Tutorial for DB-Frontend with GUI

Al Bogner

Since weeks I am searching the net from time to time how to build a
small MYSQL-Frontend for a simple small database. The last decision
ist not made, but it looks like, that I will learn Python.

The (non-commercial) DB-frontend should run on a Linux-system only
and it would be nice, but not necessary, if the program could be
ported to Mac or Windows later for free.

I found a lot of interesting links like

http://wxpython.org/
http://boa-constructor.sourceforge.net/
http://www.die-offenbachs.de/detlev/eric3.html
http://doc.trolltech.com/3.2/designer-manual-8.html
http://doc.trolltech.com/3.2/sql.html
http://vtcl.sourceforge.net/
http://starship.python.net/crew/mike/src/Spectix/Spectix.html
http://pythoncard.sourceforge.net/

It's hard to decide, which one is the easiest way for for a
python-beginner. How reliable is boa-constructor? 0.2.3-alpha seems
to be not very stable.

So, does anyone know a tutorial/howto/link or whatever how to build
a database client with a GUI? Is there a sample database-fronted
built with python in the web, where one can see what is possible?

All recommendations are welcome!

Al

email9898989

So, does anyone know a tutorial/howto/link or whatever how to build
a database client with a GUI? Is there a sample database-fronted
built with python in the web, where one can see what is possible?

Pythoncard includes a dbBrowser sample. But really you can use any
GUI toolkit with the mysql python module:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mysql-python
http://www.devshed.com/Server_Side/Python/PythonMySQL/print_html
http://www.codespark.net/v2/articles.asp?CategoryID=45

See also SQLObject which might be a nicer way to do the MySQL coding:
http://sqlobject.org/

Al Bogner

Pythoncard includes a dbBrowser sample. But really you can use
any GUI toolkit with the mysql python module:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mysql-python
http://www.devshed.com/Server_Side/Python/PythonMySQL/print_html
http://www.codespark.net/v2/articles.asp?CategoryID=45

See also SQLObject which might be a nicer way to do the MySQL
coding: http://sqlobject.org/

Thank you for your valuable links!

What are the cons of Spectix? Specitx was the only tookit, which
worked immediately with SuSE 8.2.

The installation of boa-constructor-0.2.3 didn't work, also there
were problems with the installation of eric 3.2.

Al