Tutorial for new user?

Matt

I just got my hands on Visual Studio and I want to dive right into
Visual C++. what good websites have good C++ tutorials? Im looking for
a site sorta like htmlprimer.com , something thats easy to follow, laid
out in easy "lessons" etc etc. ok im really tired so im gonna just end
this post now and go to sleep. Thanks everyone!!

John Harrison

Matt said:
I just got my hands on Visual Studio and I want to dive right into Visual
C++. what good websites have good C++ tutorials?

First thing to be aware of is that C++ is a language and Visual C++ is a
compiler and IDE. The two are not the same thing at all, but this group
deals with the C++ language, questions about Visual C++ would be better
asked somewhere like .
Im looking for a site sorta like htmlprimer.com , something thats easy to
follow, laid out in easy "lessons" etc etc. ok im really tired so im
gonna just end this post now and go to sleep. Thanks everyone!!

I think C++ is too complex to be taught by tutorial, I'm not aware of any
that are worth reading.

There is an online book that is often recommended, Thinking in C++ by Bruce
Eckel.

http://mindview.net/Books/TICPP/ThinkingInCPP2e.html

john

Alex Vinokur

Matt said:
I just got my hands on Visual Studio and I want to dive right into
Visual C++. what good websites have good C++ tutorials? Im looking for
a site sorta like htmlprimer.com , something thats easy to follow, laid
out in easy "lessons" etc etc. ok im really tired so im gonna just end
this post now and go to sleep. Thanks everyone!!

C++ Annotations Version by Frank B. Brokken at
http://www.icce.rug.nl/documents/cplusplus/

C/C++ Reference by Nate Kohl at
http://www.cppreference.com/

C++ Quick Reference at
http://www.halpernwightsoftware.com/stdlib-scratch/quickref.html

C/C++ Page by Zhiwei Wang at
http://www.cs.uregina.ca/Dept/manuals/Manuals/7Language/7_18C++/c++.htm

Matt

Matt said:
I just got my hands on Visual Studio and I want to dive right into
Visual C++. what good websites have good C++ tutorials? Im looking for
a site sorta like htmlprimer.com , something thats easy to follow, laid
out in easy "lessons" etc etc. ok im really tired so im gonna just end
this post now and go to sleep. Thanks everyone!!

Thanks to all! I realize its hard to learn programming languages via a
tutorial, im sorta trying to learn VB as well. was just wondering what
sites i can jump into to whet my whistle and learn the basics, so i know
what i mdoing and how im doing it, the rest can come from more advanced
references / sites / etc etc as i hopefully progress in my knowledge.

thanks again

Ioannis Vranos

Matt said:
I just got my hands on Visual Studio and I want to dive right into
Visual C++. what good websites have good C++ tutorials? Im looking for
a site sorta like htmlprimer.com , something thats easy to follow, laid
out in easy "lessons" etc etc. ok im really tired so im gonna just end
this post now and go to sleep. Thanks everyone!!

A nice C++ book for totally newcomers to programming is

"You Can Do It! : A Beginners Introduction to Computer Programming" by
Francis Glassborow

If you have former programming experience, a good one to begin C++ is
"Accelerated C++" by Andrew Koenig, Barbara Moo.

Mike Wahler

Matt said:
Thanks to all! I realize its hard to learn programming languages via a
tutorial, im sorta trying to learn VB as well. was just wondering what
sites i can jump into to whet my whistle and learn the basics,

Get books. Really. The vast majority of the 'information' you'll
find online is simply incorrect. Get books. You'll be glad you did.
I second the recommendation of Francis' "You Can Do It" book (it simply
slipped my mind when I responded before). I'm not in its target audience,
so I don't have a copy, but I did peruse one in a book store, and I feel
it is of high quality. (And a 'bonus', Francis is a regular participant
here.).

-Mike

Sharad Kala

Mike Wahler said:
And a 'bonus', Francis is a regular participant
here.).

Not here. But he is very much active on c.l.c++.moderated and
alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++.

Sharad

Mike Wahler

Sharad Kala said:
Not here. But he is very much active on c.l.c++.moderated and
alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++.

Oops yes, you're right. I visit both here and acllc-c++
regularly, and sometimes lose track of who I 'see' where.

-Mike