    of reasons they should only be hosted once in one place. Is this
    'pointing' that I need? something to do with dns thingies? redirects?

    Tim W

    Tim W, Nov 11, 2013

  2. Tim W <> writes:

    > If I have a website at say timw.com and I get a new domain, say
    > timw.info and I want the same site to appear under both domains how do
    > I organise that and what is the terminology?
    >
    > Pretty sure I don't want to duplicate the actual html files for plenty
    > of reasons they should only be hosted once in one place. Is this
    > pointing' that I need? something to do with dns thingies? redirects?

    Yes, "pointing" is the thing but that's a rather vague term and can
    cause technical confusion (because there is a things called a PTR record
    in DNS). You need to set up what's called a CNAME record in the DNS
    configuration that applies to timw.info -- the new domain. The effect
    being to make "timw.com" the canonical name for "timw.info". Whoever
    you get your hosting from should be able do that for you, but if not,
    there should be some control panel that lets you do it yourself.

    Redirecting is not such a good solution as it involves more traffic.

    --
    Ben.

    Ben Bacarisse, Nov 11, 2013

  3. Tim W

    richard Guest

    On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 09:47:46 +0000, Tim W wrote:

    > If I have a website at say timw.com and I get a new domain, say
    > timw.info and I want the same site to appear under both domains how do I
    > organise that and what is the terminology?
    >
    > Pretty sure I don't want to duplicate the actual html files for plenty
    > of reasons they should only be hosted once in one place. Is this
    > 'pointing' that I need? something to do with dns thingies? redirects?
    >
    > Tim W

    It is called redirect.
    Get both domain names from the same source.
    Host both domains on the same service.
    Redirect "timw.info" to "timw.com".
    Any hits on the first will be sent to the second.

    richard, Nov 11, 2013
  4. richard <> writes:

    > On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 09:47:46 +0000, Tim W wrote:
    >
    >> If I have a website at say timw.com and I get a new domain, say
    >> timw.info and I want the same site to appear under both domains how do I
    >> organise that and what is the terminology?

    <snip>
    > It is called redirect.
    > Get both domain names from the same source.
    > Host both domains on the same service.
    > Redirect "timw.info" to "timw.com".
    > Any hits on the first will be sent to the second.

    Given what we know, redirection is not the best solution. It involves
    more DNS look-ups and more HTTP requests. It may even involve more
    expense in that using a CNAME requires absolutely no hosting on the new
    domain.

    --
    Ben.

    Ben Bacarisse, Nov 11, 2013
  5. Tim W

    Tim W Guest

    On 11/11/2013 11:34, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
    > Tim W <> writes:
    >
    >> If I have a website at say timw.com and I get a new domain, say
    >> timw.info and I want the same site to appear under both domains how do
    >> I organise that and what is the terminology?
    >>
    >> Pretty sure I don't want to duplicate the actual html files for plenty
    >> of reasons they should only be hosted once in one place. Is this
    >> pointing' that I need? something to do with dns thingies? redirects?

    > Yes, "pointing" is the thing but that's a rather vague term and can
    > cause technical confusion (because there is a things called a PTR record
    > in DNS). You need to set up what's called a CNAME record in the DNS
    > configuration that applies to timw.info -- the new domain. The effect
    > being to make "timw.com" the canonical name for "timw.info". Whoever
    > you get your hosting from should be able do that for you, but if not,
    > there should be some control panel that lets you do it yourself.
    >
    > Redirecting is not such a good solution as it involves more traffic.

    thanks Ben. Have been to the hosting control panel and hopefully entered
    the right data. Got a message that it might take some hours for changes
    to take effect.

    Tim W

    Tim W, Nov 11, 2013
  6. Tim W

    Ray_Net Guest

    In article <l5q942$j3k$>, says...

    > If I have a website at say timw.com and I get a new domain, say
    > timw.info and I want the same site to appear under both domains how do I
    > organise that and what is the terminology?
    >
    > Pretty sure I don't want to duplicate the actual html files for plenty
    > of reasons they should only be hosted once in one place. Is this
    > 'pointing' that I need? something to do with dns thingies? redirects?
    >
    > Tim W

    Perhaps reading
    http://www.thesitewizard.com/domain/point-multiple-domains-one-website.shtml
    will help you.

    Ray_Net, Nov 12, 2013
  7. Tim W

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 14:08:03 -0500, richard <>
    wrote:

    >It is called redirect.
    >Get both domain names from the same source.
    >Host both domains on the same service.
    >Redirect "timw.info" to "timw.com".
    >Any hits on the first will be sent to the second.

    bullis, perhaps it's best you stick to giving advice on things you
    know - like maybe finger painting or drawing or something.

    Evan Platt, Nov 12, 2013
  8. Tim W

    Tim W Guest

    On 12/11/2013 00:28, Ray_Net wrote:
    > In article <l5q942$j3k$>, says...
    >>
    >> If I have a website at say timw.com and I get a new domain, say
    >> timw.info and I want the same site to appear under both domains how do I
    >> organise that and what is the terminology?
    >>
    >> Pretty sure I don't want to duplicate the actual html files for plenty
    >> of reasons they should only be hosted once in one place. Is this
    >> 'pointing' that I need? something to do with dns thingies? redirects?
    >>
    >> Tim W

    > Perhaps reading
    > http://www.thesitewizard.com/domain/point-multiple-domains-one-website.shtml
    > will help you.

    Thanks, I read it ~ timw

    Tim W, Nov 12, 2013
  9. Tim W

    William Gill Guest

    On 11/11/2013 4:47 AM, Tim W wrote:
    > If I have a website at say timw.com and I get a new domain, say
    > timw.info and I want the same site to appear under both domains how do I
    > organise that and what is the terminology?
    >
    > Pretty sure I don't want to duplicate the actual html files for plenty
    > of reasons they should only be hosted once in one place. Is this
    > 'pointing' that I need? something to do with dns thingies? redirects?
    >
    > Tim W

    What you ask is a common requirement, and most if not all hosting
    companies provide a way to do it. I have seen them call it different
    names (i.e. parked domains vs add on domains), and know they implement
    it differently, but that should be transparent to you. Look at your
    hosting service documentation for the various "types of domains" they
    support, one should say clearly it does what you want.

    Some of the suggestions here (i.e. redirect, rewrite, etc.) address some
    of the mechanisms, but since I doubt you have your own server you don't
    need to get that involved.

    William Gill, Nov 12, 2013
  10. Tim W

    Tim W Guest

    On 12/11/2013 16:45, William Gill wrote:
    > On 11/11/2013 4:47 AM, Tim W wrote:
    >> If I have a website at say timw.com and I get a new domain, say
    >> timw.info and I want the same site to appear under both domains how do I
    >> organise that and what is the terminology?
    >>
    >> Pretty sure I don't want to duplicate the actual html files for plenty
    >> of reasons they should only be hosted once in one place. Is this
    >> 'pointing' that I need? something to do with dns thingies? redirects?
    >>
    >> Tim W

    > What you ask is a common requirement, and most if not all hosting
    > companies provide a way to do it. I have seen them call it different
    > names (i.e. parked domains vs add on domains), and know they implement
    > it differently, but that should be transparent to you. Look at your
    > hosting service documentation for the various "types of domains" they
    > support, one should say clearly it does what you want.
    >
    > Some of the suggestions here (i.e. redirect, rewrite, etc.) address some
    > of the mechanisms, but since I doubt you have your own server you don't
    > need to get that involved.

    Yeah, i am sure it is just everyday and easy but it isn't working for
    me. Godaddy is the host of the spare domain so I logged in and found
    'domain forwarding' and set it to point elsewhere but 24hrs later it
    still doesn't do anything.

    Tim w

    Tim W, Nov 13, 2013
  11. Tim W <> writes:
    <snip>
    > Yeah, i am sure it is just everyday and easy but it isn't working for
    > me. Godaddy is the host of the spare domain so I logged in and found
    > domain forwarding' and set it to point elsewhere but 24hrs later it
    > still doesn't do anything.

    If you provide the domain names, we (well, I and anyone else so
    inclined) can have a look to see what's up.

    --
    Ben.

    Ben Bacarisse, Nov 13, 2013
  12. Tim W

    Tim W Guest

    On 13/11/2013 02:17, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
    > Tim W <> writes:
    > <snip>
    >> Yeah, i am sure it is just everyday and easy but it isn't working for
    >> me. Godaddy is the host of the spare domain so I logged in and found
    >> domain forwarding' and set it to point elsewhere but 24hrs later it
    >> still doesn't do anything.

    > If you provide the domain names, we (well, I and anyone else so
    > inclined) can have a look to see what's up.

    Kind of you. the site I made several years ago is at
    http://www.stickydate.info and the owner has obtained
    www.stickydate.co.uk from godaddy and asked me to 'put a link on it or
    something' but I don't know what you would be able to see.

    Tim W

    Tim W, Nov 13, 2013
  13. Tim W

    Tim W Guest

    On 13/11/2013 08:50, Tim W wrote:
    > On 13/11/2013 02:17, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
    >> Tim W <> writes:
    >> <snip>
    >>> Yeah, i am sure it is just everyday and easy but it isn't working for
    >>> me. Godaddy is the host of the spare domain so I logged in and found
    >>> domain forwarding' and set it to point elsewhere but 24hrs later it
    >>> still doesn't do anything.

    >> If you provide the domain names, we (well, I and anyone else so
    >> inclined) can have a look to see what's up.
    >>

    > Kind of you. the site I made several years ago is at
    > http://www.stickydate.info and the owner has obtained
    > www.stickydate.co.uk from godaddy and asked me to 'put a link on it or
    > something' but I don't know what you would be able to see.
    >
    > Tim W

    Update is I have it working now. What an unholy mess is the godaddy
    control panel? Saints preserve us!

    Tim W

    Tim W, Nov 13, 2013
  14. Tim W <> writes:
    <snip>
    > Update is I have it working now. What an unholy mess is the godaddy
    > control panel? Saints preserve us!

    Yes, it works here too, but they've done it with a 302 redirect. Not
    how I'd do it, but maybe I'm the odd one out. 302 is supposed to be for
    temporary redirects.

    --
    Ben.

    Ben Bacarisse, Nov 13, 2013
  15. Tim W

    Tim W Guest

    On 13/11/2013 11:10, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
    > Tim W <> writes:
    > <snip>
    >> Update is I have it working now. What an unholy mess is the godaddy
    >> control panel? Saints preserve us!

    > Yes, it works here too, but they've done it with a 302 redirect. Not
    > how I'd do it, but maybe I'm the odd one out. 302 is supposed to be for
    > temporary redirects.

    That was me trying to force the Control Panel to save/update my settings
    by changing something but then I couldn't change it back, LOL but I have
    been able to now.

    Tim W, Nov 13, 2013
  16. Tim W

    Ammammata Guest

    Il giorno Mon 11 Nov 2013 10:47:46a, *Tim W* inviava su alt.html il
    messaggio news:l5q942$j3k$. Vediamo cosa scrisse:

    > how do I
    > organise that and what is the terminology?

    assuming your homepage is www.timw.com/index.htm, in site2 homepage (even
    blank) put this line in the <head> :

    URL=http://www.timw.info/index.htm">

    1 means 1 second delay

    --
    /-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ T /-\
    -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- - -=-

    ............ [ al lavoro ] ...........

    Ammammata, Nov 13, 2013
  17. Tim W

    William Gill Guest

    On 11/12/2013 8:31 PM, Tim W wrote:
    > On 12/11/2013 16:45, William Gill wrote:
    >> On 11/11/2013 4:47 AM, Tim W wrote:
    >>> If I have a website at say timw.com and I get a new domain, say
    >>> timw.info and I want the same site to appear under both domains how do I
    >>> organise that and what is the terminology?
    >>>
    >>> Pretty sure I don't want to duplicate the actual html files for plenty
    >>> of reasons they should only be hosted once in one place. Is this
    >>> 'pointing' that I need? something to do with dns thingies? redirects?
    >>>
    >>> Tim W

    >> What you ask is a common requirement, and most if not all hosting
    >> companies provide a way to do it. I have seen them call it different
    >> names (i.e. parked domains vs add on domains), and know they implement
    >> it differently, but that should be transparent to you. Look at your
    >> hosting service documentation for the various "types of domains" they
    >> support, one should say clearly it does what you want.
    >>
    >> Some of the suggestions here (i.e. redirect, rewrite, etc.) address some
    >> of the mechanisms, but since I doubt you have your own server you don't
    >> need to get that involved.
    >>

    > Yeah, i am sure it is just everyday and easy but it isn't working for
    > me. Godaddy is the host of the spare domain so I logged in and found
    > 'domain forwarding' and set it to point elsewhere but 24hrs later it
    > still doesn't do anything.
    >
    > Tim w

    I no longer have any GoDaddy accounts, so my access to their help is via
    Google search, and fragmented, but I see something Godaddy calls an
    alias domain. This is what you want to do used to be called, but the
    terminology seems to have diverged. Look at their documentation for
    Aliases (as opposed to secondary domains).
    http://support.godaddy.com/help/article/8342/adding-domain-names-to-your-hosting-account

    I'm not sure forwarding is exactly what you want. If I recall
    forwarding is for when two different hosts are involved, but may work
    for you. It is how some hosts do it, even though they call it something
    else, but not sure what/how GoDaddy does things. I know some hosts use
    various forwarding mechanisms to add domains, but you should focus on
    what their documentation says they can do, and not on how they do it.

    William Gill, Nov 14, 2013
  18. Tim W

    William Gill Guest

    On 11/13/2013 6:55 AM, Tim W wrote:
    > On 13/11/2013 11:10, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
    >> Tim W <> writes:
    >> <snip>
    >>> Update is I have it working now. What an unholy mess is the godaddy
    >>> control panel? Saints preserve us!

    >> Yes, it works here too, but they've done it with a 302 redirect. Not
    >> how I'd do it, but maybe I'm the odd one out. 302 is supposed to be for
    >> temporary redirects.
    >>

    > That was me trying to force the Control Panel to save/update my settings
    > by changing something but then I couldn't change it back, LOL but I have
    > been able to now.

    I suspect it's because you did it via redirect, which produce HTTP 3XX
    status codes, like 300 Multiple Choices, 301 Moved Permanently, 302
    Found (i.e. moved temporarily), etc.

    I think aliased domains produce the same status codes as requests to the
    original domain would produce (200 OK, 404 Not Found, etc)

    William Gill, Nov 14, 2013
  19. Tim W

    Tim W Guest

    On 13/11/2013 14:35, Ammammata wrote:
    > Il giorno Mon 11 Nov 2013 10:47:46a, *Tim W* inviava su alt.html il
    > messaggio news:l5q942$j3k$. Vediamo cosa scrisse:
    >
    >> how do I
    >> organise that and what is the terminology?
    >>

    > assuming your homepage is www.timw.com/index.htm, in site2 homepage (even
    > blank) put this line in the <head> :

    > URL=http://www.timw.info/index.htm">
    >
    > 1 means 1 second delay

    Thanks, a different method to the 301 redirect.

    Tim W

    Tim W, Nov 16, 2013
  20. Tim W

    William Gill Guest

    On 11/16/2013 5:46 AM, Tim W wrote:
    > On 13/11/2013 14:35, Ammammata wrote:
    >> Il giorno Mon 11 Nov 2013 10:47:46a, *Tim W* inviava su alt.html il
    >> messaggio news:l5q942$j3k$. Vediamo cosa scrisse:
    >>
    >>> how do I
    >>> organise that and what is the terminology?
    >>>

    >> assuming your homepage is www.timw.com/index.htm, in site2 homepage (even
    >> blank) put this line in the <head> :

    >> URL=http://www.timw.info/index.htm">
    >>
    >> 1 means 1 second delay
    >>

    > Thanks, a different method to the 301 redirect.
    >
    > Tim W

    If you have one site with two domain names (both names displaying the
    same pages) and you are hosted on GoDaddy, what you want is called an
    aliased domain. Look at the GoDaddy help/info for the how to, and stop
    looking at all the various methods of redirecting or re-writing.
    Aliased Domain is intended for the exact purpose you describe, and will
    not send the browser confusing HTTP status codes.

    William Gill, Nov 16, 2013