Trying to get pcap working

Michael Matthews

Hello,

I'm fairly new to Python, and have run into dead ends in trying to
figure out what is going on. The basic thing I am trying to do is get
pylibpcap working on a Python installation. More precisely, I want to
get it working on an ActiveState Python installation.

I have it working on cygwin (Windows XP). I was hoping to just be able
to copy the pcap.py and _pcapmodule.dll file to a directory in the
ActiveState install's sys.path (they are both in C:\Python25\Lib\site-
packages). When I do this, it finds pcap.py just fine, but then
errors with:

C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages>python
Python 2.5.2 (r252:60911, Feb 21 2008, 13:11:45) [MSC v.1310 32 bit
(Intel)] on
win32
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
File "C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\pcap.py", line 7, in <module>
import _pcap
ImportError: No module named _pcap

(The build and initial install was done under cygwin because I could;
the goal is to "package" this up into a zip file and install it on
some more servers.)

Getting python to access the _pcapmodule.dll seems to be key; why does
the cygwin python installation work and ActiveState does not? Is
there some sort of central known-DLL repository somewhere?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Michael Matthews