Trying To Invoke a WebService

Wayne Wengert

I found a code sample that allows you to use a 5 digit zip code to lookup
the correct city and state using a Web Service (ASP.NET). When I run the
javascript code (see below) on my aspx page neither the "if
(window.XMLHttpRequest)" nor the " else if (window.ActiveXObject) " is true?
I tried viewing those objects status but they do not appear to be valid
objects in ASP.NET. How can I accomplish this?

Wayne

================= code ==============
<script language="Javascript">
<!--

var req;
var response;
var city;
var state;

function loadXMLDoc(url) {
// branch for native XMLHttpRequest object

if (window.XMLHttpRequest) {
req = new XMLHttpRequest();
req.onreadystatechange = processReqChange;
req.open("GET", url, true);
req.send(null);
// branch for IE/Windows ActiveX version
} else if (window.ActiveXObject) {
isIE = true;
req = new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP");
if (req) {
req.onreadystatechange = processReqChange;
req.open("GET", url, true);
req.send();

function processReqChange() {
if (req.readyState == 4) {
if (req.status == 200) {
document.forms[0].output.value = req.responseText
response = req.responseXML.documentElement;
city = response.getElementsByTagName('city')[0].firstChild.data;
state = response.getElementsByTagName('state')[0].firstChild.data;
alert(city);
document.forms[0].txtcity.value = city
document.forms[0].txtstate.value = state
} else {
alert("Please enter a valid zip code:\n" +
req.statusText);

function loadxml(form) {
loadXMLDoc('http://www.wengert.org/' +
'zipcodes.asmx/GetZip?z=' + document.forms[0].txtZIP.value);
}

//-->

</script>

McKirahan

Wayne Wengert said:
[...]

I don't know about ASP.NET but this works for me:

<head>
<title>xml_zip.htm</title>
<script type="text/javascript">
[...]

alert(city + ", " + state);
document.forms[0].txtcity.value = city
document.forms[0].txtstate.value = state
} else {
alert("Please enter a valid zip code:\n" + req.statusText);

function loadxml() {
loadXMLDoc('http://www.wengert.org/zipcodes.asmx/GetZip?z=' +
document.forms[0].txtZIP.value);
}
</script>
</head>
<form>
<input type="text" name="txtZIP" size="5" maxlength="5" value="">
<input type="button" value="Lookup" onclick="loadxml()">
<input type="text" name="txtcity">
<input type="text" name="txtstate">
<textarea name="output" cols="100" rows="30"></textarea>
</form>

I changed your
function loadxml(form) {
function loadxml() {
as well as the indentation for (my) readability.

Wayne Wengert

Thanks for the response. I too can get it to work if I use an old style
(ASP) form but it appears that the 2 objects I mentioned are not valid in an
ASP.NET environment?

Wayne

McKirahan said:
Wayne Wengert said:
[...]

Martin Honnen

Wayne said:
I found a code sample that allows you to use a 5 digit zip code to lookup
the correct city and state using a Web Service (ASP.NET). When I run the
javascript code (see below) on my aspx page neither the "if
(window.XMLHttpRequest)" nor the " else if (window.ActiveXObject) " is true?
I tried viewing those objects status but they do not appear to be valid
objects in ASP.NET.

What you have below is client-side JavaScript code which is executed in
the browser and has no relevance to ASP.NET which is executed on the
server. Of course XMLHttpRequest respectively Microsoft.XMLHTTP are
used to load data from a HTTP server but whether that server runs
classic ASP or ASP.NET or JSP or PHP or no server side scripting
framework at all is not relevant to using XMLHttpRequest or
Microsoft.XMLHTTP on the client. So the statement "they do not appear to
be valid objects in ASP.NET" does not really make sense, the client has
to support the objects and XMLHttpRequest is supported by Mozilla,
Netscape 7/8, Opera 8, Safari 1.2, Konqueror 3.3, and Microsoft.XMLHTTP
by IE 5 and later on Windows.
<script language="Javascript">
if (window.XMLHttpRequest) {
} else if (window.ActiveXObject) {

If something does not work as you want then it can have many reasons, if
you use Mozilla or Firefox check the JavaScript console first.

You need to be aware that with normal security settings XMLHttpRequest
can load data only from the same HTTP server as the HTML document with
the script has been loaded from. So perhaps you are trying to access
that web service on www.wengert.org with a script in a HTML document
loaded from another server and then simply get no access.

Wayne Wengert

Marttin;

Thanks for the response. I think I need to do some studying to get an
understanding of all the items you mentioned.

Wayne