Trying to have exclusive full screen mode with widgets as well

CVT

Hi, I am new to Java and would like to use the exclusive full screen
mode and the double buffer strategy. But I would also like to have part
of that screen as just a normal widget area with buttons, combo boxes etc.

So I am guessing I would need to do the double buffer strategy redrawing
just on the canvas where I want to put images and leave the rest of the
screen to be updated normally. Is this possible?

All the examples I have seen so far create and fullscreen frame and
window but there is no area where to put widgets. eg.

Frame frame = new Frame(gd.getDefaultConfiguration());
Window win = new Window(frame);

If I try add widgets to the win component they just get overwritten by
the redraw routine understanably.

What I can not find is a fullscreen example which has a drawn canvas
area and an area for widgets like:

---------
| dbl buf.|
| canvas |
| widgets |
---------

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks,

Chad.