two domains, one site

Tim W

If I have a website at say timw.com and I get a new domain, say
timw.info and I want the same site to appear under both domains how do I
organise that and what is the terminology?

Pretty sure I don't want to duplicate the actual html files for plenty
of reasons they should only be hosted once in one place. Is this
'pointing' that I need? something to do with dns thingies? redirects?

Tim W

Ben Bacarisse

Tim W said:
If I have a website at say timw.com and I get a new domain, say
timw.info and I want the same site to appear under both domains how do
I organise that and what is the terminology?

Pretty sure I don't want to duplicate the actual html files for plenty
of reasons they should only be hosted once in one place. Is this
pointing' that I need? something to do with dns thingies? redirects?

Yes, "pointing" is the thing but that's a rather vague term and can
cause technical confusion (because there is a things called a PTR record
in DNS). You need to set up what's called a CNAME record in the DNS
configuration that applies to timw.info -- the new domain. The effect
being to make "timw.com" the canonical name for "timw.info". Whoever
you get your hosting from should be able do that for you, but if not,
there should be some control panel that lets you do it yourself.

Redirecting is not such a good solution as it involves more traffic.

richard

If I have a website at say timw.com and I get a new domain, say
timw.info and I want the same site to appear under both domains how do I
organise that and what is the terminology?

Pretty sure I don't want to duplicate the actual html files for plenty
of reasons they should only be hosted once in one place. Is this
'pointing' that I need? something to do with dns thingies? redirects?

Tim W

It is called redirect.
Get both domain names from the same source.
Host both domains on the same service.
Redirect "timw.info" to "timw.com".
Any hits on the first will be sent to the second.

Ben Bacarisse

It is called redirect.
Get both domain names from the same source.
Host both domains on the same service.
Redirect "timw.info" to "timw.com".
Any hits on the first will be sent to the second.

Given what we know, redirection is not the best solution. It involves
more DNS look-ups and more HTTP requests. It may even involve more
expense in that using a CNAME requires absolutely no hosting on the new
domain.

Tim W

Yes, "pointing" is the thing but that's a rather vague term and can
cause technical confusion (because there is a things called a PTR record
in DNS). You need to set up what's called a CNAME record in the DNS
configuration that applies to timw.info -- the new domain. The effect
being to make "timw.com" the canonical name for "timw.info". Whoever
you get your hosting from should be able do that for you, but if not,
there should be some control panel that lets you do it yourself.

Redirecting is not such a good solution as it involves more traffic.

thanks Ben. Have been to the hosting control panel and hopefully entered
the right data. Got a message that it might take some hours for changes
to take effect.

Tim W

Ray_Net

If I have a website at say timw.com and I get a new domain, say
timw.info and I want the same site to appear under both domains how do I
organise that and what is the terminology?

Pretty sure I don't want to duplicate the actual html files for plenty
of reasons they should only be hosted once in one place. Is this
'pointing' that I need? something to do with dns thingies? redirects?

Tim W

Perhaps reading
http://www.thesitewizard.com/domain/point-multiple-domains-one-website.shtml
will help you.

Evan Platt

It is called redirect.
Get both domain names from the same source.
Host both domains on the same service.
Redirect "timw.info" to "timw.com".
Any hits on the first will be sent to the second.

bullis, perhaps it's best you stick to giving advice on things you
know - like maybe finger painting or drawing or something.

William Gill

If I have a website at say timw.com and I get a new domain, say
timw.info and I want the same site to appear under both domains how do I
organise that and what is the terminology?

Pretty sure I don't want to duplicate the actual html files for plenty
of reasons they should only be hosted once in one place. Is this
'pointing' that I need? something to do with dns thingies? redirects?

Tim W

What you ask is a common requirement, and most if not all hosting
companies provide a way to do it. I have seen them call it different
names (i.e. parked domains vs add on domains), and know they implement
it differently, but that should be transparent to you. Look at your
hosting service documentation for the various "types of domains" they
support, one should say clearly it does what you want.

Some of the suggestions here (i.e. redirect, rewrite, etc.) address some
of the mechanisms, but since I doubt you have your own server you don't
need to get that involved.

Tim W

What you ask is a common requirement, and most if not all hosting
companies provide a way to do it. I have seen them call it different
names (i.e. parked domains vs add on domains), and know they implement
it differently, but that should be transparent to you. Look at your
hosting service documentation for the various "types of domains" they
support, one should say clearly it does what you want.

Some of the suggestions here (i.e. redirect, rewrite, etc.) address some
of the mechanisms, but since I doubt you have your own server you don't
need to get that involved.

Yeah, i am sure it is just everyday and easy but it isn't working for
me. Godaddy is the host of the spare domain so I logged in and found
'domain forwarding' and set it to point elsewhere but 24hrs later it
still doesn't do anything.

Tim w

Ben Bacarisse

Tim W said:
Yeah, i am sure it is just everyday and easy but it isn't working for
me. Godaddy is the host of the spare domain so I logged in and found
domain forwarding' and set it to point elsewhere but 24hrs later it
still doesn't do anything.

If you provide the domain names, we (well, I and anyone else so
inclined) can have a look to see what's up.

Ben Bacarisse

Tim W said:
Update is I have it working now. What an unholy mess is the godaddy
control panel? Saints preserve us!

Yes, it works here too, but they've done it with a 302 redirect. Not
how I'd do it, but maybe I'm the odd one out. 302 is supposed to be for
temporary redirects.

Tim W

Yes, it works here too, but they've done it with a 302 redirect. Not
how I'd do it, but maybe I'm the odd one out. 302 is supposed to be for
temporary redirects.
That was me trying to force the Control Panel to save/update my settings
by changing something but then I couldn't change it back, LOL but I have
been able to now.

William Gill

Yeah, i am sure it is just everyday and easy but it isn't working for
me. Godaddy is the host of the spare domain so I logged in and found
'domain forwarding' and set it to point elsewhere but 24hrs later it
still doesn't do anything.

Tim w

I no longer have any GoDaddy accounts, so my access to their help is via
Google search, and fragmented, but I see something Godaddy calls an
alias domain. This is what you want to do used to be called, but the
terminology seems to have diverged. Look at their documentation for
Aliases (as opposed to secondary domains).
http://support.godaddy.com/help/article/8342/adding-domain-names-to-your-hosting-account

I'm not sure forwarding is exactly what you want. If I recall
forwarding is for when two different hosts are involved, but may work
for you. It is how some hosts do it, even though they call it something
else, but not sure what/how GoDaddy does things. I know some hosts use
various forwarding mechanisms to add domains, but you should focus on
what their documentation says they can do, and not on how they do it.

William Gill

That was me trying to force the Control Panel to save/update my settings
by changing something but then I couldn't change it back, LOL but I have
been able to now.

I suspect it's because you did it via redirect, which produce HTTP 3XX
status codes, like 300 Multiple Choices, 301 Moved Permanently, 302
Found (i.e. moved temporarily), etc.

I think aliased domains produce the same status codes as requests to the
original domain would produce (200 OK, 404 Not Found, etc)

William Gill

Thanks, a different method to the 301 redirect.

Tim W

If you have one site with two domain names (both names displaying the
same pages) and you are hosted on GoDaddy, what you want is called an
aliased domain. Look at the GoDaddy help/info for the how to, and stop
looking at all the various methods of redirecting or re-writing.
Aliased Domain is intended for the exact purpose you describe, and will
not send the browser confusing HTTP status codes.