Trying to lean how to leave tables in the dust.

Richard

Hi Guys,
I just built this page using my old method of using tables for lay
out. Here's the link
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/surge42/
Ultimatley I'd like to kill the need to use the centered nested table
for the text layout. I was hoping to use W3C CSS instead.
Can you help me by recreating the html so that CSS creates the layout?
I've tried with DW MX 04 but have had little luck pullin it off.

Quite simple actually for that little design.

"greybox" is the grey background you show. Style it as desired.
"insidebox" is the text area. Here, you might want to learn how to center a
division properly.
Otherwise, you'd have to rely on something like position:relative.
"shadow" is that little area below the text to give it the 3d look.

Once you learn the basics of styling and positioning divisions, tables are
history.

Barbara de Zoete

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/surge42/

Can you help me by recreating the html so that CSS creates the layout?

Fully depends on what html or xhtml version you go for. Start with the common
structure, use correct markup, meaningful and semantic where possible. Don't
forget the <!DOCTYPE>.
If done, it might look like:

<head>
<title>WRONG CSS</title>
</head>
<h1>Primary Header</h1>

text website text text text website text text text website text text text
website text text text website text text text website text text text website
text text text website text text text website text</p>

<h2>Smaller Secondary Header</h2>

text website text text text website text text text website text text text
website text text text website text text text website text text text website
text text text website text text text website text</p>

<ul>
<li>bullet point one</li>
<li>bullet point two</li>
<li>bullet point three</li>
</ul>

For CSS: use whatever is there. All the elements can be styled, even html and
body. Perhaps you might want to insert one more div or so, to wrap up a certain
section, but keep your markup as simple as possible.
I've tried with DW MX 04 but have had little luck pullin it off.

Then don't use that program. :) Try _understand_ what markup you need for the
content you are about to publish. Try some text editor that gives you
highlighting of the tags and start with that.

And I saw this one post recently again (like yesterday)
by Toby Inkster. Read it to understand it. It is sound and solid advise.

Richard

Hi Guys,
I just built this page using my old method of using tables for lay
out. Here's the link
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/surge42/
Ultimatley I'd like to kill the need to use the centered nested table
for the text layout. I was hoping to use W3C CSS instead.
Can you help me by recreating the html so that CSS creates the layout?
I've tried with DW MX 04 but have had little luck pullin it off.

I just tossed this little diddy together in a few minutes.
Copy and paste to your editor.
Look familiar?
I threw in <center> only to make things easier. It really shouldn't be used
though.
There are ways of centering as you will learn.

<center>
<h2 style="background:#8bb">Primary header</h2>
text text website text text text website text text text website text text
text website text text text website text text text website text text text
website text text text website text text text website text text text website
text text text website text text text website text
<h3 style="background:#FFF;">Secondary header</h3>
text text website text text text website text text text website text text
text website text text text website text text text website text text text
website text text text website text text text website text text text website
text text text website text text text website text.
<ul>
<li>item 1</li>
<li>item 2</li>
<li>item 3</li>
</ul>

</center>

Barbara de Zoete

I just tossed this little diddy together in a few minutes.
Copy and paste to your editor.

To OP, please don't! Don't take RtS serious for anything.
<ul>
<li>item 1</li>
<li>item 2</li>
<li>item 3</li>
</ul>

If you know about the difference between block level elements and inline
elements, you know that especially the above is a complete desaster. As soon as
the paragraph said:

This is a beauty too. :-( And the use of <center> needs no encouragement. You
can do without perfectly.

Go to <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/_test/scott_from_pa.html>. You'll find
a page there that simulates much of the effects you want. Stylesheet in the page.
Clean markup, valid HTML4.01 Strict, valid CSS2.1, just one class needed. Play
around with it. Learn from it.

Barbara de Zoete

Quite simple actually for that little design.

"greybox" is the grey background you show. Style it as desired.
"insidebox" is the text area. Here, you might want to learn how to center a
division properly.
Otherwise, you'd have to rely on something like position:relative.
"shadow" is that little area below the text to give it the 3d look.

Damn, you're a fool. Nothing like this is needed at all. Why do you always make
thing over complicated? Why, why, why! See what you have done? Now you've
planted your sick ideas in some innocent mind.

========
To all noobs out there: do not ever take RtS seriously. Don't listen to him.
Better yet, just kf him now. Immediately.
========

Scott_From_PA

Hi Guys,
I just built this page using my old method of using tables for lay
out. Here's the link
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/surge42/

Ultimatley I'd like to kill the need to use the centered nested table
for the text layout. I was hoping to use W3C CSS instead.

Can you help me by recreating the html so that CSS creates the layout?

I've tried with DW MX 04 but have had little luck pullin it off.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Scott_From_PA said:
please stay on message
Thanks

You must be new, and don't know Richard. Do not believe any of his
advice. It's always wrong.

He's alternately known as RtS for Richard the Stupid. Google if you
don't believe this.

Barbara de Zoete

No you didn't, liar. You fscking stole it from Barbara, and then ruined it.

Holy crap. If you persist in stealing other people's work, couldn't you at
least steal it from *someplace other than the same thread*?

ROFL

Scott_From_PA

Richard,
Your the man!
Thanks for the help

[...]

Then kindly learn how to properly communicate your desires.
I was following what you had shown on the linked page.
I also stated clearly that use of <center> should be avoided.
Learn CSS and do it yourself.

Richard

Richard wrote:
No you didn't, liar. You fscking stole it from Barbara, and then
ruined it.

I have no idea where she has posted anything similar.
It's not stealing simply because two people use the same code.
That's why it's called "public domain".

Holy crap. If you persist in stealing other people's work, couldn't
you at least steal it from *someplace other than the same thread*?

Oh, and: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=diddy

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Richard said:
I have no idea where she has posted anything similar.

Similar?

text text website text text text website text text text website
etc ...

There can be no *possible coincidence* that she posted this sample
content, and 45 minutes later you posted the *exact* same content,
even the *exact* number of 48 words!
It's not stealing simply because two people use the same code.
That's why it's called "public domain".

No, but it is stealing when you copy the content. Word for word.

Mr Bean

Scott_From_PA said:
Hi Guys,
I just built this page using my old method of using tables for lay
out. Here's the link
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/surge42/

Ultimatley I'd like to kill the need to use the centered nested table
for the text layout. I was hoping to use W3C CSS instead.

Can you help me by recreating the html so that CSS creates the layout?

I've tried with DW MX 04 but have had little luck pullin it off.

On your page you wrote...

" Barbara from alt.html told me about a very interesting websie that
takes your online tabled layout and convert it into compliant HTML4.01
Strict, with valid CSS2.1"

Can you supply a link?

TIA