    We have tried since on the new platforms and see the same results. Makes me
    wonder if there is something fishy with our domain.

    Should one be able to make a trusted connection in a 2 server scenario?
    CD, Feb 24, 2005

  2. "CD" <> wrote in message
    news:#...
    > Win03 and Win03SQLsp3a servers in the same domain. We are in hybrid mode
    > with W03 DC's
    >
    > Back on NT 4, one could not do a trusted connection via web page when IIS
    > and SQL were on different servers.
    >
    > We have tried since on the new platforms and see the same results. Makes

    me
    > wonder if there is something fishy with our domain.
    >
    > Should one be able to make a trusted connection in a 2 server scenario?

    Nothing wrong with your domain. See:

    Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    Tom Kaminski [MVP], Feb 24, 2005

  3. CD

    CD Guest

    Thanks for the reply.

    In Q176377 it makes reference to fixed but for Kerberos only...
    1) Is this a method that can be defined in the connection string?

    Comment from Q:
    By eliminating the need for IIS to create an authenticated connection to SQL
    Server, you can work around this problem. To do this you must use a data
    source name (DSN) that does not look out to the network for the SQL Server
    and instead looks directly to the local machine. This can be done by using
    the "(local)" setting in a System DSN.

    2)Does this mean if the programmer was to use a Local DSN on the web server
    it would do a trusted connection to the remote SQL? Assume it was defined
    as such in the local DSN creation. In the past they have used DSN-Less
    connection strings.

    CD, Feb 25, 2005
  4. "CD" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the reply.
    >
    > In Q176377 it makes reference to fixed but for Kerberos only...
    > 1) Is this a method that can be defined in the connection string?

    Not 100% sure but i don't think so.

    > Comment from Q:
    > By eliminating the need for IIS to create an authenticated connection to

    SQL
    > Server, you can work around this problem. To do this you must use a data
    > source name (DSN) that does not look out to the network for the SQL Server
    > and instead looks directly to the local machine. This can be done by using
    > the "(local)" setting in a System DSN.
    >
    > 2)Does this mean if the programmer was to use a Local DSN on the web

    server
    > it would do a trusted connection to the remote SQL? Assume it was defined
    > as such in the local DSN creation. In the past they have used DSN-Less
    > connection strings.

    No - local would refer to a database on that server.

    Tom Kaminski [MVP], Feb 25, 2005
  5. CD

    CD Guest

    Thanks Tom,

    So this is another MS cluster fudge. They would rather you use only NT
    authencation for SQL. But yet it causes issues with data access from a web
    server. I am not in favor of sending plain text across the network as this
    seems to be the only option for a trusted connection.
    CD, Feb 25, 2005