Trying to implment what I have in ASP.NET 1.1 in ASP.NET 2.0 and am lost!

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by news.microsoft.com, Apr 15, 2005.

  1. I have a collection of pages and user controls in a separate project that I
    compile and use in a sub folder of a all my projects. This is a collection
    of re-usable modules that I use on every project I do.

    The logic in the page is to load the related "core" user control, and if the
    "site-specific" user control exists, load it too - most of the logic of the
    "page" is in the user controls... for example, I have these pages/controls
    in a project:

    /core/editPage.aspx
    This simply has the logic to load the "/core/editPage.ascx" page and if the
    "/ss/editPage.aspx" exists it loads it to. Also checks a flag to see if the
    "core" page is turned on, if not, only loads "site-specific" page. Also has
    the logic to call the "save" method on the "core" and "site-specific" user
    controls.

    /core/editPage.ascx
    Has a collection of text boxes and logic to save their values.

    /ss/editPage.ascx
    Option 1 - New user control that has a couple extra text boxes on it that is
    unique to a site and the logic to save the extra data.
    Option 2 - A copy of /core/editPage.ascx, re-arranges the controls (or hides
    a few controls) per the needs of the site and "inherits" from the
    /core/editPage.ascx code behind - "core" user control is flagged as "off"

    This is a key component to my framework and allows me to reuse a ton of
    functionality and quickly/easily change it on a site per site basis.

    I have no idea now to implement something like this in .NET 2.0 - I was able
    come up with a way to load the "core" and "site-specific" user controls with
    out a problem, but now if I have to "override" the core page, basically
    Option 2 from above, then I have no idea how to have the "site-specific"
    control inherit from the "core" control...

    Any ideas would be great, thanks!

    Nayt Grochowski
    news.microsoft.com, Apr 15, 2005