    i am using
    java Version 1.5.0
    , Jul 10, 2006

  2. Chris Smith Guest

    <> wrote:
    > I have a problem tuning the jvm for garbage collection. i have refered
    > the many sites but not able to tune the jvm . can any one pls help me
    > to tune the jvm for garbage collection.
    > i am using
    > java Version 1.5.0

    Do you have a specific question?

    --
    Chris Smith - Lead Software Developer / Technical Trainer
    MindIQ Corporation
    Chris Smith, Jul 10, 2006

    Chris Smith wrote:
    > <> wrote:
    > > I have a problem tuning the jvm for garbage collection. i have refered
    > > the many sites but not able to tune the jvm . can any one pls help me
    > > to tune the jvm for garbage collection.
    > > i am using
    > > java Version 1.5.0

    > Do you have a specific question?
    >
    > --
    > Chris Smith - Lead Software Developer / Technical Trainer
    > MindIQ Corporation

    hi
    Chris Smith
    I am working on web application it was giving me
    java heap space error so i increased the heap space in tomcat . but
    wat i observed is it is not a correct solution for it ,this error is
    due to garbage collection and i am not getting a correct way to tune
    the jvm.
    my system is uniprocessor with 1GB RAM
    i want some good algorithm and the way they can be included.
    can u help me out.
    , Jul 10, 2006
  4. Hi,

    I suppose, that has nothing to do with the GC. I think, you have a
    memory leak! I guess you have to do more that just tune on some
    VM-parameters - review your code!

    Ciao,
    Ingo
    Ingo R. Homann, Jul 10, 2006
  5. wrote:
    > I am working on web application it was giving me
    > java heap space error so i increased the heap space in tomcat . but
    > wat i observed is it is not a correct solution for it ,this error is
    > due to garbage collection and i am not getting a correct way to tune
    > the jvm.
    > my system is uniprocessor with 1GB RAM
    > i want some good algorithm and the way they can be included.
    > can u help me out.

    You could be running out of perm space.
    Thomas Schodt, Jul 10, 2006

    but how do i check it is memory leak or gc problem . well i was trying
    to configure jconsole to my web application but it is not working out,
    i am not able to configure it .
    the reasone i conclude to tune gc is that the throughput have
    decreased after its heap size is increased.
    therfore i have to decrease heap size for which i have to tune gc.
    present heap size is -Xms256m -Xmx512m
    , Jul 10, 2006
  7. Hi,

    wrote:
    > but how do i check it is memory leak or gc problem .

    Well, I never heard that suns GC is buggy in the way that it produces
    memory leaks.

    An idea would be to change to another JVM-implementation. If the error
    occurs there as well (I bet so), then chances are good that it is a
    programming error which produces memory leaks.

    Ciao,
    Ingo
    Ingo R. Homann, Jul 10, 2006
  8. wrote:
    > but how do i check it is memory leak or gc problem . well i was trying
    > to configure jconsole to my web application but it is not working out,
    > i am not able to configure it .
    > the reasone i conclude to tune gc is that the throughput have
    > decreased after its heap size is increased.
    > therfore i have to decrease heap size for which i have to tune gc.
    > present heap size is -Xms256m -Xmx512m

    Check whether you are causing memory thrashing with the larger heap
    size. That can happen if the program is actively using more than the
    available physical memory. In a thrashing state the disk I/O rate is
    very high, and the program's CPU utilization drops to about 2%.

    If you do have a memory leak in your program, the heap size parameter
    just lets you choose how to fail, running out of heap space or thrashing.

    Patricia
    Patricia Shanahan, Jul 10, 2006