Tutorial: Rails + RubyScript2Exe = Executable

Erik Veenstra

I get a lot of emails about packing and distributing Rails
applications with Tar2RubyScript and RubyScript2Exe. It
obviously wasn't easy to come up with the steps that have to be
taken to transform a Rails application into a standalone
application. Since I never built a Rails application myself, I
wasn't even sure if it was possible at all. That's why I
decided to write a little tutorial:

http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/distributingrubyapplications/rails.html

Propositions for enhancements are welcome...

gegroet,
Erik V. - http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/

Erik Veenstra

I get a lot of emails about packing and distributing Rails
applications with Tar2RubyScript and RubyScript2Exe. It
obviously wasn't easy to come up with the steps that have to
be taken to transform a Rails application into a standalone
application. Since I never built a Rails application myself,
I wasn't even sure if it was possible at all. That's why I
decided to write a little tutorial:

http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/distributingrubyapplications/rails.html

I've updated the document. It's now based on Windows instead of
Linux. Might be easier to read and understand for most of us.

Propositions for enhancements are still welcome...

gegroet,
Erik V. - http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/

James Britt

Erik said:
I've updated the document. It's now based on Windows instead of
Linux. Might be easier to read and understand for most of us.

RubyScript2Exe is quite tasty. I managed, with minor difficulty, to
package up a standalone Og/Nitro app as well.

James

Josh Knowles

------=_Part_4781_9644895.1128642714126

I would love to see an example of someone taking this exe and adding the
hooks so it can be registered as a windows service. If anyone has already
done this please pass along the info, if not I will give it a shot this
weekend and report back.

Josh

RubyScript2Exe is quite tasty. I managed, with minor difficulty, to
package up a standalone Og/Nitro app as well.

James

------=_Part_4781_9644895.1128642714126--

Phil Tomson

I've updated the document. It's now based on Windows instead of
Linux. Might be easier to read and understand for most of us.

Propositions for enhancements are still welcome...

Could you also make the Linux version of the document available?

(also, will it work on OS X?)

Phil

Erik Veenstra

http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/distributingrubyapplications/rails.html
Could you also make the Linux version of the document
available?

Sorry, I've overwritten the Linux version with the Windows
version. I thought that a Windows version was readable for
everybody, while a Linux version might be a bit harder to read
for a Windows user.

But don't worry. Every single step on both platforms is the
same. The differences are just textual: back slashes instead of
forward slashes, "c:\>" instead of "#" and "xcopy /s" instead
of "cp -af". That's it.
(also, will it work on OS X?)

I think so. I've no test environment, but all components used
in the tutorial are available for OS X. It shouldn't be a
problem. Could you test it?