Trying to open a video from HTML5.

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Mr. X., Dec 15, 2012.

  1. Mr. X.

    Mr. X. Guest

    Hello,
    I am using HTML5 to test a code:
    ===========================
    <!doctype html>
    <head>
    </head>
    <video src="abc.mp4" type="video/mp4" width="640" height="360">Your

    I don't get any message "your browser doesn't support ..." - Nothing
    (If I do : <video ... poster = "myposter.png" - I can see the poster, but no
    video).
    Also I need just a mp4.
    I am using:
    Windows 7 premium, 64 bits.
    Google chrome version 23.0.1271.97
    also
    Windows Explorer 9, version 9.0.8112.16421, update version 9.0.12 KB2761465.

    On each browsers, I cannot run the mp4 (I want to download some mp4 from
    internet to check out ...) not mp4, not standard video:
    C:\Users\Public\Videos\Sample Videos\Wildlife.wmv.

    What may be the reason I cannot see any video?

    Thanks :)
    Mr. X., Dec 15, 2012

  2. Mr. X.

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Dec 15, 10:08 am, "Mr. X." <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I am using HTML5 to test a code:
    > ===========================
    > <!doctype html>
    > <head>
    > </head>
    >         <video src="abc.mp4" type="video/mp4" width="640" height="360">Your
    >
    > I don't get any message "your browser doesn't support ..." - Nothing
    > (If I do : <video ... poster = "myposter.png" - I can see the poster, but no
    > video).
    > Also I need just a mp4.
    > I am using:
    > Windows 7 premium, 64 bits.
    > Google chrome version 23.0.1271.97
    > also
    > Windows Explorer 9, version 9.0.8112.16421, update version 9.0.12 KB2761465.
    >
    > On each browsers, I cannot run the mp4 (I want to download some mp4 from
    > internet to check out ...) not mp4, not standard video:
    > C:\Users\Public\Videos\Sample Videos\Wildlife.wmv.
    >
    > What may be the reason I cannot see any video?

    First, a browser capable of html5 has a "house video player" so that
    no external video player has to be installed. Unfortunately the
    different browser providers could not agree on a standard video
    format, so you have to provide the video in multiple formats if you
    want most modern html5 capable browsers to play it. Some formats used
    by html5 house video players include mp4, ogv, mov, etc. To the
    surprise of some, recent Microsoft browsers support only MP4 video in
    the html5 mode and not wmv. If you have a wmv video that you want to
    play on a html5 browser using the house video player, you must convert
    it to formats that html5 house video players will support. Actually,
    html5 will also support the old method of using installed video
    players using the usual video codes for these with slight
    modification.

    Go to my page at http://www.cwdjr.net/video7/RoscoeGreetings.php and
    click on the the htm5 button at the top. At least on recent Firefox
    browsers, right click on the playing video and select "this frame" and
    then select "view frame source". Actually no frames are used, but
    Firefox thinks the code is a frame which it is not. The code is in
    xhtml5 which can be used instead of plain html5 to retain the
    advantages of xml support which plain html5 does not. There is a
    discussion of this at theW3C.

    The 3 videos used for html5 house player support are:

    http://www.cwdjr.net/video7/Roscoe.ogv

    http://www.cwdjr.net/video7/RoscoeH.mov

    http://www.cwdjr.net/video7/Roscoe.mp4

    You may use these for testing if you do not hot link to them for your
    active web pages for the general public. Roscoe, the parrot, claims
    rights for the videos I made of him. He says he will bite and scratch
    anyone who hot links to his videos for a very active web page. However
    he is easily bribed with a bag of raw peanuts in the shell. If you try
    to give him roasted peanuts, he will spit them out at you :) .

    Html5 still is a moving target. Not all html5 capable browsers support
    many features, so you still need to check a html5 page on several
    browsers to make certain that it works on all browsers of interest to
    you.
    cwdjrxyz, Dec 15, 2012