Troubleshooting cpan

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by kj, Mar 27, 2007.

  1. kj

    kj Guest

    When I try to use the cpan command, attempts to fetch files (e.g.
    01mailrc.txt.gz) time out. This happens in 2 out of the 3 machines
    I've tried it on, all of which live in the same LAN and behind the
    same firewall. I can't figure out why cpan works in one of the
    machines but not in the others. The two "failing machines" are
    entirely different (a SuSE Linux box and an iMac). The machine
    where cpan works is another SuSE Linux box.

    More confusingly still, I can download 01mailrc.txt.gz from the
    "failing machines" if I use wget, which rules out some major
    connection problem. Unfortunately, cpan does not emit any diagnostic
    to explain why its attempts to download files time out. Why would
    cpan fail when wget succeeds on the same machine?

    Thanks!

    kj

    kj, Mar 27, 2007

  2. kj

    Guest

    On Mar 27, 1:57 pm, kj <> wrote:

    > More confusingly still, I can download 01mailrc.txt.gz from the
    > "failing machines" if I use wget

    But is your CPAN module configured to use wget as a communication
    method? (type 'o conf' in a CPAN shell and see if wget is correctly
    defined)

    David Filmer (http://DavidFilmer.com)

    , Mar 27, 2007

  3. kj

    brian d foy Guest

    In article <euc0g6$pv$>, kj
    <> wrote:

    > When I try to use the cpan command, attempts to fetch files (e.g.
    > 01mailrc.txt.gz) time out.

    If you have access to the net and this isn't working, I suspect you
    have a configuration problem, or are using a bad CPAN mirror. Can you
    post your configuration?

    $ cpan
    cpan> o conf

    Thanks,

    brian d foy, Mar 28, 2007
  4. kj

    kj Guest

    In <460a02d3$0$6398$-online.net> Christian Winter <> writes:

    >kj wrote:
    >> When I try to use the cpan command, attempts to fetch files (e.g.
    >> 01mailrc.txt.gz) time out. This happens in 2 out of the 3 machines
    >> I've tried it on, all of which live in the same LAN and behind the
    >> same firewall. I can't figure out why cpan works in one of the
    >> machines but not in the others. The two "failing machines" are
    >> entirely different (a SuSE Linux box and an iMac). The machine
    >> where cpan works is another SuSE Linux box.
    >>
    >> More confusingly still, I can download 01mailrc.txt.gz from the
    >> "failing machines" if I use wget, which rules out some major
    >> connection problem. Unfortunately, cpan does not emit any diagnostic
    >> to explain why its attempts to download files time out. Why would
    >> cpan fail when wget succeeds on the same machine?

    >Does the machine from which it works have, by any chance, either
    >an environment variable FTP_PASSIVE set or the option
    >"ftp_int_passive" enabled in libnet.cfg? If not, has it got
    >an ftp_proxy environment setting that the others are missing?

    Thanks. FTP_PASSIVE is unset in the working machine, and I can't
    find a file named libnet.cfg in it, but, be that as it may, setting
    the ftp_int_passive option in the MyConfig.pm files of the failing
    machines did the trick.

    kj

    kj, Mar 29, 2007