Trying to locate a standard XML schema

trek

Good evening,

I am trying to locate a standard (commonly accepted) XML schema for
managing documents. What want to know is if someone has already
created an XML schema for describing the pertinent data about a
journal article (title, author(s), journal name, publication date,
etc).

If anyone can help me out here, I'd really appreciate it. You can
email me at trekcelt @ yahoo.com.

Thanks.

-trek

Johannes Koch

trek said:
Good evening,

I am trying to locate a standard (commonly accepted) XML schema for
managing documents. What want to know is if someone has already
created an XML schema for describing the pertinent data about a
journal article (title, author(s), journal name, publication date,
etc).

Have a look at PRISM.

Arto V. Viitanen

trek> Good evening, I am trying to locate a standard (commonly accepted) XML
trek> schema for managing documents. What want to know is if someone has
trek> already created an XML schema for describing the pertinent data about
trek> a journal article (title, author(s), journal name, publication date,
trek> etc).

Docbook has a XSD version also. Check http://www.docbook.org for more
information.

Andy Dingley

I am trying to locate a standard (commonly accepted) XML schema for
managing documents.

There isn't one (yes, this is rather a poor situation).

What you should do depends very much on your market and your target
audience. If you're managing "documents", then you'll find it useful
to look at DocBook.

If you're managing metadata about documents, then you might want to
use either PRISM or Dublin Core, depending on who is going to be
reading this. DC isn't a standard on its own, so it'll also need some
other questions about how to represent and transport it to be
answered.

For rich-media "documents", you might find MPEG-7 worth a look.

If you're dealing with academic refererences and citations, then
things are extemely vague. There just isn't a good and widely agreed
standard here. Chances are that XML isn't adequate anyway and you get
pushed into RDF & ontologies. You might find looking at EndNote
useful though.

Peter Flynn

trek said:
Good evening,

I am trying to locate a standard (commonly accepted) XML schema for
managing documents. What want to know is if someone has already
created an XML schema for describing the pertinent data about a
journal article (title, author(s), journal name, publication date,
etc).

Dozens, going back years. But they are almost all DTDs, not Schemas.
Ask any publisher, or read Chapter 2 of my book "Understanding SGML
and XML Tools" (Kluwer, 1998) which explains several of the common
ones in detail.

As Arto posted, DocBook is one popular choice for articles about
Computer Science topics. Many publishers still use the AAP DTDs,
and the ISO 12083 Article DTD which descended from them. Other
publishers have their own (notably Elsevier and Kluwer), and it's
possible to use the TEI Lite DTD for articles in the Humanities.
At the XML Conference last month I heard of a new set of DTDs just
developed, but I don't know if the authors have released them yet.

The nice thing about standards is there are so many to choose from.

///Peter