tuning the GC

shettynitish

I have a problem tuning the jvm for garbage collection. i have refered
the many sites but not able to tune the jvm . can any one pls help me
to tune the jvm for garbage collection.
i am using
java Version 1.5.0

Chris Smith

I have a problem tuning the jvm for garbage collection. i have refered
the many sites but not able to tune the jvm . can any one pls help me
to tune the jvm for garbage collection.
i am using
java Version 1.5.0

Do you have a specific question?

shettynitish

Chris said:
Do you have a specific question?

hi
Chris Smith
I am working on web application it was giving me
java heap space error so i increased the heap space in tomcat . but
wat i observed is it is not a correct solution for it ,this error is
due to garbage collection and i am not getting a correct way to tune
the jvm.
my system is uniprocessor with 1GB RAM
i want some good algorithm and the way they can be included.
can u help me out.

Ingo R. Homann

Hi,

I suppose, that has nothing to do with the GC. I think, you have a
memory leak! I guess you have to do more that just tune on some
VM-parameters - review your code!

Ciao,
Ingo

Thomas Schodt

I am working on web application it was giving me
java heap space error so i increased the heap space in tomcat . but
wat i observed is it is not a correct solution for it ,this error is
due to garbage collection and i am not getting a correct way to tune
the jvm.
my system is uniprocessor with 1GB RAM
i want some good algorithm and the way they can be included.
can u help me out.

You could be running out of perm space.

shettynitish

but how do i check it is memory leak or gc problem . well i was trying
to configure jconsole to my web application but it is not working out,
i am not able to configure it .
the reasone i conclude to tune gc is that the throughput have
decreased after its heap size is increased.
therfore i have to decrease heap size for which i have to tune gc.
present heap size is -Xms256m -Xmx512m

Ingo R. Homann

Hi,

but how do i check it is memory leak or gc problem .

Well, I never heard that suns GC is buggy in the way that it produces
memory leaks.

An idea would be to change to another JVM-implementation. If the error
occurs there as well (I bet so), then chances are good that it is a
programming error which produces memory leaks.

Ciao,
Ingo

Patricia Shanahan

but how do i check it is memory leak or gc problem . well i was trying
to configure jconsole to my web application but it is not working out,
i am not able to configure it .
the reasone i conclude to tune gc is that the throughput have
decreased after its heap size is increased.
therfore i have to decrease heap size for which i have to tune gc.
present heap size is -Xms256m -Xmx512m

Check whether you are causing memory thrashing with the larger heap
size. That can happen if the program is actively using more than the
available physical memory. In a thrashing state the disk I/O rate is
very high, and the program's CPU utilization drops to about 2%.

If you do have a memory leak in your program, the heap size parameter
just lets you choose how to fail, running out of heap space or thrashing.

Patricia