Trying to get Microsoft Script Debugger working with classic ASP, please help ..

wbsurfver

I am trying to get the debugger to work for ASP. The server is set up
with classic ASP, on IIS 6.0. I just installed the Microsoft Script
Debugger version 1.0.7295, and older product (97). Anyway, I followed
all the config instructions I could find. I had to run the debugger by
finding it in Windows Explorer as the install gave me no icons. At any
rate, I noticed when I had the debbuger running and I was looking at
help files on the server, the debugger showed those as running
documents.

To configure for debugging, I enabled debuging asp in the IIS manager

I ran dcomcnfg from startup/run found machine debug and set the
properties. Location is checkboxed as "run app on this computer"

The ASP 3.0 book (1999) says to to start/run: MMC and use that to
configure debugging. I figured out how to do that after locating the
iis.msc file, and then finally it appears that from that angle it
looks correct as well, but when I open a browser session from a remote
machine that connects to the server, the debugger doesn't show
anything in the running documents window, so I am stumped at the
moment and slightly bewildered,

any ideas ? things to try ? thanks alot

Anthony Jones

[...]

I'm not all that familiar with script debugger (I use VS) however if you
currently have a debug session attached to the IISHelp pages you will be
attached to the DLLHOST exe process that runs the pooled ASP applications.

If your application protection is set to Low or High then it won't be in
this process.

Mark J. McGinty

[...]

You're running IIS and the script debugger on the same system right? If so,
it often helps to add an explicit debugging break to the code:

VBS:
Stop

JScript:
debugger;

If it is configured properly and attached to the right process, the debugger
will open and break on that line. It's often easier to do that, than it is
to set a breakpoint [that works] via the UI.

Note that the "right process" to attach to, when debugging ASP, will never
be iexplore.exe. Any script running in the context of iexplore.exe is
running on the client side. (I realize the semantics become tedious when
the server and client are both running on the same PC, but be that as it
may, the sides are still very much distinct.)

If you're trying to debug ASP [using the script host's debugging] as it runs
on a remote server, good luck with that (I've never gotten that to fly.)

(btw, MSE.EXE, that installs with Office, has a much more workable debugging
UI, than does the bare-bones script debugger.)

-Mark