two column layout with drawbacks

Samuel van Laere

Is it possible to make a two column layout that works under IE6 using CSS,
but without using float nor position?
In this case I can not use float and/or position at all, because a lot of
visitors of this website are using older versions of Supernova.
And - as you might know - this gives reading problems like skipping lines of
text of double reading lines.

Any idea's?

cheers,
Samuel van Laere

dorayme

"Samuel van Laere said:
Is it possible to make a two column layout that works under IE6 using CSS,
but without using float nor position?

Frames or tables presumably do not count as solutions "using css" in
your terms. Hang on, is this a trick question like a tripod has three
legs, a unipod has one, what is it called when a camera steadier has 2
legs? Or zero legs?
In this case I can not use float and/or position at all, because a lot of
visitors of this website are using older versions of Supernova.
And - as you might know - this gives reading problems like skipping lines of
text of double reading lines.

Golly! I suppose every second person on this usenet group knows this, I
must be in the odd or even group that does not.

Samuel van Laere

dorayme said:
Frames or tables presumably do not count as solutions "using css" in
your terms. Hang on, is this a trick question like a tripod has three
legs, a unipod has one, what is it called when a camera steadier has 2
legs? Or zero legs?

Well I allready have a layout made using dividers and send IE6 a simple
stylesheet.
At least Supernova users can use it, but it doesn't have colomns.
Golly! I suppose every second person on this usenet group knows this, I
must be in the odd or even group that does not.

Well you just learned it, that makes at least two in this usenet group :)

cheers,
Samuel van Laere

dorayme

"Samuel van Laere said:
Is it possible to make a two column layout that works under IE6 using CSS,
but without using float nor position?
In this case I can not use float and/or position at all, because a lot of
visitors of this website are using older versions of Supernova.
And - as you might know - this gives reading problems like skipping lines of
text of double reading lines. .... and later:

...I allready have a layout made using dividers and send IE6 a simple
stylesheet.
At least Supernova users can use it, but it doesn't have colomns.

If you are happy to deliver the columns to most browsers (modern and not
so modern) in the usual way and have a conditional to deliver a
stylesheet to IE6, that sounds like an intelligent method. I suppose it
just has the drawback that some IE users will not see columns. But this
is often a blessing considering the times I simply turn off an author's
stylesheet to see things in el basic format.

Jonathan N. Little

Samuel said:
Is it possible to make a two column layout that works under IE6 using CSS,
but without using float nor position?

With CSS, then no. How many are going to still be using IE6? Firefox
still works on W2k.
In this case I can not use float and/or position at all, because a lot of
visitors of this website are using older versions of Supernova.
And - as you might know - this gives reading problems like skipping lines of
text of double reading lines.
What is Supernova? Ok, a screenreader...well if they are blind who cares
about columns, (would they really notice)? Use a media type

@media braille, speech {
div.columns { float: none;}