trying to make invisible link still function

alice

I'm attempting to create a link that is invisible to the user (there
is a background image that contains a letter in a logo which appears
to the user as the link) but will still be clickable. I have made it a
list item so that it can also act as drop down menu on hover, and
I've gotten this part to work even with the visibility set to hidden.
But I also want an onClick function, and I'm finding that this only
works when the item is visible.
Here is was I have for this
text text text.</p>'); return false">A</a>

Is there any way to do this?

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed alice <[email protected]>
writing in @u36g2000prf.googlegroups.com:
I'm attempting to create a link that is invisible to the user (there
is a background image that contains a letter in a logo which appears
to the user as the link) but will still be clickable. I have made it a
list item so that it can also act as drop down menu on hover, and
I've gotten this part to work even with the visibility set to hidden.
But I also want an onClick function, and I'm finding that this only
works when the item is visible.
Here is was I have for this
text text text.</p>'); return false">A</a>

Is there any way to do this?

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www/links.html

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit alice:

Indeed, and much more useful than trying to break your page.

By the way, it's relevant stuff, more relevant than a fullquote (quoting
a person's entire message while you only comment on one line).
but upon skimming thought it I don't see
anything about how to make a link invisible.

That's because such an operation both useless and trivial, and it surely
does not help links to be links.
Is there anyone who can
help me to answer my question?

If you are dissatisfied with the service you get from the group, please
ask for a refund.

alice

Yes, I would like a refund please. Whenever I post on this group
trying to get an answer, I just get rants and opinions which never
help.

Scripsit alice:

Indeed, and much more useful than trying to break your page.

By the way, it's relevant stuff, more relevant than a fullquote (quoting
a person's entire message while you only comment on one line).
but upon skimming thought it I don't see
anything about how to make a link invisible.

That's because such an operation both useless and trivial, and it surely
does not help links to be links.
Is there anyone who can
help me to answer my question?

If you are dissatisfied with the service you get from the group, please
ask for a refund.

alice

It kind of sounds like the difficulty is a javascript one.  Perhaps your
j/s is at fault?  More info at comp.lang.javascript.

Btw just in case, links should be inline elements and a url helps
troubleshooting immensely.

--
Neredbojiashttp://www.neredbojias.net/
Great sights and sounds- Hide quoted text -

Do I need to do something further to define it as an inline element?

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed alice <[email protected]>
writing in (e-mail address removed):
Yes, I would like a refund please. Whenever I post on this group
trying to get an answer, I just get rants and opinions which never
help.

Welcome to Usenet. Usenet is for discussion of topics, not a 24/7 help
desk. If you happen to find an answer more power to you.

dorayme

Adrienne Boswell said:
Gazing into my crystal ball I observed alice <[email protected]>
writing in (e-mail address removed):

Welcome to Usenet. Usenet is for discussion of topics, not a 24/7 help
desk. If you happen to find an answer more power to you.

Ah but it is a fair enough thing to want some assurance. I sympathise
with all posters in this regard and wish now to announce a new insurance
assurance scheme that I have launched to compensate for reasonable
dissatisfaction with answers in this medium.

Apply to get the SPECIAL INTRODUCTORY insurance for a WHOLE YEAR for the
small fee of $US5 per month. That's $US60. Ask for a year's subscription
to dorayme's USENET ASSURANCE INSURANCE. Guaranteed monetary
compensation for every reasonable dissatisfaction. Hurtful filthy
language can pay big, belittling by both named individuals and
disgusting cowards are all covered.

This offer will NOT last. All sensitive folk, here is your big chance to
get justice.

Raymond SCHMIT

Setting opacity: 0 instead of visibility: hidden on the A works in
Firefox and Opera: i.e. you can't see it but can click on it.

Opacity is CSS 3 but more widely supported than bits of CSS 2.1.

That's the better answer .. not easy to click on an invisible object
:)
And WHY a hidden object should be clickable ?

I did not see the real interest of doing this sort of thing.

You can make also an image of just one pixel - visible - not "opacity
0" clickable ....but you need a good mouse to find this pixel :)

Disco Octopus

I'm attempting to create a link that is invisible to the user (there
is a background image that contains a letter in a logo which appears
to the user as the link) but will still be clickable. I have made it a
list item so that it can also act as drop down menu on hover, and
I've gotten this part to work even with the visibility set to hidden.
But I also want an onClick function, and I'm finding that this only
works when the item is visible.
Here is was I have for this
text text text.</p>'); return false">A</a>

Is there any way to do this?

I am not 100% sure on what you want to do, but perhaps you could
create a link using spaces (&nbsp;) instead of text, or text with same
colour as background, or a gif image which is completely transparent?

I am sure you have your valid reasons, but curiosity pushes and
prompts me to ask you why you want this?

Allodoxaphobia

I am not 100% sure on what you want to do, but perhaps you could
create a link using spaces (&nbsp;) instead of text, or text with same
colour as background, or a gif image which is completely transparent?

I am sure you have your valid reasons, but curiosity pushes and
prompts me to ask you why you want this?

It's probably something like "functionality through obscurity". :)

Jonesy