl.exe, to locate the proper target compiler, and convert
    > compiler options accordingly. The project files require atleast
    > version 0.9.
    >
    > I can't tell whether vsextcomp handles your compiler or not though...
    >
    > STeVe

    This doc has not been updated since the 64 bit compilers came out
    officially. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense of what steps you
    should follow to build python. I saw a link on the comp.lang.python
    that had the steps, but that link doesn't go anywhere now. I had to
    jump through some hoops to get it to build on VC 2005 64 bit, but that
    at least had an IDE to use.
    , Apr 3, 2007
  6. Re: troubles building python 2.5 on Windows XP x64 Windows Server2003 sp1 Platform SDK

    wrote:
    > This doc has not been updated since the 64 bit compilers came out
    > officially. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense of what steps you
    > should follow to build python. I saw a link on the comp.lang.python
    > that had the steps, but that link doesn't go anywhere now. I had to
    > jump through some hoops to get it to build on VC 2005 64 bit, but that
    > at least had an IDE to use.

    Well, if you figure it out, and you'd like to let others know, please
    post a documentation bug report:

    Sorry I wasn't more help.

    STeVe
    Steven Bethard, Apr 3, 2007
  7. Re: troubles building python 2.5 on Windows XP x64 Windows Server2003 sp1 Platform SDK

    schrieb:
    > I am needing to build python 2.5 on Windows XP x64 Windows Server 2003
    > sp1 Platform SDK and am not finding anything documented on the process
    > to use. Has anyone had any success with this?

    I did - I built the official binaries with it.

    > If so has anyone
    > documented it? The documentation that resides in pcbuild/readme.txt is
    > not helpful at all.

    Did you try to follow it? If so, what precisely did you fail at?

    [in another message]

    > This doc has not been updated since the 64 bit compilers came out
    > officially.

    That is not true. The documentation was last updated on 2006-07-14,
    which is after an AMD-64 SDK was released.

    > It doesn't make a whole lot of sense of what steps you
    > should follow to build python. I saw a link on the comp.lang.python
    > that had the steps, but that link doesn't go anywhere now. I had to
    > jump through some hoops to get it to build on VC 2005 64 bit, but that
    > at least had an IDE to use

    If you use vsextcomp, you also have an IDE to do the build. This
    is indeed how the official AMD-64 binaries for Python 2.5 were
    produced.

    Regards,
    Martin
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=, Apr 4, 2007

    On Apr 4, 5:04 pm, "Martin v. Löwis" <> wrote:
    > schrieb:
    >
    > > I am needing to buildpython2.5 on Windows XP x64 Windows Server 2003
    > > sp1PlatformSDKand am not finding anything documented on the process
    > > to use. Has anyone had any success with this?

    > I did - I built the official binaries with it.
    >
    > > If so has anyone
    > > documented it? The documentation that resides in pcbuild/readme.txt is
    > > not helpful at all.

    > Did you try to follow it? If so, what precisely did you fail at?
    >
    > [in another message]
    >
    > > This doc has not been updated since the 64 bit compilers came out
    > > officially.

    > That is not true. The documentation was last updated on 2006-07-14,
    > which is after an AMD-64SDKwas released.
    >
    > > It doesn't make a whole lot of sense of what steps you
    > > should follow to buildpython. I saw a link on the comp.lang.python
    > > that had the steps, but that link doesn't go anywhere now. I had to
    > > jump through some hoops to get it to build on VC 2005 64 bit, but that
    > > at least had an IDE to use

    > If you use vsextcomp, you also have an IDE to do the build. This
    > is indeed how the official AMD-64 binaries forPython2.5 were
    > produced.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Martin

    I guess I am a little confused on the directions for the vsextcomp. I
    don't see an IDE for the vsextcomp. Do you know of any explicit
    directions on how to do this build?
    , Apr 11, 2007
  9. Re: troubles building python 2.5 on Windows XP x64 Windows Server2003 sp1 Platform SDK

    > I guess I am a little confused on the directions for the vsextcomp. I
    > don't see an IDE for the vsextcomp. Do you know of any explicit
    > directions on how to do this build?

    Can you please explicitly say what step you did and at what precise
    step you failed?

    0. Install VS 2003
    1. Install vsextcomp
    2. open VS 2003
    3. open the project files in PCbuild
    4. select the AMD64 target
    5. run build

    HTH,
    Martin
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=, Apr 11, 2007