trying to install gems locally

msoulier

Hey,

I don't want to mess with my distro's version of Ruby, so I built Ruby
to a ruby directory in $HOME via --prefix in configure.

I then grabbed rubygems, and ran $HOME/ruby/bin/ruby setup.rb. It
installed, but now when I try to run it, I get this.

[msoulier@tigger ~]$ $HOME/ruby/bin/gem
/home/msoulier/ruby/bin/gem:3:in `require': No such file to load --
rubygems
(LoadError)
from /home/msoulier/ruby/bin/gem:3

Little help? Just trying to install a local copy of rails to play
around with.

Mike

msoulier

msoulier said:
[msoulier@tigger ~]$ $HOME/ruby/bin/gem
/home/msoulier/ruby/bin/gem:3:in `require': No such file to load --
rubygems
(LoadError)
from /home/msoulier/ruby/bin/gem:3

Found the problem. It installs with an intepreter of #!/usr/bin/env
ruby. Considering that I had to install it via $HOME/ruby/bin/ruby
setup.rb, you'd think it would be smart enough to use that interpreter.
Perl does this just fine.

Mike