TRying to import files from my folder not pythons lib folder

Discussion in 'Python' started by tedpottel@gmail.com, Sep 21, 2007.

    I'm trying to create my own lib of functions, but it seems like I can
    only import them if they are in pythons lib folder.

    Example
    I have a folder called
    K:\mypython

    Now in the interactive python shell I type
    Import k:\mypython\listall
    And get a error on :

    If I store listall.py in pythons lib folder and type
    Limport listall

    It works fins.

    Can I create my own library of functions and store them in a separate
    dir????

    Also I try to creat a folder in pythomns lib folder and that did not
    work

    Help
    -Ted

    , Sep 21, 2007

    On Sep 21, 12:32 pm, "" <>
    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to create my own lib of functions, but it seems like I can
    > only import them if they are in pythons lib folder.
    >
    > Example
    > I have a folder called
    > K:\mypython
    >
    > Now in the interactive python shell I type
    > Import k:\mypython\listall
    > And get a error on :
    >
    > If I store listall.py in pythons lib folder and type
    > Limport listall
    >
    > It works fins.
    >
    > Can I create my own library of functions and store them in a separate
    > dir????
    >
    > Also I try to creat a folder in pythomns lib folder and that did not
    > work
    >
    > Help
    > -Ted

    One workaround is to do to this:

    <code>

    import sys
    sys.path.append(r'K:\mypython')
    import listall

    </code>

    You can also add your path to the .pth file, but I've never done that,
    so I can't tell you how.

    Hope that helps!

    Mike

    , Sep 21, 2007

  3. Steve Holden Guest

    wrote:
    > On Sep 21, 12:32 pm, "" <>
    > wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm trying to create my own lib of functions, but it seems like I can
    >> only import them if they are in pythons lib folder.
    >>
    >> Example
    >> I have a folder called
    >> K:\mypython
    >>
    >> Now in the interactive python shell I type
    >> Import k:\mypython\listall
    >> And get a error on :
    >>
    >> If I store listall.py in pythons lib folder and type
    >> Limport listall
    >>
    >> It works fins.
    >>
    >> Can I create my own library of functions and store them in a separate
    >> dir????
    >>
    >> Also I try to creat a folder in pythomns lib folder and that did not
    >> work
    >>
    >> Help
    >> -Ted

    > One workaround is to do to this:
    >
    > <code>
    >
    > import sys
    > sys.path.append(r'K:\mypython')
    > import listall
    >
    > </code>
    >
    > You can also add your path to the .pth file, but I've never done that,
    > so I can't tell you how.
    >
    > Hope that helps!
    >
    > Mike

    The easiest way, particularly for testing, is to set the PYTHONPATH
    variable. It should be a colon-separated list of directories on Unices,
    and a semi-colon separated list on Windows. Those directories will be
    added to sys.path.

    See http://docs.python.org/tut/node8.html for yet more.

    regards
    Steve

    --
    Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119

    Sorry, the dog ate my .sigline

    Steve Holden, Sep 21, 2007
  4. Steve Holden wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > On Sep 21, 12:32 pm, "" <>
    > > wrote:
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> I'm trying to create my own lib of functions, but it seems like I can
    > >> only import them if they are in pythons lib folder.
    > >>
    > >> Example
    > >> I have a folder called
    > >> K:\mypython
    > >>
    > >> Now in the interactive python shell I type
    > >> Import k:\mypython\listall
    > >> And get a error on :
    > >>
    > >> If I store listall.py in pythons lib folder and type
    > >> Limport listall
    > >>
    > >> It works fins.
    > >>
    > >> Can I create my own library of functions and store them in a separate
    > >> dir????
    > >>
    > >> Also I try to creat a folder in pythomns lib folder and that did not
    > >> work
    > >>
    > >> Help
    > >> -Ted

    > > One workaround is to do to this:
    > >
    > > <code>
    > >
    > > import sys
    > > sys.path.append(r'K:\mypython')
    > > import listall
    > >
    > > </code>
    > >
    > > You can also add your path to the .pth file, but I've never done that,
    > > so I can't tell you how.
    > >
    > > Hope that helps!
    > >
    > > Mike
    > >

    > The easiest way, particularly for testing, is to set the PYTHONPATH
    > variable. It should be a colon-separated list of directories on Unices,
    > and a semi-colon separated list on Windows. Those directories will be
    > added to sys.path.
    >
    > See http://docs.python.org/tut/node8.html for yet more.
    >
    > regards
    > Steve
    >
    > --
    > Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119
    > Holden Web LLC/Ltd http://www.holdenweb.com
    > Skype: holdenweb http://del.icio.us/steve.holden
    >
    > Sorry, the dog ate my .sigline

    This is exactly what I did, but I have a new problem now:
    After seting PYTHONPATH I'm no longer able to start IDLE from the
    start menu.
    It seems the system cannot find the file.
    But if I eliminate PYTHONPATH, everything works as it used to.

    I set PYTHONPATH because I wanted to import any existing file in my
    desktop without having to use sys.path.append...
    It works when using the command line but strangely, something get
    messed up with IDLE.
    Any hint?

    Luis

    =?iso-8859-1?q?Luis_M=2E_Gonz=E1lez?=, Sep 24, 2007
  5. En Sun, 23 Sep 2007 22:01:39 -0300, Luis M. González <>
    escribi�:

    > This is exactly what I did, but I have a new problem now:
    > After seting PYTHONPATH I'm no longer able to start IDLE from the
    > start menu.
    > It seems the system cannot find the file.
    > But if I eliminate PYTHONPATH, everything works as it used to.
    >
    > I set PYTHONPATH because I wanted to import any existing file in my
    > desktop without having to use sys.path.append...
    > It works when using the command line but strangely, something get
    > messed up with IDLE.
    > Any hint?

    Perhaps a python module in your desktop has a name conflicting with a
    standard module?

    - On the Start menu, navigate to the IDLE item, but dont click it.
    - RIGHT click on it, and select Properties. Copy the Destination field.
    Should be something like "C:\Python25\Lib\idlelib\idle.bat"
    - Open a cmd window (console), paste the above text and press Enter.
    - Almost certainly you'll get an error; post here the full error and
    traceback.

    --
    Gabriel Genellina

    Gabriel Genellina, Sep 24, 2007
  6. On Sep 24, 5:00 am, "Gabriel Genellina" <>
    wrote:
    > En Sun, 23 Sep 2007 22:01:39 -0300, Luis M. González <>
    > escribi?:
    >
    > > This is exactly what I did, but I have a new problem now:
    > > After setingPYTHONPATHI'm no longer able to start IDLE from the
    > > start menu.
    > > It seems the system cannot find the file.
    > > But if I eliminatePYTHONPATH, everything works as it used to.

    > > I setPYTHONPATHbecause I wanted to import any existing file in my
    > > desktop without having to use sys.path.append...
    > > It works when using the command line but strangely, something get
    > > messed up with IDLE.
    > > Any hint?

    > Perhaps a python module in your desktop has a name conflicting with a
    > standard module?
    >
    > - On the Start menu, navigate to the IDLE item, but dont click it.
    > - RIGHT click on it, and select Properties. Copy the Destination field.
    > Should be something like "C:\Python25\Lib\idlelib\idle.bat"
    > - Open a cmd window (console), paste the above text and press Enter.
    > - Almost certainly you'll get an error; post here the full error and
    > traceback.
    >
    > --
    > Gabriel Genellina

    If I paste the destination path in the command window, it simply
    disappears before I can read any error message.
    If I enter "cmd" and then the destination path, I get this:

    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrador>C:\Python25\Lib\idlelib
    \idle.bat
    El sistema no puede encontrar el archivo idle.pyw.

    Any hint?

    Luis

    =?iso-8859-1?q?Luis_M=2E_Gonz=E1lez?=, Sep 25, 2007
  7. On Sep 24, 5:00 am, "Gabriel Genellina" <>
    wrote:
    > En Sun, 23 Sep 2007 22:01:39 -0300, Luis M. González <>
    > escribi?:
    >
    > > This is exactly what I did, but I have a new problem now:
    > > After setingPYTHONPATHI'm no longer able to start IDLE from the
    > > start menu.
    > > It seems the system cannot find the file.
    > > But if I eliminatePYTHONPATH, everything works as it used to.

    > > I setPYTHONPATHbecause I wanted to import any existing file in my
    > > desktop without having to use sys.path.append...
    > > It works when using the command line but strangely, something get
    > > messed up with IDLE.
    > > Any hint?

    > Perhaps a python module in your desktop has a name conflicting with a
    > standard module?
    >
    > - On the Start menu, navigate to the IDLE item, but dont click it.
    > - RIGHT click on it, and select Properties. Copy the Destination field.
    > Should be something like "C:\Python25\Lib\idlelib\idle.bat"
    > - Open a cmd window (console), paste the above text and press Enter.
    > - Almost certainly you'll get an error; post here the full error and
    > traceback.
    >
    > --
    > Gabriel Genellina

    I solved the problem!
    You were right. It seems there was a module that was causing problems,
    although I don't know which one...
    I just moved all the .py files on my desktop to a new folder, and
    everything worked just fine.
    The list of .py files in my desktop were:

    'code.py', 'code2.py', 'code22.py', 'code3.py', 'draft.py',
    'flups.py', 'forma.py', 'fx.py', 'nuevo.py', 'nwind', 'ops',
    'pages.py', 'qqq.py', 'sample.py', 'ses.py', 'sess.py', 'sess2.py',
    'soup.py', 'style.py', 'test_session.py', 'up.py', 'up2.py', 'ww.py',
    'xx.pyw', 'xx.rsrc.py', 'xxxx.py'

    Any idea of which one was causing trouble?

    Gracias, che!
    Luis

    =?iso-8859-1?q?Luis_M=2E_Gonz=E1lez?=, Sep 25, 2007
  8. En Mon, 24 Sep 2007 22:36:38 -0300, Luis M. González <>
    escribi�:

    > I solved the problem!
    > You were right. It seems there was a module that was causing problems,
    > although I don't know which one...
    > I just moved all the .py files on my desktop to a new folder, and
    > everything worked just fine.
    > The list of .py files in my desktop were:
    >
    > 'code.py', 'code2.py', 'code22.py', 'code3.py', 'draft.py',
    > 'flups.py', 'forma.py', 'fx.py', 'nuevo.py', 'nwind', 'ops',
    > 'pages.py', 'qqq.py', 'sample.py', 'ses.py', 'sess.py', 'sess2.py',
    > 'soup.py', 'style.py', 'test_session.py', 'up.py', 'up2.py', 'ww.py',
    > 'xx.pyw', 'xx.rsrc.py', 'xxxx.py'
    >
    > Any idea of which one was causing trouble?

    Possibly code.py, it's a standard module
    <http://docs.python.org/lib/module-code.html>

    > Gracias, che!

    De nada loco!

    --