    appreciated. Sorry if this is redundant or not the right newsgroup.

    Thanks for reading,
    Sheridan
    Sheridan, Oct 11, 2006

  2. Sheridan

    Darren Kopp Guest

    Anything from Scott Mitchell or Fritz Onion are great. If you are
    getting heavy into ASP.Net then books by Dino Espositio are great as
    well.

    -Darren Kopp

    Darren Kopp, Oct 11, 2006

  3. Have you tried these videos?
    http://www.asp.net/learn/videos/default.aspx?tabid=63#beginners

    Or try the ASP.NET QuickStart tutorials:
    http://quickstarts.asp.net/QuickStartv20/aspnet/Default.aspx

    Chris Fulstow, Oct 11, 2006
  4. Try this one :

    http://msconline.maconstate.edu/tutorials/ASPNET20/default.htm

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ===================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Oct 11, 2006
  5. Sheridan

    Uriah Piddle Guest

    'Asp.Net 2.0 Website Programming Problem-Design-Solution' by Marco Bellinaso
    teaches you by guiding you through a fairly extensive asp 2.0 app. The book
    assumes you have a working knowledge of Asp and C# which I did not have at
    all but I got enough in a week by reading one of the good introductory books
    ('Pro Asp.Net 2.0 in C# 2005' by MacDonald And Szpuszta). When I come to a
    part where I need more help with C#, I just go back to MacDonald And
    Szpuszta and learn some more.

    I come from a VB6 background and was apprehensive at first. I started 2
    months ago and now feel quite confident and at home. The angle of the
    learning curve has been exaggerated. The strength of the Bellinaso book is
    that it forces you to learn how the sample website works as opposed to doing
    excersizes. Another thing is that Bellinaso's design is architecturally
    well-informed so you will learn good design habits as well.
    Uriah Piddle, Oct 11, 2006
  6. Sheridan

    Sheridan Guest

    Juan,
    Thanks to everyone but yes, have tried that tutorial and just can't seem
    to get the 'dataset' reader thing part. I'm sure it's just my lack of
    understanding because it all seems so 'wizard-like' that it confuses me.
    Thanks for the suggestion though.

    Sheridan

    Sheridan, Oct 11, 2006
  7. Sheridan

    Sheridan Guest

    Chris,
    Yes, I have and maybe I'm just approaching it all from another angle.
    What I mean is that I'm sure it's my perspective because everyone else
    in school keeps talking about how great and easy it is (ASP.Net) and I'm
    still finding it incomprehensible.

    I'll give them another go this weekend and thanks again.

    Sheridan

    Sheridan, Oct 11, 2006
  8. Sheridan

    Sheridan Guest

    Uriah,
    Thanks for the book info and tips. I'll see what I can get here at the
    school's bookstore or Amazon.

    Sheridan

    Sheridan, Oct 11, 2006
  9. Sheridan

    Sheridan Guest

    Darren,
    I'm going to give that a search online at Amazon and also the book Uriah
    recommends.

    Thanks for the help/tips,
    Sheridan

    Sheridan, Oct 11, 2006
  10. Sheridan

    tdavisjr Guest

    Sheridan,

    If you really want to learn ASP.NET and how it works, I suggest you stay
    away from the wizards and IDE. Yes, that means Visual Studio or Visual Web
    Developer as well. When I started, I used a simple text editor to learn the
    basics. Once, I got the basics down pack, I graduated to using IDE's since
    they will improve your productivity. Its like trying to drive, if you don't
    know how to even walk. Its possible, but it will take a little more time and
    effort. ASP.NET UnLeashed and Teach yourself ASP.NET in 24 hrs (1st ed) are
    some books to start with.

    tdavisjr, Oct 11, 2006
  11. Sheridan

    Jon Paal Guest

    ditto

    Jon Paal, Oct 11, 2006
  12. Sheridan

    Sheridan Guest

    TDavis Jr. & Jon Pall,
    Thanks. I'm thinking that has been my 'mistake' all along. I'm going to
    order the Teach Yourself book and then see how that goes over. I'll also
    give the ASP.Net Unleased a look.

    Thanks and the advice to use the text editor probably will make a world
    of difference,
    Sheridan

    Sheridan, Oct 11, 2006