Twisted book opinions?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Jay Parlar, Feb 9, 2006.

  1. Jay Parlar

    Jay Parlar Guest

    I was hoping to get some c.l.p. opinions on O'Reilly's new Twisted book.

    I'm coming at Twisted as someone who's been programming mainly in
    Python for almost 6 years now, but who's never done any Twisted
    development. I've used some of its prepackaged libraries before (and
    did some custom tweaks to TwistedSNMP), but I don't really know much at
    all about Twisted fundamentals.

    The few reviews on Amazon seem to imply that it's more of a cookbook.
    Would I be better off, for now, trying to get what I can from the
    twistedmatrix.com docs, and then move to the book when I'm comfortable
    with the basics? Or would the fact that I'm already pretty strong in
    Python be enough that I could start with the book?

    I considered posting this to the Twisted list instead, but thought I'd
    try somewhere a little more impartial :)

    Thanks in advance,
    JayP.

    Jay Parlar, Feb 9, 2006

  2. Jay Parlar

    Eddie Corns Guest

    Jay Parlar <> writes:

    >I was hoping to get some c.l.p. opinions on O'Reilly's new Twisted book.

    Well I certainly felt that I understood it better after reading the book.
    OTOH I haven't tried to put that knowledge into practice yet.

    I think calling it a cookbook is misleading, it shows how to do essential
    tasks using fairly complete examples.

    Eddie

    Eddie Corns, Feb 9, 2006

  3. Jay Parlar

    Tim Parkin Guest

    Eddie Corns wrote:
    > Jay Parlar <> writes:
    >

    >>I was hoping to get some c.l.p. opinions on O'Reilly's new Twisted book.

    > Well I certainly felt that I understood it better after reading the book.
    > OTOH I haven't tried to put that knowledge into practice yet.
    >
    > I think calling it a cookbook is misleading, it shows how to do essential
    > tasks using fairly complete examples.

    It's really more of an example based tutorial book than cookbook.
    What it does do really well is 'networking programming essentials'. I
    found it quite a good book and managed to write a distributed ssh cron
    tool in an evening after reading the sections on SSH.

    What I'd really like now is a 'Web Application Development with
    Twisted/Nevow' book that takes off where this 'network protocol'
    oriented book leaves off.

    Tim Parkin

    Tim Parkin, Feb 9, 2006
  4. > It's really more of an example based tutorial book than cookbook.
    > What it does do really well is 'networking programming essentials'. I
    > found it quite a good book and managed to write a distributed ssh cron
    > tool in an evening after reading the sections on SSH.

    I would second that. The examples are very good, and it breaks down
    the code and explains the new concepts.

    > What I'd really like now is a 'Web Application Development with
    > Twisted/Nevow' book that takes off where this 'network protocol'
    > oriented book leaves off.

    I thought the O'Reilly book was pretty decent at describing how to
    setup a web application. It's not entirely complete, but I was able to
    piece together an application with a somewhat complex web application
    on top of it. Twisted made it quite easy.

    --
    Andrew Gwozdziewycz <>
    http://ihadagreatview.org

    Andrew Gwozdziewycz, Feb 9, 2006
  5. Jay Parlar

    Tim Parkin Guest

    Andrew Gwozdziewycz wrote:
    >>What I'd really like now is a 'Web Application Development with
    >>Twisted/Nevow' book that takes off where this 'network protocol'
    >>oriented book leaves off.

    > I thought the O'Reilly book was pretty decent at describing how to
    > setup a web application. It's not entirely complete, but I was able to
    > piece together an application with a somewhat complex web application
    > on top of it. Twisted made it quite easy.

    OK perhaps I wasn't as clear as I could have been. It discusses the use
    of Twisted with web protocols but doesn't really go into the current,
    recommended way to build web applications (because at the time of
    writing the possibility of api changes for nevow/twistedweb2 was quite
    high?). In fact it does say in the book that "..if you are really
    interested in building a web application you should be using nevow.. "
    (paraphrased).

    Tim Parkin

    Tim Parkin, Feb 9, 2006
  6. Jay Parlar

    Jacob Hallen Guest

    In article <>,
    Andrew Gwozdziewycz <> wrote:
    >> It's really more of an example based tutorial book than cookbook.
    >> What it does do really well is 'networking programming essentials'. I
    >> found it quite a good book and managed to write a distributed ssh cron
    >> tool in an evening after reading the sections on SSH.

    >I would second that. The examples are very good, and it breaks down
    >the code and explains the new concepts.
    >
    >> What I'd really like now is a 'Web Application Development with
    >> Twisted/Nevow' book that takes off where this 'network protocol'
    >> oriented book leaves off.

    >I thought the O'Reilly book was pretty decent at describing how to
    >setup a web application. It's not entirely complete, but I was able to
    >piece together an application with a somewhat complex web application
    >on top of it. Twisted made it quite easy.

    The book does Twisted basics very well. The examples are many and they are
    just the right size for grasping how to do things.

    My only gripe is that the way it produces HTML code in the web examples
    is very primitive. You should be using Stan (a very Pythonic DOM) instead
    of the explicit strings that are used throughout the book. Fortunately
    there is an on-line tutorial for Stan, which is very good.

    http://www.kieranholland.com/code/documentation/nevow-stan/

    Jacob Hallén

    Jacob Hallen, Feb 18, 2006