Trying to get started

cyril_kearney

I've loaded Java from www.java.com. The page does not identify which
version it is. I think it is
jre1.6.0_07. I've loaded it to windows vista home edition.

I took a Hello World Application from the site.

I went to the Command box (MS.DOS) and typed javac HelloWorldApp.java
into the directory c:program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07.
HelloWorldApp.java is in that directory.

The computer responded:
'javac' is not recognized as internal or external command, operable
program or batch file.

I then searched for 'javac' and got no hits on my computer.

I really would rather work from my IE or Firefox browser but don't
know where to start.

Can anyone help?

rajeevbhatta

For running the program you need to have the JDK installed instead of
the JRE. JRE provides just the environment for precompiled code to
run. You ca download JDK from java.sun.com

softwarepearls_com

I've loaded Java fromwww.java.com.  The page does not identify which
version it is.  I think it is
jre1.6.0_07.  I've loaded it to windows vista home edition.

I took a Hello World Application from the site.

I went to the Command box (MS.DOS) and typed javac HelloWorldApp.java
into the directory c:program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07.
HelloWorldApp.java is in that directory.

The computer responded:
'javac' is not recognized as internal or external command, operable
program or batch file.

I then searched for 'javac' and got no hits on my computer.

I really would rather work from my IE or Firefox browser but don't
know where to start.

Can anyone help?

Java is a real, industry-strength programming language, and therefore
you don't program in it within a browser. At the very least you'll
need to fire up a text editor. I suggest you track down Sun's
excellent The Java Tutorial and follow their wise learning route

Evans

I've loaded Java fromwww.java.com.  The page does not identify which
version it is.  I think it is
jre1.6.0_07.  I've loaded it to windows vista home edition.

I took a Hello World Application from the site.

I went to the Command box (MS.DOS) and typed javac HelloWorldApp.java
into the directory c:program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07.
HelloWorldApp.java is in that directory.

The computer responded:
'javac' is not recognized as internal or external command, operable
program or batch file.

I then searched for 'javac' and got no hits on my computer.

I really would rather work from my IE or Firefox browser but don't
know where to start.

Can anyone help?

If you want to learn to program in Java, I would suggest you download
either Eclipse or NetBeans and start learning with those tools. Don't
waste your time and energy trying to figure out how to get it running
through a command prompt - you will be frustrated.

But if you still want to stick with the command line route, then you
will need to know how to add the installation to your classpath for it
to work from anywhere on your system.

I know am it all sounds confusing...that's why I've suggested the IDE
route.

Have a great Java time

Mark Space

I've loaded Java from www.java.com. The page does not identify which
version it is. I think it is
jre1.6.0_07. I've loaded it to windows vista home edition.

I took a Hello World Application from the site.

I went to the Command box (MS.DOS) and typed javac HelloWorldApp.java
into the directory c:program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07.
HelloWorldApp.java is in that directory.

The computer responded:
'javac' is not recognized as internal or external command, operable
program or batch file.

OK, two things:

First, you need the JDK. The JDK includes the JRE, but no harm done
downloading the JRE. Getting the JRE alone doesn't let you do
develpment, it just lets you run programs someone else has written.

Second, browser? Uh... do you want Java? Or JavaScript? There's a big
difference. Better check and make sure.

Assuming you want Java, there's nothing wrong with using the command
line as you are doing, but it's kinda impractical in the long run.
These days everyone uses an IDE. Eclipse and NetBeans are both fine, I
prefer NetBeans personally.

http://download.netbeans.org/netbeans/6.1/final/

Either get the "Java SE" version, or get the "All" version. Don't go
for any of the others, some aren't even Java at all (Ruby, PHP, etc.). A
good IDE will make your life much easier.

Lastly, there are free classes on Java at this website. Take a look,
they do an excellent job of getting someone new started:

http://www.javapassion.com/javaintro/