Trying to set a cookie onto self.parent.window.opener

Phil Powell

I thought this would work but it seems to not work neither in Netscape
nor in IE:

Code:
<script type="text/javascript">
<!--

// OBTAINED FROM http://www.javascripter.net/faq/settinga.htm

// NOTE THAT IF YOU SET days TO -1 THE COOKIE WILL BE SET TO YESTERDAY
AND THUS EXPIRE
function setCookie(name, value, days) {
var today = new Date();
var expire = new Date();
if (days == null || isNaN(days) || days == 0) days = 1;
if (days >= 1 || days < 0) expire.setTime(today.getTime() + 3600000 *
24 * days);
document.cookie = name + '=' + escape(value) + ';expires=' +
expire.toGMTString();
}

setCookie('val_chat', '**DELETE**', -1);
self.parent.window.opener.document.writeln(document.cookie); //
DELETE PARENT WINDOW'S COOKIE
self.parent.window.opener.location.href = 'chat.jsp';
self.parent.close();
//-->
</script>
<noscript><!-- NO EQUIVALENT --></noscript>

However, instead of the expired cookie being set into the frame's
parent's window.opener document, nothing is set, however, redirection
takes place but incorrectly since the cookie's instance still exists
when the window.opener is refreshed.

So how have you guys done this correctly where I have gone wrong?

Thanx
Phil

marss

self.parent.window.opener.document.writeln(document.cookie); //
DELETE PARENT WINDOW'S COOKIE

This code write something to parent window document, but not operate
with its cookie.
Try to add extra parameter to the function "setCookie":
function setCookie(name, value, days, docCookie)

Change:To:
docCookie.cookie = name + '=' + escape(value) + ';expires='
+expire.toGMTString();

And then:
setCookie('val_chat', '**DELETE**', -1,
self.parent.window.opener.document);

Maybe it works, but I don't test.

Phil Powell

I'm sorry I do not understand this. :(

Phil

To:

Phil said:
I thought this would work but it seems to not work neither in Netscape
nor in IE:

Code:
<script type="text/javascript">
<!--

// OBTAINED FROM http://www.javascripter.net/faq/settinga.htm

// NOTE THAT IF YOU SET days TO -1 THE COOKIE WILL BE SET TO YESTERDAY
AND THUS EXPIRE
function setCookie(name, value, days) {[/QUOTE]

Add extra parameter docCookie:
function setCookie(name, value, days, docCookie) {

[QUOTE]
var today = new Date();
var expire = new Date();
if (days == null || isNaN(days) || days == 0) days = 1;
if (days >= 1 || days < 0) expire.setTime(today.getTime() + 3600000 *
24 * days);
document.cookie = name + '=' + escape(value) + ';expires=' +
expire.toGMTString();[/QUOTE]

Set desired value to docCookie:
docCookie = name + '=' + escape(value) + ';expires=' +
expire.toGMTString();

[QUOTE]
}

setCookie('val_chat', '**DELETE**', -1);[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I was wrong here, last parameter must be
self.parent.window.opener.document.cookie
(not self.parent.window.opener.document)

setCookie('val_chat', '**DELETE**', -1,
self.parent.window.opener.document.cookie);
[QUOTE]
self.parent.window.opener.document.writeln(document.cookie); //[/QUOTE]

Function writeln() writes content of document.cookie to
self.parent.window.opener.document but not set its cookie. To set
cookie of self.parent.window.opener.document you should do it directly:
self.parent.window.opener.document.cookie="...". I guess this line of
code is wrong.
[QUOTE]
DELETE PARENT WINDOW'S COOKIE
self.parent.window.opener.location.href = 'chat.jsp';
self.parent.close();[/QUOTE]

I don't understand what are you going to achieve with this code and
can't comment it.
Sorry for my English
[QUOTE]
//-->
</script>
<noscript><!-- NO EQUIVALENT --></noscript>

However, instead of the expired cookie being set into the frame's
parent's window.opener document, nothing is set, however, redirection
takes place but incorrectly since the cookie's instance still exists
when the window.opener is refreshed.

So how have you guys done this correctly where I have gone wrong?

Thanx
Phil

Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article <[email protected]>
, dated Mon, 6 Feb 2006 00:50:21 remote, seen in
news:comp.lang.javascript said:
I thought this would work but it seems to not work neither in Netscape
nor in IE:

Code:
<script type="text/javascript">
<!--

// OBTAINED FROM http://www.javascripter.net/faq/settinga.htm[/QUOTE]

Clearly a site to be avoided.

[QUOTE]
// NOTE THAT IF YOU SET days TO -1 THE COOKIE WILL BE SET TO YESTERDAY
AND THUS EXPIRE
function setCookie(name, value, days) {
var today = new Date();
var expire = new Date();
if (days == null || isNaN(days) || days == 0) days = 1;
if (days >= 1 || days < 0) expire.setTime(today.getTime() + 3600000 *
24 * days);
document.cookie = name + '=' + escape(value) + ';expires=' +
expire.toGMTString();
}[/QUOTE]

There's no need to create two Date Objects just to get an Object set to
24 hours ahead of now.

To get a Date Object whose value does not matter, use   new Date(0)
which is quicker.  To get a new Date Object E with the same value as a
Date Object D, use   E = new Date(+D)  .

3600000 * 24 is better written as 864e5.

Code posted should be executable as posted.  Do not allow your posting
agent to wrap lines.

You can advance 24 hours, but the description is in terms of days.
Civil days do not always have 24 hours; if you describe the expiry in
days, your users may occasionally get surprised.

Use             var T = new Date() ; T.setDate(T.getDate()+1)

Your code seems to assume that the value of days is integer, without
ensuring that.
[QUOTE]
So how have you guys done this correctly where I have gone wrong?[/QUOTE]

Your code no doubt does exactly what it should do.  You have failed to
say what you want it to do.

It seems that days is read from a user control.  If you check the
control with a RegExp you can assure a good value; consider and test

S = control.value
OK = /^[+-]?\d+$/.test(S) // repeat if false?
days = OK ? +S : 1

I suppose that you have checked the incipient cookie string S with, say,
alert(S); probably the error whose consequences you refer to lies
elsewhere.