Tutorial for beginners

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Additya, Sep 25, 2009.

  1. Additya

    Additya Guest

    Additya, Sep 25, 2009

  2. Additya wrote again:
    > This is for all who are new to JavaScript programming I have across a
    > new tutorial [...]

    The current discussion, which you may have missed, reveals that this
    tutorial must be strongly recommended against:
    <news:> pp.

    Then again, you may be just another spammer instead.

    PointedEars
    will want to steal it.)

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Sep 25, 2009

  3. Additya

    SAM Guest

    Le 9/25/09 9:59 PM, Additya a écrit :
    > Hello ,
    > This is for all who are new to JavaScript programming I have across a
    > new tutorial while surfing and found useful for beginners I have just
    > read it from here , sharing it with you and hopes you like reading it.
    > http://www.ezdia.com/Javascript_Tutorial/Content.do?id=653

    Interesting and very progressive.

    but ... in a simple page ...
    Scripts (21 files) 148 Ko (768 Ko uncompressed)
    :-(

    --
    sm

    SAM, Sep 25, 2009
  4. Additya

    RobG Guest

    On Sep 26, 7:19 am, SAM <>
    wrote:
    > Le 9/25/09 9:59 PM, Additya a écrit :
    >
    > > Hello ,
    > > This is for all who are new to JavaScript programming I have across a
    > > new tutorial while surfing and found useful for beginners I have just
    > > read it from here , sharing it with you and hopes you like reading it.
    > >http://www.ezdia.com/Javascript_Tutorial/Content.do?id=653

    > Interesting and very progressive.

    Hardly, it is overly simplistic and seems to have been written by
    someone with a very limited knowledge of javascript. It doesn't
    explain some fundamental concepts that should (such as why variables
    should be declared) and is utterly wrong about others:

    "An object in Javascript comprises of two things

    "1. A collection of properties (variables) and
    "2. Methods (functions) - all classed under a single name."

    > but ... in a simple page ...
    > Scripts (21 files)      148 Ko (768 Ko uncompressed)

    Yes, and global variables like:

    var jsonString = eval({"Education":{"Engineering": ...

    Gratuitous use of eval should tell you something about the author.

    --
    Rob

    RobG, Sep 26, 2009
  5. Additya

    SAM Guest

    Le 9/26/09 6:18 AM, RobG a écrit :
    > On Sep 26, 7:19 am, SAM <>
    > wrote:
    >> Le 9/25/09 9:59 PM, Additya a écrit :
    >>
    >>> Hello ,
    >>> This is for all who are new to JavaScript programming I have across a
    >>> new tutorial while surfing and found useful for beginners I have just
    >>> read it from here , sharing it with you and hopes you like reading it.
    >>> http://www.ezdia.com/Javascript_Tutorial/Content.do?id=653

    >> Interesting and very progressive.

    > Hardly, it is overly simplistic and seems to have been written by
    > someone with a very limited knowledge of javascript. It doesn't

    That's why it's interesting : understandable by very newbie

    > explain some fundamental concepts that should (such as why variables
    > should be declared) and is utterly wrong about others:

    Sure, as many other tutorials, some errors can be seen.
    Hope that remarks here could be of some utility.

    > "An object in Javascript comprises of two things
    >
    > "1. A collection of properties (variables) and
    > "2. Methods (functions) - all classed under a single name."

    It's a tuto, brief, with few pages, not a thousands pages book

    I think I prefer that site that outperforms a basic tutorial :
    <http://selfhtml.org/> (only in German and in big part in French)

    --
    sm

    SAM, Sep 26, 2009
  6. On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 at 14:57:10, in comp.lang.javascript, SAM wrote:

    <snip>
    >Sure, as many other tutorials, some errors can be seen.
    >Hope that remarks here could be of some utility.

    <snip>

    No, it's rubbish. Nearly every topic it covers is misleading. The
    beginner will end up being seriously, perhaps permanently, confused
    about the language and how to use it.

    John
    --
    John Harris

    John G Harris, Sep 26, 2009
  7. REPOST:

    In comp.lang.javascript message <9d491389-95a8-44aa-b00c-b4e42b63705d
    @v37g2000prg.googlegroups.com>, Fri, 25 Sep 2009 12:59:50, Additya
    <> posted:
    >Hello ,
    >This is for all who are new to JavaScript programming I have across a
    >new tutorial while surfing and found useful for beginners I have just
    >read it from here , sharing it with you and hopes you like reading it.
    >http://www.ezdia.com/Javascript_Tutorial/Content.do?id=653

    You should grammar check your "English" before posting; or, for
    errors to be forgivable, indicate that you are posting as a non-
    anglophone.

    Never trust an anonymous site. Reputable sites all give a clear
    indication of the person or organisation responsible.

    A site on JavaScript should always spell JavaScript using the letters
    j a v a s c r i p t in that order, and with a consistent case
    convention.

    When using setFullYear, it is best to enter all eleven letters.

    One assumes, from the "English" that the author is Russian, Indian,
    or similar; or an ill-educated anglophone.

    Advising alteration of the system clock is DANGEROUS in a multi-
    processing system. And your code is disrespective of Jewish and
    Muslim readers. A tutorial page on Date Objects really should
    mention .valueOf() and what it gives.

    An intelligent author of a site written in a language which is not
    well-known to him/her will display pages in a browser, copy'n'paste
    into a word processor, and so get the spelling and grammar checked.

    In an international medium, a line like
    expires=07/08/2008 00:00:00";
    needs further explanation; FFF is a minority notation.

    Method toGMTString() is deprecated.

    You have "The toUppercase() is a method of the String object that
    converts String to uppercase." which is untrue - presumably copied
    from an American source.

    Dr J R Stockton, Sep 26, 2009