Trying to compile Mongrel with nmake

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by olleolleolle, Jan 31, 2006.

  1. olleolleolle

    olleolleolle Guest

    Hi group,

    My name is Olle, and I'm on Windows at the moment, and I procrastinate
    from work by trying to get nmake to compile the Mongrel gem. (I'm a
    beginner at compiling.)

    I got the nmake1.5 from Microsoft's website, after following the advice
    of a blog post on a Perl website.
    http://johnbokma.com/perl/make-for-windows.html. I stuck the nmake.exe
    and nmake.err in the ruby/bin folder. From there, I could run it.

    1. Is nmake 1.50 good enough to compile Mongrel?

    2. First I got two error messages from nmake, is this normal behaviour
    when compiling gems on Windows? Text-chunk #1 shows these messages.

    3. After this, the ouput was as Text-chunk #2 indicates, a Ruby check
    for the main() function in the c.lib from Mongrel. With the answer
    "no". I take it that this indicates a failure.

    4. After the nmake lines I have the happy messages:

    Successfully installed mongrel, version 0.1.0
    Installing RDoc documentation for mongrel-0.1.0...

    (I take it these messages are false alarms.)

    When I try and run the included script at http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/
    under the heading "Usage", I get an error:

    (No such file to load -- mongrel (LoadError)).

    Changing the require to require_gem gave antoher error on the first
    line where Mongrel is mentioned:

    uninitialized constant Mongrel (NameError)

    What would you do in this case? Where can I find out more on nmake and
    gems? Thanks in advance,

    Olle Jonsson

    ===Text-chunk #1:===

    C:\Documents and Settings\olle>gem install mongrel
    Attempting local installation of 'mongrel'

    Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 1.50
    Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp 1988-94. All rights reserved.

    'cl' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.
    NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe' : return code
    '0x1'
    Stop.

    Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 1.50
    Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp 1988-94. All rights reserved.

    'cl' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.
    NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe' : return code
    '0x1'
    Stop.

    ===Text-chunk #2:===

    ruby extconf.rb install mongrel
    checking for main() in c.lib... no
    creating Makefile

    olleolleolle, Jan 31, 2006

  2. On 01/02/06, olleolleolle <> wrote:
    > Hi group,
    >
    > My name is Olle, and I'm on Windows at the moment, and I procrastinate
    > from work by trying to get nmake to compile the Mongrel gem. (I'm a
    > beginner at compiling.)

    You need a C++ compiler.

    -austin
    --
    Austin Ziegler *
    * Alternate:

    Austin Ziegler, Feb 1, 2006

  3. olleolleolle

    Zed Shaw Guest

    On Feb 1, 2006, at 4:47 PM, olleolleolle wrote:

    > Hi group,
    >
    > My name is Olle, and I'm on Windows at the moment, and I procrastinate
    > from work by trying to get nmake to compile the Mongrel gem. (I'm a
    > beginner at compiling.)
    >
    > I got the nmake1.5 from Microsoft's website, after following the
    > advice
    > of a blog post on a Perl website.
    > http://johnbokma.com/perl/make-for-windows.html. I stuck the nmake.exe
    > and nmake.err in the ruby/bin folder. From there, I could run it.

    As Austin mentioned before I think you need the entire Microsoft VC++
    set of tools. I believe you can get these for free now, but I'm not
    quite sure if those will build modules for Ruby. I'm actually
    looking to build a pre-compiled gem for win32 and osx in the near
    future.

    > 1. Is nmake 1.50 good enough to compile Mongrel?

    Sorry, no idea really. I don't do as many win32 builds as I should.

    <snip>
    > 4. After the nmake lines I have the happy messages:
    >
    > Successfully installed mongrel, version 0.1.0
    > Installing RDoc documentation for mongrel-0.1.0...

    Darn, looks like it still says 0.1.0 for the version. I'll have to
    update as it *should* be 0.2.0.

    > When I try and run the included script at http://
    > mongrel.rubyforge.org/
    > under the heading "Usage", I get an error:

    Yeah, something is up. I'd say keep tinkering if you want, but
    mostly you're probably better off waiting for the next release and
    using the pre-built gems I want to do.

    Zed A. Shaw
    http://www.zedshaw.com/

    Zed Shaw, Feb 2, 2006