twenty years ago Guido created Python

Discussion in 'Python' started by Steve Howell, Dec 31, 2009.

  1. Steve Howell

    Steve Howell Guest

    FYI:

    http://twitter.com/gvanrossum

    Python is a truly awesome programming language. Not only is Guido a
    genius language designer, but he is also a great project leader. What
    an accomplishment. Congratulations to everybody who has contributed
    to Python in the last two decades!
    Steve Howell, Dec 31, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Steve Howell

    J Peyret Guest

    On Dec 31 2009, 2:06 pm, Steve Howell <> wrote:
    > FYI:
    >
    > http://twitter.com/gvanrossum
    >
    > Python is a truly awesome programming language.  Not only is Guido a
    > genius language designer, but he is also a great project leader.  What
    > an accomplishment.  Congratulations to everybody who has contributed
    > to Python in the last two decades!


    Notwithstanding all of the above, which are all true, having met
    Guido, I say he is a genuinely nice human being. Go BSD derivatives.
    J Peyret, Jan 1, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Steve Howell

    Krishnakant Guest

    On Fri, 2010-01-01 at 03:25 -0800, J Peyret wrote:
    > On Dec 31 2009, 2:06 pm, Steve Howell <> wrote:
    > > FYI:
    > >
    > > http://twitter.com/gvanrossum
    > >
    > > Python is a truly awesome programming language. Not only is Guido a
    > > genius language designer, but he is also a great project leader. What
    > > an accomplishment. Congratulations to everybody who has contributed
    > > to Python in the last two decades!

    >
    > Notwithstanding all of the above, which are all true, having met
    > Guido, I say he is a genuinely nice human being. Go BSD derivatives.


    Indeed,
    python is a great programming language.
    May be it was not marketted as much as languages like java or not as
    much as platforms like rails.
    But who cares? I must mention here that I am totally blind and the
    talking software (screen reader ) I use on GNU/Linux called Orca is also
    programmed using python.

    And I make web applications and off late started to use pylons ( again
    centered around python).
    I see that python is for 2 kind of programmers.
    one which are absolute beginners to programming itself who want to learn
    the scientific art of programming and the second is the extreme experts
    who need the power and performance nicely balanced.

    Great work!

    happy hfacking.
    Krishnakant.
    Krishnakant, Jan 1, 2010
    #3
  4. Steve Howell

    MRAB Guest

    J Peyret wrote:
    > On Dec 31 2009, 2:06 pm, Steve Howell <> wrote:
    >> FYI:
    >>
    >> http://twitter.com/gvanrossum
    >>
    >> Python is a truly awesome programming language. Not only is Guido a
    >> genius language designer, but he is also a great project leader. What
    >> an accomplishment. Congratulations to everybody who has contributed
    >> to Python in the last two decades!

    >
    > Notwithstanding all of the above, which are all true, having met
    > Guido, I say he is a genuinely nice human being.
    >

    And anyone who says he isn't will be put into the comfy chair! :)
    MRAB, Jan 1, 2010
    #4
  5. Steve Howell

    Steve Howell Guest

    On Jan 1, 9:03 am, MRAB <> wrote:
    > J Peyret wrote:
    > > On Dec 31 2009, 2:06 pm, Steve Howell <> wrote:
    > >> FYI:

    >
    > >>http://twitter.com/gvanrossum

    >
    > >> Python is a truly awesome programming language.  Not only is Guido a
    > >> genius language designer, but he is also a great project leader.  What
    > >> an accomplishment.  Congratulations to everybody who has contributed
    > >> to Python in the last two decades!

    >
    > > Notwithstanding all of the above, which are all true, having met
    > > Guido, I say he is a genuinely nice human being.

    >
    > And anyone who says he isn't will be put into the comfy chair! :)


    And poked with the soft cushions!
    Steve Howell, Jan 1, 2010
    #5
  6. Steve Howell

    dennis Guest

    On Jan 1, 6:04 am, Krishnakant <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 2010-01-01 at 03:25 -0800, J Peyret wrote:
    > > On Dec 31 2009, 2:06 pm, Steve Howell <> wrote:
    > > > FYI:

    >
    > > >http://twitter.com/gvanrossum

    >
    > > > Python is a truly awesome programming language.  Not only is Guido a
    > > > genius language designer, but he is also a great project leader.  What
    > > > an accomplishment.  Congratulations to everybody who has contributed
    > > > to Python in the last two decades!

    >
    > > Notwithstanding all of the above, which are all true, having met
    > > Guido, I say he is a genuinely nice human being.  Go BSD derivatives.

    >
    > Indeed,
    > python is a great programming language.
    > May be it was not marketted as much as languages like java or not as
    > much as platforms like rails.
    > But who cares?  I must mention here that I am totally blind and the
    > talking software (screen reader ) I use on GNU/Linux called Orca is also
    > programmed using python.
    >
    > And I make web applications and off late started to use pylons (  again
    > centered around python).
    > I see that python is for 2 kind of programmers.
    > one which are absolute beginners to programming itself who want to learn
    > the scientific art of programming and the second is the extreme experts
    > who need the power and performance nicely balanced.
    >
    > Great work!
    >
    > happy hfacking.
    > Krishnakant.


    That's incredible.
    dennis, Jan 1, 2010
    #6
  7. Steve Howell

    Chris Jones Guest

    On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 05:06:24PM EST, Steve Howell wrote:

    > FYI:
    >
    > http://twitter.com/gvanrossum
    >
    > Python is a truly awesome programming language. Not only is Guido a
    > genius language designer, but he is also a great project leader. What
    > an accomplishment. Congratulations to everybody who has contributed
    > to Python in the last two decades!


    Interesting to note that Guido's achievements prompt much less response,
    and get much less coverage, than Xah Lee's :)

    I guess Guido's not one to care much about beauty contests anyway.

    HNY,

    CJ
    Chris Jones, Jan 3, 2010
    #7
  8. Steve Howell

    Chris Jones Guest

    On Sun, Jan 03, 2010 at 04:19:02PM EST, Ben Finney wrote:
    > Chris Jones <> writes:


    > > Interesting to note that Guido's achievements prompt much less
    > > response, and get much less coverage […]

    >
    > The entirety of ‘comp.lang.python’ is an ongoing response to Guido van
    > Rossum's achievements (and all the others that make Python great).
    > Mere week- or month-long threads are paltry by comparison.


    That I understand. But my remark was not really about Guido.. but rather
    in a roundabout way, more of a poke at Xah Lee, hopefully avoiding the
    troll-feeding trap. Sorry you missed my point.

    Come to think of it, since I have nothing much to say about python, but
    nevertheless enjoy reading most of the material on this list, this was
    mostly an excuse to wish everyone here a Happy New Year.

    CJ
    Chris Jones, Jan 3, 2010
    #8
  9. Steve Howell

    n00m Guest

    i'm sobered up
    Yes of course Guido and his lang is both superb things
    n00m, Jan 4, 2010
    #9
  10. Steve Howell

    n00m Guest

    Ok, let me evolve a bit my thought.
    Guido is Eropean Culture.
    Now say what was invented by Japanese, by Chinese?
    Nothing.
    Barbaric cultures, they are animals inborn animals.
    Russian Sikorsky built choppers for Eisenhower.
    Look at letter "S" on them -- its his name
    What you know about his destiny?
    You know knothing. Yuou don't know that only the
    greatest Russian composer Rakhmaninov helped him, in America.
    Literally -- by money, the composer gave him all his fortune ~$1500
    Be not this help -- no choppers in America
    n00m, Jan 4, 2010
    #10
  11. Steve Howell

    n00m Guest

    Now tell me:
    what ahat this mobs of yellow, africans, asiats, are doing in
    Stockholm?
    Do you think your govs let me in just to vist England, Norway? Never.
    Its all conditionally. But the fact is. IS.
    You roll our world into abyss of stupidity
    n00m, Jan 4, 2010
    #11
  12. Steve Howell

    n00m Guest

    All swines must be called swines.
    Enough for me.
    This swines killed people in WTC
    and I want them be killed, all this arabs, chechens, chinese
    all this crowds of parasites
    n00m, Jan 4, 2010
    #12
  13. Steve Howell

    n00m Guest

    And you consider us, Russians, as ...
    We are the most kind people, visit me, I owe money but
    feed you and let you drink ocean of votka, champange
    Never confuse Russians with Jews born in Russia
    They looted my country, this bitches
    n00m, Jan 4, 2010
    #13
  14. Steve Howell

    r0g Guest

    n00m wrote:
    > Ok, let me evolve a bit my thought.
    > Guido is Eropean Culture.
    > Now say what was invented by Japanese, by Chinese?
    > Nothing.
    > Barbaric cultures, they are animals inborn animals.
    > Russian Sikorsky built choppers for Eisenhower.
    > Look at letter "S" on them -- its his name
    > What you know about his destiny?
    > You know knothing. Yuou don't know that only the
    > greatest Russian composer Rakhmaninov helped him, in America.
    > Literally -- by money, the composer gave him all his fortune ~$1500
    > Be not this help -- no choppers in America




    Announcement: You can download the latest version of this cutting edge
    bot from here...

    http://www.illiteratexenophobicrantingracistsimulator.ru/usenet_spambot.py

    Plugins available here...

    http://www.illiteratexenophobicrantingracistsimulator.ru/terrible_spelling.py
    http://www.illiteratexenophobicrantingracistsimulator.ru/inconsequential_facts.py
    http://www.illiteratexenophobicrantingracistsimulator.ru/rabid_nationalism.py

    Happy new year everybody!

    Roger.
    r0g, Jan 4, 2010
    #14
  15. Steve Howell

    Chris Jones Guest

    On Sun, Jan 03, 2010 at 10:18:18PM EST, Ben Finney wrote:
    > Chris Jones <> writes:


    [..]

    > > Sorry you missed my point.

    >
    > I didn't, since I attempted to bring it back on topic by expunging the
    > off-topic part of your message.


    Er.. what's 'off-topic' about mentioning that a couple of trolls on this
    list often seem to attract far more interest than a genuine testimonial
    to Guido's achievement?

    > Sorry I failed to salvage the thread.


    Man with a Mission, hehe..

    CJ
    Chris Jones, Jan 4, 2010
    #15
  16. Steve Howell

    n00m Guest

    > Plugins available here...
    Dude, you nothing compared to me.
    I studied physics in Moscow Institute of Applied Physics,
    I left my middle school with Golden Medal
    And you teach me? You who know only 2+2? Are you from Cambridge,
    from Berkley? Wake up, you are simple dumb shit
    n00m, Jan 4, 2010
    #16
  17. > Sorry I failed to salvage the thread.

    Go, quick, these threads are all around us! They are popping up
    everywhere! Go, go, quick! There is another troll thread right there!
    They are encircling us! They keep coming! At least one troll thread
    started on usenet just since I started typing! Quick, quick, do
    something! Do something! Save us!


    --
    Psss, psss, put it down! - http://www.cafepress.com/putitdown
    Daniel Fetchinson, Jan 4, 2010
    #17
  18. Steve Howell

    Steve Holden Guest

    Ben Finney wrote:
    > Daniel Fetchinson <> writes:
    >
    >> Go, quick, these threads are all around us! They are popping up
    >> everywhere! Go, go, quick! There is another troll thread right there!

    >
    > I wouldn't characterise this thread as a “troll threadâ€. If you think it
    > is, that's fine I suppose.
    >
    > I'll continue to try improving the signal to noise ratio (modulo
    > responses like this, sadly) by trying to emit more signal and less
    > noise.
    >

    And I, for one, offer you my thanks for your efforts.

    regards
    Steve
    --
    Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119
    PyCon is coming! Atlanta, Feb 2010 http://us.pycon.org/
    Holden Web LLC http://www.holdenweb.com/
    UPCOMING EVENTS: http://holdenweb.eventbrite.com/
    Steve Holden, Jan 4, 2010
    #18
  19. >>> Go, quick, these threads are all around us! They are popping up
    >>> everywhere! Go, go, quick! There is another troll thread right there!

    >>
    >> I wouldn't characterise this thread as a “troll thread”. If you think it
    >> is, that's fine I suppose.
    >>
    >> I'll continue to try improving the signal to noise ratio (modulo
    >> responses like this, sadly) by trying to emit more signal and less
    >> noise.
    >>

    > And I, for one, offer you my thanks for your efforts.


    Me too. But Ben will not get the Best Sense of Humor Award of 2010 for sure :)
    Although who knows, there is a full year ahead and things can change .........

    Cheers,
    Daniel



    --
    Psss, psss, put it down! - http://www.cafepress.com/putitdown
    Daniel Fetchinson, Jan 4, 2010
    #19
  20. Steve Howell

    n00m Guest

    Ben, go away from here. With all your stupids sigs.
    Do you think are you original?
    You are a stupid animal.
    Guido, Tim Peters, Raymond Hettinger are geniuis.
    I don't know exactly Python mob. Maybe forgot someone.
    You is only a source of depspise for them
    You get your everymonth fucking 1000 e sitting here
    whom are you teaching? This crowds of animals?
    They and you you cant nothing
    n00m, Jan 4, 2010
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Guest
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    3,133
    Peter Seaman
    Dec 19, 2003
  2. XyZed
    Replies:
    21
    Views:
    756
    dorayme
    Jan 17, 2008
  3. Leo Jay
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    226
    Leo Jay
    Jun 13, 2008
  4. john_re
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    261
    john_re
    Apr 4, 2009
  5. W. eWatson
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    115
    W. eWatson
    Sep 5, 2013
Loading...

Share This Page