Turn off Java Plug-in applet tag support

Discussion in 'Java' started by luke@webber.com.au, Nov 9, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I'm presently working on a project which involves switching a bunch of
    applets from the old M$ Java runtime to Sun's 1.5 plug-in. We want to
    be able to offer the users the chance to switch from the "old" applet
    support to "new" applets and (and this is the hitch) back again, at
    will, in case of problems.

    So far, I have everything working beautifully, but I've struck a hitch.
    If the user installs the JRE from the Sun site, it will by default turn
    on applet tag support, which means that they are then stuck with the
    Sun JRE no matter what until somebody switches it off. As we don't
    really want the headache of having to explain to the users how this is
    done, and as many of them may not even have local admin rights, I would
    like to find a way of turning off applet tag support programmatically
    from a signed Java applet.

    The problem? The flag I need to hit is stored in the registry, not in
    system preferences where (IMO) it should be. In
    HKLM\Software\JavaSoft\Java Plug-in\(version)\UseJava2IExplorer.

    Can anybody please suggest some way that I can reset this baby? Or am I
    boned?

    Many thanks for any and all suggestions,
    Luke

    , Nov 9, 2006

  2. Dag Sunde Guest

    wrote:
    > I'm presently working on a project which involves switching a bunch of
    > applets from the old M$ Java runtime to Sun's 1.5 plug-in. We want to
    > be able to offer the users the chance to switch from the "old" applet
    > support to "new" applets and (and this is the hitch) back again, at
    > will, in case of problems.
    >
    > So far, I have everything working beautifully, but I've struck a
    > hitch. If the user installs the JRE from the Sun site, it will by
    > default turn on applet tag support, which means that they are then
    > stuck with the Sun JRE no matter what until somebody switches it off.
    > As we don't really want the headache of having to explain to the
    > users how this is done, and as many of them may not even have local
    > admin rights, I would like to find a way of turning off applet tag
    > support programmatically from a signed Java applet.
    >
    > The problem? The flag I need to hit is stored in the registry, not in
    > system preferences where (IMO) it should be. In
    > HKLM\Software\JavaSoft\Java Plug-in\(version)\UseJava2IExplorer.
    >
    > Can anybody please suggest some way that I can reset this baby? Or am
    > I boned?

    Have you tried?

    I mean... you have all the "ingredients": A signed applet, a Windows
    machine with a browser, and a registry flag.

    Write a test applet, and try studing this:
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/registry.html to get an idea or two...

    --
    Dag.

    Dag Sunde, Nov 10, 2006