Two Installations of Ruby

highlyjhi

I'm running Mac OS 10.4.9 with Ruby 1.8.2 installed by default. I
updated to 1.8.6 but I installed it in /Users/jeremy/bin instead of
the default /usr/bin/ So when I go to "ruby -v" it still says 1.8.2.
How do i either move ruby into the correct directory or how do I
change the path to ruby to the new directory? I'd prefer to move
1.8.6 to a different spot outside of my home directory.

Thanks,
Jer

highlyjhi

Great! But when I close Terminal it's back to the default. How do I
keep this way?

Sebastian Hungerecker

Fred said:
Ah right, forgot about that. edit your ~/bashrc file to read:

PATH=PATH=/Users/jeremy/bin:$PATH

Two things: a) It'd have to be export PATH=/Users/jeremy/bin:$PATH
b) bash isn't the default shell on OSX, so he'd have to put it into the
~/.tcshrc or whatever shell he's using.

HTH,
Sebastian

Gregory Brown

b) bash isn't the default shell on OSX, so he'd have to put it into the
~/.tcshrc or whatever shell he's using.

Um... Maybe in 10.1 or 10.2, but it's been default 10.3 on up, IIRC

Sebastian Hungerecker

Gregory said:
Um... Maybe in 10.1 or 10.2, but it's been default 10.3 on up, IIRC

Oh, my knowledge must be out of date then. Sorry for spreading misinformation.

Tim Hunter

highlyjhi said:
Is it possible to install the new version of Ruby over the old on OS X?
Yes, but you probably don't want to.

If you let the ./configure script use the default --prefix, Ruby will
get installed in /usr/local. Then all you have to do is add /usr/local
to your PATH in your ~/.profile file in front of the default PATH, like
this:

export PATH=/usr/local:$PATH

You can read about PATH and .profile by entering

man bash

in a Terminal window, or just Google it.