TRying to import files from my folder not pythons lib folder

tedpottel

Hi,

I'm trying to create my own lib of functions, but it seems like I can
only import them if they are in pythons lib folder.

Example
I have a folder called
K:\mypython

Now in the interactive python shell I type
Import k:\mypython\listall
And get a error on :

If I store listall.py in pythons lib folder and type
Limport listall

It works fins.

Can I create my own library of functions and store them in a separate
dir????

Also I try to creat a folder in pythomns lib folder and that did not
work

Help
-Ted

kyosohma

Hi,

I'm trying to create my own lib of functions, but it seems like I can
only import them if they are in pythons lib folder.

Example
I have a folder called
K:\mypython

Now in the interactive python shell I type
Import k:\mypython\listall
And get a error on :

If I store listall.py in pythons lib folder and type
Limport listall

It works fins.

Can I create my own library of functions and store them in a separate
dir????

Also I try to creat a folder in pythomns lib folder and that did not
work

Help
-Ted

One workaround is to do to this:

<code>

import sys
sys.path.append(r'K:\mypython')
import listall

</code>

You can also add your path to the .pth file, but I've never done that,
so I can't tell you how.

Hope that helps!

Mike

Steve Holden

One workaround is to do to this:

<code>

import sys
sys.path.append(r'K:\mypython')
import listall

</code>

You can also add your path to the .pth file, but I've never done that,
so I can't tell you how.

Hope that helps!

Mike
The easiest way, particularly for testing, is to set the PYTHONPATH
variable. It should be a colon-separated list of directories on Unices,
and a semi-colon separated list on Windows. Those directories will be
added to sys.path.

See http://docs.python.org/tut/node8.html for yet more.

regards
Steve

--
Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119

Sorry, the dog ate my .sigline

?

=?iso-8859-1?q?Luis_M=2E_Gonz=E1lez?=

Steve said:
The easiest way, particularly for testing, is to set the PYTHONPATH
variable. It should be a colon-separated list of directories on Unices,
and a semi-colon separated list on Windows. Those directories will be
added to sys.path.

See http://docs.python.org/tut/node8.html for yet more.

regards
Steve

--
Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119

Sorry, the dog ate my .sigline

This is exactly what I did, but I have a new problem now:
After seting PYTHONPATH I'm no longer able to start IDLE from the
start menu.
It seems the system cannot find the file.
But if I eliminate PYTHONPATH, everything works as it used to.

I set PYTHONPATH because I wanted to import any existing file in my
desktop without having to use sys.path.append...
It works when using the command line but strangely, something get
messed up with IDLE.
Any hint?

Luis

Gabriel Genellina

This is exactly what I did, but I have a new problem now:
After seting PYTHONPATH I'm no longer able to start IDLE from the
start menu.
It seems the system cannot find the file.
But if I eliminate PYTHONPATH, everything works as it used to.

I set PYTHONPATH because I wanted to import any existing file in my
desktop without having to use sys.path.append...
It works when using the command line but strangely, something get
messed up with IDLE.
Any hint?

Perhaps a python module in your desktop has a name conflicting with a
standard module?

- On the Start menu, navigate to the IDLE item, but dont click it.
- RIGHT click on it, and select Properties. Copy the Destination field.
Should be something like "C:\Python25\Lib\idlelib\idle.bat"
- Open a cmd window (console), paste the above text and press Enter.
- Almost certainly you'll get an error; post here the full error and
traceback.

?

=?iso-8859-1?q?Luis_M=2E_Gonz=E1lez?=

Perhaps a python module in your desktop has a name conflicting with a
standard module?

- On the Start menu, navigate to the IDLE item, but dont click it.
- RIGHT click on it, and select Properties. Copy the Destination field.
Should be something like "C:\Python25\Lib\idlelib\idle.bat"
- Open a cmd window (console), paste the above text and press Enter.
- Almost certainly you'll get an error; post here the full error and
traceback.

If I paste the destination path in the command window, it simply
disappears before I can read any error message.
If I enter "cmd" and then the destination path, I get this:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrador>C:\Python25\Lib\idlelib
\idle.bat
El sistema no puede encontrar el archivo idle.pyw.

Any hint?

Luis

?

=?iso-8859-1?q?Luis_M=2E_Gonz=E1lez?=

Perhaps a python module in your desktop has a name conflicting with a
standard module?

- On the Start menu, navigate to the IDLE item, but dont click it.
- RIGHT click on it, and select Properties. Copy the Destination field.
Should be something like "C:\Python25\Lib\idlelib\idle.bat"
- Open a cmd window (console), paste the above text and press Enter.
- Almost certainly you'll get an error; post here the full error and
traceback.

I solved the problem!
You were right. It seems there was a module that was causing problems,
although I don't know which one...
I just moved all the .py files on my desktop to a new folder, and
everything worked just fine.
The list of .py files in my desktop were:

'code.py', 'code2.py', 'code22.py', 'code3.py', 'draft.py',
'flups.py', 'forma.py', 'fx.py', 'nuevo.py', 'nwind', 'ops',
'pages.py', 'qqq.py', 'sample.py', 'ses.py', 'sess.py', 'sess2.py',
'soup.py', 'style.py', 'test_session.py', 'up.py', 'up2.py', 'ww.py',
'xx.pyw', 'xx.rsrc.py', 'xxxx.py'

Any idea of which one was causing trouble?

Gracias, che!
Luis

Gabriel Genellina

I solved the problem!
You were right. It seems there was a module that was causing problems,
although I don't know which one...
I just moved all the .py files on my desktop to a new folder, and
everything worked just fine.
The list of .py files in my desktop were:

'code.py', 'code2.py', 'code22.py', 'code3.py', 'draft.py',
'flups.py', 'forma.py', 'fx.py', 'nuevo.py', 'nwind', 'ops',
'pages.py', 'qqq.py', 'sample.py', 'ses.py', 'sess.py', 'sess2.py',
'soup.py', 'style.py', 'test_session.py', 'up.py', 'up2.py', 'ww.py',
'xx.pyw', 'xx.rsrc.py', 'xxxx.py'

Any idea of which one was causing trouble?

Possibly code.py, it's a standard module
Gracias, che!

De nada loco!