Two fiendish applet problems

Discussion in 'Java' started by JavaEnquirer, May 20, 2005.

  1. JavaEnquirer

    JavaEnquirer Guest

    1. We use IE6 on Windows 2000 and I've developed a Java 1.5 applet. The
    problem is, HTMLConverter doesn't seem to work. If the 1.5 jre/plug-in
    is present on the client machine the applet runs fine, otherwise, it
    does not. I thought that if the required jre wasn't present, the
    HTMLConverter generated tags would initiate a download. Instead, IE
    complains that ActiveX has been disabled. However, every ActiveX
    property on IE6 has been set to enabled.

    2. We have customised a 3rd party product to launch a URL if a certain
    button is clicked. If the URL points to a standard HTML page everything
    works fine. However, if the URL points to an applet page, the applet
    does not get launched in the new browser window - instead, it hijacks
    one of the existing windows and blows up. The application launching my
    browser/applet is also an applet. I've tried javascript to launch my
    applet in yet another window, but that doesn't work either.

    Could the problem stem from the fact that th 3rd party applet is run
    via Oracle's JInitiator? Has any one had problems mixing JInitiator
    applets with normal ones which are trying to use the browser's default
    plugin.

    Many thanks in advance.
    JavaEnquirer, May 20, 2005

  2. On 20 May 2005 09:22:39 -0700, JavaEnquirer wrote:

    > 1. We use IE6 on Windows 2000 and I've developed a Java 1.5 applet. The
    > problem is, HTMLConverter doesn't seem to work. If the 1.5 jre/plug-in
    > is present on the client machine the applet runs fine, otherwise, it
    > does not.

    You are far better off using the conventional <applet> element
    and either the JavaVersionApplet or Java WebStart for the the
    versioning requirements. However..

    It might be that you have specified a specific version of
    1.5, rather than simply '1.5 or greater'.

    Failing that, you might need to post the malformed HTML produced
    by HTMLConverter, or a link to the page.

    > 2. We have customised a 3rd party product to launch a URL if a certain
    > button is clicked.

    In a ..pop-up window?

    >...If the URL points to a standard HTML page everything
    > works fine. However, if the URL points to an applet page, the applet
    > does not get launched in the new browser window -

    Oh yeah, that's a pop-up.

    >..instead, it hijacks one of the existing windows and blows up.

    SP2? In this day and age it is rather dangerous to rely on
    showDocument(url), let alone showDocument(url, "_blank").

    I suggest you redesign your web app around a single window.

    However I think these problems lie deeper than pop-up blockers.

    >..The application launching my
    > browser/applet is also an applet. I've tried javascript to launch my
    > applet in yet another window, but that doesn't work either.

    Bit lazy is it? Tried flogging it?
    <http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#exact>

    > Could the problem stem from the fact that th 3rd party applet is run
    > via Oracle's JInitiator?

    Quite possibly. The readme* mentions installing the Oracle JVM,
    that might be clashing with the existing JVM.

    *
    <http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/developer/files/1.3.1.18/readme.html>

    HTH

    --