Trying to find ClientID of web form

Neo Geshel

I need to get the ClientID of a form field for some JavaScript. About
25+ web sites I visited recommend the following method for finding the
client ID of a web form:

Web Form -> <asp:TextBox ID="datefield" type="hidden" Runat="Server" />
Client ID -> <%= datefield.ClientID() %>

Unfortunately, this only provides the following error:

Compilation Error
Compiler Error Message: BC30451: Name 'datefield' is not declared.
Source Error:
Line 200:
Line 201:
Line 202:<%= datefield.ClientID() %>
Line 203:
Line 204:

Why does this throw an error on my page? IF this is wrong, why did the
other 25+ MVP's (who recommended this method) also get it wrong?

Also, how does one make an <asp:TextBox /> invisible on the web page?
Using a Type="hidden" doesn't seem to do the trick (it is still visible).

TIA
....Geshel
My reply-to is an automatically monitored spam honeypot. Do not use it
unless you want to be blacklisted by SpamCop. Please reply to my first
name at my last name dot org.

Brock Allen

Client ID is a property not a method. Drop the "()" after you call to "datefield.ClientID()"