two domains one intranet web server

Steve Steinbeck

We have been moving from an NT domain to an AD Domain and
our latestest move was our data server. We have left our
Intranet server on the old domain. Our web server
accesses a database on the AD domain (which used to be
part of the NT domain) using ODBC. It worked in the NT
Domain and gives us the error you see below.

Can anyone give me a hint as to which direction to go to
get this fixed??

The page cannot be displayed
There is a problem with the page you are trying to reach
and it cannot be displayed.

----------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

Open the mcmorgan home page, and then look for links to
the information you want.
HTTP 500.100 - Internal Server Error - ASP error
Internet Information Services

----------------------

Error Type:
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Disk or network
error.
/Executive/DiarySht/DiarySheet.asp, line 20

Browser Type:

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\) [MVP]

What kind of database? Since this is ODBC, you are likely using a DSN. It is
most probable you had a machine name change when you upgraded the machine.
If so, you simply need to rebuild the DSN.

I would can the ODBC, if at all possible, as it is a perf pig. This means no
more DSN. It is a bit more time consuming to build a connection string, but
once done, much faster access.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think outside the box!

[MSFT]

Hi Steve,

As I understand, your database server is now in AD domain, and the Web
server is still in NT domain. Is this right?

From the error information, it seems the ODBC driver failed to open the
Access database file. Normally, this may be caused by permission issue. The
account used by ASP appliaction has nor permission to read/write the
database. Is the database in an shared folder on the server. Have you grant
Everyone with FULL control permission on the folder? On the web server, can
you access the database by opeing the folder directly?

Luke
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Guest

The database is in a shared directory. The login on the
NT Domain WEB server is a teh NT domain admin and he has
full rights to the share directory. I am able to go the
the network connection I created and open the database
from the WEB server. In addition I can go into the ODBC
conections and "repair" the connection with no problems.
I agree that it apppears to be a permissions issue I just
don't know where to look as I can do all those other
things listed above from the same server.

We did grant EVERYONE rights to the folder the database
exists in, but, we didn't logout and login to get the user
the appropriate access token.

Near as I can tell, I didn't build the intranet server, we
have annoymous acess to everything on the web server. The
asp page access via the ODBC. Do we perhaps need to
unistall and reinstall the ODBC drivers AFTER the domain
change on the data server??

[MSFT]

Normally, we don't need to update the Access ODBC driver.

I suggest you check the IIS to see if the Anonymous access is enabled on
the ASP application. If you don't change the default setting, it will use
the account IUser_Computer to open the access database. This account may
have no enough permission to access the database. You can try the "mirror
account" solution as in this article:

http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2168

Luke
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Steve Steinbeck

Thank you to both Jeff and Luke.

You were both on target with the permissions and the fact
the iusr_machinename needed additional permissions. I
found the specific error in the faq from Jeff #2009. I
grantyed the users read/write rights to the database
share folder and also to the system te mp directory and
was immediately able to access the system.

Thanks for the relief.

Steve